“Dangerous!”

The Town Tinker Tube Rental
Ranked #8 of 9 things to do in Phoenicia
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I came thisclose to drowning today! On top of that my legs are bruised and ripped up from getting thrashed about over rocks. Had no idea how dangerous the conditions were. I took my son and his 3 friends for the outing. Thank God it was me and not them that experienced what I did. Luckily good samaritans rescued me.
THANK YOU to Wes and his wife Linda!!!!! Another friend of theirs also went to the boys to let them know I was okay. What if they weren't there to help me?

9  Thank GoPixi

Reviewed 3 August 2012

although the water of the Esopus was very low as long as you could manuever the tube you could get down the water with little problems. very safe they supply helmets and life jackets' you supply the sun screen. not good for people that are young I would have to limit this adventure to ten or older (as long as they know how to swim well)

1  Thank sue k
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My family and had a very POOR experience at Town Tinker Tube Rental. When I arrived at Town Tinker on Saturday July 14, 2012, after a 3-hour drive, I was told at the check-in window that, contrary to Town Tinker's CURRENT website posting, today was NOT a water release date and that the flow was average (Class 2) rather than whitewater (Class 4). When I asked why their website did not advise customers of this change, the Owner butted into the conversation I was having with the employee and told me, "This was posted on the Alerts. You have to read the alerts." When I again pointed out that their website was incorrect, the Owner got VERY DEFENSIVE and RUDE and started yammering away about how I should have checked the "Alerts." Hey, I 'get' that this is seasonal business and that the tube rental guys have no control over when water is released from the reservoir, but Town Tinker absolutely misled its customers. Yes, indeed, their very own website did say, under the "Water Release Dates" tab----- where anyone would obviously look first-----, that it was a water release day. On a DIFFERENT page, there is a hyperlink called "Updates and Alerts." When one clicks on this, it takes one to Facebook. Well, I dont use Facebook! Hundreds of millions of other people in the USA don't either, so I don't think it's unusual that when I find myself on Facebook, I click Back. I will not use this business again because the Owner is so desparate for business, he misled his customers.

7  Thank Dixie_Willet
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I remember tubing the Esopus when I was about 14 (around 25 years ago), and I don't remember us being in any danger, I'm guessing we were either in another section or the water was running a lot higher... my fiancee and I went for the gusto the other day, and still have the bruises to prove it. There are a TON of rocks that you cannot avoid, I'm almost surprised neither one of us snapped a leg. There is still a lot of debris up and down the creek that could use cleaning out as well. I hate to be a downer because I love fun on the water, but you better be prepared for a bumpy ride on this course, I'd almost advise going with a helmet.

4  Thank Weezulman
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I was at Town Tinker Tube Rental on Thurs July 5th and the description below by "retromaven" is very accurate. The only thing I would disagree on is calling the tube rental service and amenties are great. The business is run by teenagers out of a old barn. They just want to collect your money and send you on your way. The only honest person in the entire operation in the bus driver. He will tell you what to really expect when you are on the river.
Once you enter the river there is no way out of it. There are no employees to help you enter the river and there are no checkpoints along the way to ask for help. About 15 minutes into the river you will approach a very strong section of rapids in relatively shallow water with large rocks on both sides of you. I was thrown out of my tube and hit my head on the rocks and my legs went numb. I was dragged by the currents for a few minutes with my feet and legs smacking against the rocks until I could regain my senses and swim to the rocky shore. It took me a hour on the side of the river to recover enough to make the journey down the rest of the river. Also, the locals have posted numerous "No Trespassing" signs along the rocky shore and will not offer assistance to an injured person. Three hours after I began, I limped to the final bridge and climbed upon the river bank to dry land with a broken right foot and cuts and bruises to both legs, back, and shoulder.
This in no way is an "adventure". It is a poorly run and dangerous death trap.

19  Thank Nipsey R