“Awful Experience - Must read!”

Lillian's Restaurant & Party House
Ranked #5 of 48 Restaurants in Penfield
Cuisines: Italian, Ukrainian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Webster, New York
“Awful Experience - Must read!”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I typically do not blog and review meals even after a bad experience, but I could not resist this time. We went to this restaurant for my mother's birthday, and we were the first people in the restaurant dining area at 5:45 PM. We had five adults and one child. The remainder of the dining room filled up over the next 30 minutes. We ordered shortly after 6:00 PM from our waitress, and asked at about 7:00 PM where our main meal was? The waitress acted almost annoyed that we were upset and asking this. Not once did she come out and say "we are sorry the food is taking so long, it will be up shorty". We literally watched two tables that sat AFTER us order, receive and eat their meal, and leave before we even had our meal on the table!! And basically every table in the restaurant had their meal on the table before we did (remember we were FIRST in the restaurant!). We asked to speak to the owner, and her excuse (not apology) was that the Chicken Kiev takes a long time - However NO ONE ordered Chicken Kiev at our table!! Once we advised her of this, she literally disappeared, and we did not see her the rest of the night! We then waited about 15 more minutes, and the waitress returned with our meals and served them over a 5 minute period, NOT SAYING A WORD. It was uncomfortable to say the least, and totally unacceptable. The surf and turf was a joke - no potato or vegetable on the plate, just a rubbery piece of lobster and a low grade piece of meat improperly cooked (claimed to be angus). I have had much more satisfying meals at McDonalds.
We were asked "everything ok?" about four times in a robotic manner by the waitress who still made us feel like we were an annoyance to her. We should have been asked if there was anything else that could be done for us.
The owner knew we were very upset, but again, WAS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. A neighboring table saw what occurred, and in pity gave us one of their coupons for $12 off of a meal. Here is the best part - I thought we would have been approached by the owner who would have emphatically apologized, and offered us at least some type of compensation (25% OFF? Free dessert? Anything!). However, not only did this not happen, but the waitress acted snotty towards us and dropped the full price bill on the table and walked away!!
I have experienced poor service and food at other establishments, but at those establishments there is ALWAYS an apology and attempt to make it right.
I am beyond disappointed, and cannot believe that this restaurant is in business and this happened while the owner was there!
We absolutely will not return to a place that treats paying customers this way, and will share our story with friends and family.

• Visited December 2013
5 Thank Bryan M

Fairport, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great people, great food!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I have visited now twice in the past few months and both times we were very impressed with the food, wait service and overall dining experience. They always seem to make time for us even though we have shown up twice without reservations and their dining rooms were very full. Just a great time and some very nice people.

• Visited November 2013
Rochester, New York
“Wonderful local restaurant”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We love this restaurant, had an excellent meat there on a Friday night, the service and food could not have been better. Lillian greeted us warmly at the bar, I had Lillian;s chicken for dinner and my husband had the lasagna, the portions are quite generous and we enjoyed our meals very much. The bread is homemade, as are the soups. Everything was excellent, and they clearly take pride in the details and in making sure their customers are happy. We are returning with good friends again soon, this is our new favorite place!

• Visited November 2013
Fairport, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quickly Arranged, Special Luncheon, great food, service, resonable cost”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A cousin who lived nearby, recommended Lillian's for a luncheon after a Memorial Service and unveiling of a plaque to honor the 40th anniversary of my husband's death, whose remains are in Washington Memorial Cemetery in NJ. It was the only restaurant in the vicinity of White Haven Cemetery that served lunch on Saturdays. We ordered individually from the menu with most ordering Lillian's Delicious, which they said were THE BEST!!. Two ladies ordered soup and sandwiches, so I asked that a cup of soup be served to all. Good choice. My uncle and I ordered the homemade tripe. DELICIOUS!!,-The soup and tripe were just like my Mom's.. (All the entrees` were generous in portion.) Lillian graciously plated the Italian cookies and small pastries I brought to serve with coffee.(N/C) and supplied small containers for family to take home the left over sweets. (We did not forget Lillian and staff.) My two daughters, who were my co-hostesses and could not believe how reasonably priced it was. Lillian's son was our server plus her personal attention. Without being effusive, they were in attendance clearing, refilling glasses and coffee cups while we enjoyed time reminiscing as each one told a favorite story about my husband who was 38 years old at time of his death. I could not have been happier with the results. Luncheon was a success for me and family. -- Something my husband would have enjoyed too..

When I was finally able to return to Lillian's after a long period of time, I was impressed she recognized me and recalled the details of my "impromptu" arrangements at the time my older daughter was visiting from Colorado. Now that I live in the area, I have been back numerous times and have not been disappointed with my choices. It includes a dinner meeting earlier in the year for my SR/Singles group of men and women. Comments on those occasions will be submitted at another time.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Anne Z
Aurora, Colorado
“Boring food!”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Party of fourteen service was slow and we did make reservations. Baked fish was very small portion and dry for 14-16 dollars. The last dish came out as the first person was finishing their meal. Crazy! after the tip and taxes it was $20 per person on the average. There was only two other tables that were sat. I think they needed more help in the kitchen. One veal dish smelled funny and was sent back. Was not worth the time!!

• Visited May 2013