“Nice to have something this good in Penfield!”

Signatures at the Humphrey House
Ranked #1 of 50 Restaurants in Penfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Excellent meal - wonderful take on the calamari, good wine list, entrees were terrific (duck, scallops and shellfish pasta). The ONLY thing i would like to suggest to owners is to reduce the noise...

1  Thank luckylady525

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I recently had a bad experience at Signatures. I hadn't wanted to make this public but since the owners never responded to my letter of complaint with an apology and a statement that they would work on correcting the issues I faced, I feel it is now appropriate to warn other diners.

I took a friend to Signatures for a birthday lunch. She has digestion problems and is, in particular, allergic to onions. She ordered a sandwich and chose for her side, a cup of tomato soup. She asked the waitress if the soup contained onions and was told it did not. When she started to eat the soup she tasted onion and we called the waitress over and asked her to verify with the kitchen that there were no onions. The soup did, in fact, contain onions. My friend had an important meeting the next day and she became concerned that she might have to miss it. It was all downhill from there. The waitress removed the soup - and NEVER EVEN APOLOGIZED OR OFFERED TO BRING ANOTHER SIDE. I called her back over and asked her to please bring another side. (At no time did either of us lose our tempers nor did we even mention our displeasure to the waitress. It was very civil. We were trying to make this "special" event special, but by now, it sure wasn't!) It took a long time for the replacement side to arrive, at which point lunch was pretty much over. Shortly after that, the waitress presented us with a bill, although I had not requested it. The waitress never asked if we might want coffee and dessert.

I thought the management might appreciate a letter describing our experience - apparently not, since they did give me the courtesy of a reply.

In particular, I am concerned Signature's lack of concern about allergy issues. No restaurant can afford to ignore this. I have grandchildren with allergy problems and an uninformed (or lazy) waitress could kill them.

And a waitress who doesn't know the basics of service (like offering a replacement for an inedible item, asking patrons if they want another drink, or offering coffee or dessert at the end of the meal) needs training - or to find another job.

There are lots of fine restaurants in Rochester - choose another one! I know I will.

3  Thank longponder
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Although this is a small town, as a suburb of Rochester we have very discerning taste. This gem of a restaurant in an old historic home is big on flavor and great food. Friendly owners and staff, only willing to please. Nice neighborhood bar feeling with metro decor. You won't be disappointed. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I wasn't overwhelmed by my dinner but it wasn't bad. My wife and I took my father, aunt and a friend out one night and it was good. They have a great new deck and I will likely go back on a nice summer evening for dinner.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Looking for an above average atmosphere for lunch and the pictures and reviews looked promising. What an understatement. The French Onion soup had an interesting bread instead of the usual soggy white stuff and was spread with apple butter and topped with (I forget now what) great cheese. Well carmelized onions and not overly salty. Perfect on a winter day. My salad was outstanding and interesting with great dressing. Dining companions had the meatloaf sandwich - well above ordinary, and an interesting and tasty salad special. Sadly we were too full for dessert. Service was friendly and conscientious.