“Too Small”

Barrington Cellars Winery
Ranked #24 of 29 things to do in Penn Yan
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Sadly I visited this winery during the Keuka Holidays event and we were on a bus tour of 26 people arriving among other tour groups and it was horribly congested. There was only one door open and people going in and out were bottle-necked at the door. In my opinion that is a fire hazard. Too congested to shop as I could not even entertain the thought of cutting through the crowds to shop and probably could not see anything among the people anyhow. I did taste the wines and the girl really assisted me with my selections and in spite of the crowds she stayed with me for all four samplings. So that saved me from flunking this winery. If they want to do the holiday event correctly, they need to open another door to improve the flow of people, or expand the building, or forget about having these events. Too small, period.

1  Thank foodfan1960
All reviews
"great view of the lake"
"gift shop"
"wine tasting"
"reds"
"bottle"
"stop"

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Disappointed by the greeting we received and total laid-back approach. Neither attendant knew anything about the wines we were tasting, from what grape it was, how it was blended or the history. Both individuals working there said, in fact, they had never even met the winemaker. Wines were mediocre at best and the lack of engagement disappointing. Would leave this one off my list next time.

2  Thank MRL217
ColleenBF, Public Relations Manager at Barrington Cellars Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2016

Since we are a boutique family winery we do not have a "floor show" for the tasting. We allow visitors to decide for themselves what they want to taste and in what order. We try to allow our wines to speak for themselves; that's why we invite you to taste them.

Also, I can't imagine how any of our tasting staff can say they have never met the winemaker; Most of us are family and the "assistant winemaker" often works in the wine shop when it's busy.

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I visited many of the winiaries in the area during my stay ,this place in my oppinion had the best selection and highest quality wine. Stunning spot to boot.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Barrington Cellars offer some fruit wines and desert wines quite unlike any others around Keuka. Their reds were okay; I focused more on their sweeter whites for a change. The pear wine was my favorite and well worth trying! Tasting was included in the Passport we bought at another winery's gift shop, which I would recommend if you are tasting. It's $12 for tastings at seven wineries and includes many coupons for B&Bs (like the Fox Inn in Penn Yan where we stayed; see my review) and restaurants.

The view was pretty, like many of the wineries in the area, with vineyards all around. They have a deck where you are welcome to have a bagged lunch or enjoy some wine. It's worth a stop!