“Worth a return visit”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penn Yan
Trimmer House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 13 Penn Yan B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“Worth a return visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

My Trimmer House stay was for one night, but I wish I could have stayed the week. The cozy B&B is just of the beaten path, so I was thankful for a quiet night. "Bessie's" room was nicely appointed and comfy. I was graciously checked-in by host Yang and she had some good tips as to dinner choices in town. I especially liked the guest fridge under the stairs with free soft drinks and a snack to try after a long drive. I had coffee on the front porch and watched a Mennonite wagon clip clop down the street. Breakfast was hearty and served family style. I would return again, for a longer stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Hudsonaire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

Though my wife and I are very familiar with the Finger Lakes wine region, this was our first stay at a B&B in Penn Yan. We chose The Trimmer House based on numerous recommendations from locals we know both personally and professionally, which raised our comfort level even before checking in.

The inn's location is on a quiet, tree-lined section of Penn Yan's Main Street, and the owner was waiting for us when we arrived. We settled quickly into our beautiful room, and as it was a trip to wine country, we were ready to apply the "When in Rome …" philosophy at our earliest convenience. We'd brought a special bottle of wine (it was our anniversary) and some cheeses, and though it was certainly a special request, the owner graciously provided us with a serving tray, cheese knives, and wine glasses for us to enjoy our wine. Even better, though, was the front porch of the inn where we spent the evening. We relaxed, chatted with the owner and his wife (as well as other guests returning from their busy days), and enjoyed the sounds of horses pulling Amish wagons into and out of town as a backdrop. It couldn't have been more enjoyable. As we considered our itinerary for the next day, the owner was very helpful in helping us plan the best route to experience the signature wineries on Keuka and Seneca lakes, with plenty of insider's tips for good measure.

Our room, as mentioned, was beautifully-appointed, and perhaps most importantly, the bed was VERY comfortable. Plenty of room for our things, and a private bathroom, too. The bathroom was not en-suite, but contrary to what others have posted, there was really no danger of exposing yourself to other guests in the house. Our room was at the end of a quiet hallway, and it's about two steps from the bathroom to the bedroom. As long as you're not pre-disposed to lingering in the foyer without a bathrobe or towel around you, your modesty will be preserved.

Breakfast the following morning was delicious - an impressive spread of fresh belgian waffles, french toast made with the owner's homemade bread (including the most important component: top-quality maple syrup), egg dishes, perfectly fresh fruit, and various breakfast meats. Perhaps better than the food, though, was the effortless conversation that took place between us, the owners, and the other guests. We all shared our impressions of the area, our plans for the weekend, and exchanged tips and well-wishes before heading out for the day. To me, that's what the B&B experience is all about.

I have had as many poor B&B experiences as I have had great ones, but our stay at the Trimmer House falls safely into the latter category. In fact, my only regret is that our stay was limited to one night. It is a sure bet that we'll return to the Trimmer House in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wineaux68
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

We all know that there is seldom a 100% true representation of anything via the internet. I assumed that "private bath" would be the scenario most would expect, which is a bathroom en suite. We arrived to find our "private'" bath was a room across the hall from us. Yes..it was only a few steps away, but our room was located on the first floor just near the main staircase and in full view of the front door, dining room area. I was horribly uncomfortable with that to start with. I feel the owner should have explained the setup to us when we booked the room. We did not request a specific room, so perhaps it was the only one left ? Had we known that in advance we would have never booked it, and would have requested a different room or gone elsewhere. Price wasn't an issue.
I think the owners are interested in making money like everyone in this economy. We were in the area to attend another event so didn't want to waste any time chatting or making friends with other guests. My fiance emailed the owner weeks in advance to ask if there was an option for a private breakfast. We were told that it would not be a problem. Once again..he should have been honest and said "we don't really want to do that " Honesty would have once again resulted in our looking elsewhere..When we did arrive and remind them of the private breakfast request ,it suddenly became an issue. She was quite hesitant and didn't seem to want to comply. The first morning they brought a small tray to our room which was fine with us. The second morning when my fiance went to get coffee early ,she asked if we would come out and get our own breakfast. In other words..they seemed lazy and not willing to ensure your comfort once they have your credit card number. As I previously stated, we would have never booked there in the first place if we had been dealt with honestly..
In the interest of fairness..the B&B itself is immaculately clean and beautifully furnished.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MistressTalia
Delmar, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

The hosts were perfect - helpful but not cloying, friendly without being pushy. The home is spotless inside and out. Our room was charming, and I especially enjoyed the clawfoot tub - took 3 baths in 2 days! Everything you could wish for has been thought of and provided. This is a wonderful place to stay to tour the wineries on the Finger Lakes. Buckwheat pancakes and muffins are a specialty, so breakfasts were a real treat.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Delmar, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2008

My husband and I really liked the Trimmer House. We found the owners to be pretty helpful and friendly and went there to enjoy each others company, not to make friends with the owners so I guess I don't understand the previous guests complaints! They did give us restaurant recommendations and served a really delicious breakfast both mornings we were there. We loved the hot tub and the front porch for coffee in the morning (they prepare coffee early if you want to have that before breakfast is ready). We would definately stay there again!

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2008

After reading all the reviews, and especially the owner's response, I feel compelled to also tell about my experience at the Trimmer House. My husband and I love going to the Finger Lakes, and had stayed at this B & B with friends several years ago. The B & B itself was fine. It was nicely decorated, the room and the bed were comfortable. But we have a running joke with our friends that the owner of the B & B is the rudest person we've ever met at a B & B. (And between both couples, we have collectively stayed at a lot of B & Bs.) Until I read all the reviews (and the owner's response), I wasn't sure if the owner was the same person. But, the owner at the time we stayed was a professor who taught hospitality at a nearby college. This was great, because he is perhaps the least hospital B & B owner/host I've ever experienced. He would not talk to us at all. We had eaten at a number of places in and around Penn Yan, but were interested in finding out what he recommended. He wouldn't tell us. He never came around during meals, and had his hospitality students do all the breakfast cooking, serving and cleaning. The hospitality students were very pleasant (unlike their instructor). It's not like you go to a B & B in the Finger Lakes to hang out in your room or at the B & B. But, since the room was comfortable, and I liked the hot tub, I might return. My main piece of advice if you are going to stay is to beware of the owner. As you have probably gleaned from many of the postings, he is quite a piece of work!

• Liked — the rooms
  • Disliked — the host
  • Stayed April 2005, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank 2banonymous1
Rochester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2007

A relaxing week-end at the Trimmer House B&B was just what my husband and I needed to relieve the stress of the city.
The Trimmer House is a very nicely decorated and comfortable home located in the quaint town of Penn Yan, New York. It is Ideally located near two of the Finger Lakes, Keuka and Seneca Lake.And it is in the heart of wine country!
On the recomendation of our hosts, we visited some of the
better local wineries. They were very easy to find with their direction.We dined at at The Wagner House, a historic restaurant. suggested by our hosts. Good food.
Enjoying the relaxed atmoshphere ,I read my book in one of the two victorian sitting rooms available for guests to use. My husband and I took advantage of the hot tub ,a calming amenity that one usually does not find at a B&B. Our bed room was large, and as well decorated as the rest of the house. The mattress was very plushy!
On the last morning of our stay , our friendly hostess served us hot homemade banana pancakes. Yummy! All in all it was a great stay at the Trimmer House !

• Liked — location to the wineries
  • Disliked — limited shopping
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penn Yan
Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
#1 of 9 in Watkins Glen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,148 reviews

Been to Trimmer House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!