“Above average, but not Top”
Review of Top of the Lake

Top of the Lake
Ranked #6 of 44 Restaurants in Penn Yan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Above average, but not Top”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We had a lovely table on the terrace and a great view but even with reservations they told us we would have to wait a few minutes. The restaurant was not overly busy and yet they turned away two people ahead of us, which we couldn't understand. The service was slow but our server was very pleasant which generally made up for the wait. The food was good, but took a while to arrive, and the portions were generous. They told us when we arrived that their credit card machine wasn't working and we would have to pay cash. Overall, a good meal but not memorable.

Stanley, New York
“Beautiful location!!! The food had it's ups and downs.”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I loved the salad we shared. It was a bit high priced so I did not order it at first but saw how lovely it was at another guests table which made me realize it was worth the price. It had mandarin oranges, walnuts, olives, etc. We chose the ranch dressing and it was just so-so. I should have asked if any dressings were made on site. The broiled fish Friday night was a bit dry and tasteless. The tartar sauce was poor taste, so I used largely the nice lemon wedge served with the fish. The fried fish looked a lot better, but I was trying to cut back on fat. That is why I spent the required $1.00 upcharge to trade French fries for a baked potato. Our waitress was wonderful...prompt, cheerful, clean, competent. What a lovely view. Some items on the menu are overpriced, but I was there more for the view than the meal. I hope the restaurant continues to have daily specials but keeps some options at less than $20 for those of modest income.

1 Thank Appreciatetheday
Piscataway, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dinner August 9, & 10, 2014”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We loved the food the service and the view so much we went back for a second night. You will receive a large portion of food, so much so a take home bag is going to be needed. When you get the bill and see the value you will come back for a 2nd night too.

Visited August 2014
Clermont, Florida
“Good but not the top”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had a reservation for 7:30 outside. When we arrived they told us we didn't book out side. They sat us outside and we had to wait for our server to come over to talk to us. The restaurant was busy but not packed. The prime rib was outstanding and cooked to perfection, the pasta was good too. The filet with bacon/blue cheese was good too. Overall food good, service lousy & price a little high. I would try it again.

1 Thank NancyG121
Dallas, Texas
“Top of The Lake Seems Closer To The Bottom”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The name may be The “Top” of the Lake but the service and food lies closer to the bottom. I don’t mind slow service as long as the food is above average…but the lasagna…I ate maybe a quarter of it trying to figure out what I was eating. The sauce had virtually no seasoning…garlic, oregano, salt, pepper would have helped but there were still some issues with the chunks of meat within. I actually took the unfinished portion home and tried some for lunch the next day…then I remembered why I didn’t finish it the night before and threw the rest away.

Had the food and service been good the prices would have seemed a whole lot better.