“What a delightful discovery”
Review of Tavern 214

Tavern 214
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Phoenicia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Craft beers & cocktails, a smart wine list, and a seasonal menu that reflects a strong "farm to table" philosophy. Tavern 214 is set in the bucolic Catskill Mountains, just a few steps from the Stony Clove Creek. Dine outdoors on the covered patio or cozy up to the fireplace in this 1920's Colonial Tavern, newly restored by your hosts, Peter & Vivian Diaz.
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We always enjoy getting out and experiencing a local restaurant. This one caught our eye and then caught our tastebuds. Don't let the name Tavern deter you as this restaurant has been recently updated and offers a menu of gourmet meals and craft beverages from around the world. It remains a cozy and casual establishment with very reasonable prices but the food is absolutely top draw. Everything is fresh and sourced locally. The chef has years of restaurant experience and he, his wife and their employees were very engaging and friendly. We left thinking we are enjoyed a wonderful meal shared in the fellowship of new friends.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Food, ambiance-- first-rate. The only drawback is that the owner is excited about her and her husband's new restaurant. She came by our table to check-in/chat about three times, perhaps one time too many. The over-eager manner belied the intimate, cozy feel and delicious high-end and comfort food -- lobster mac'n cheese and burger were killer; there was practically an entire, and very fresh, lobster. It's a petty complaint on my part, but if that's the only knock, something that she can easily fix...

I can't imagine a better restaurant in 30 miles.

2  Thank Justin R
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Been here twice both times disappointed.
The atmosphere is very nice and the bar certainly attracts customers but it ends there.
The first time I ordered the rib eye. It came with a brown sauce that hid the steak, so I ate a lot of fat that night. Then there was the creamed spinach. Very strange taste. When I asked the server what the flavor was, she dashed off to the kitchen and came back with a grin. Its pernod, she said. Everybody loves it. This diner didn't. The oven roasted potatoes were so seasoned and undercooked that they were not eatable. My wife ordered the trout with asparagus. She couldn't eat the asparagus. They were grilled too much, raw in the middle and tasted burned.
For desert I ordered apple pie with vanilla bean ice cream. It was served stuffed in a mug. And the waited served it with a big smile on her face, like to was a joke.
The second visit did not go well either. After I ordered drinks the waiter returned to tell me there was no more proseco left. All right, I ordered something else. For appetizer we ordered the roasted figs with prosciutto wrap. He returned to tell me there were no more figs but he could substitute pears, which turned out to be very unripe, a lot like a crispy apple My wife ordered the quesidelia and said she was glad she knew what it was supposed to be. Couldn't tell otherwise. I ordered their signature Mac & Cheese with Lobster. It should be named Mac & Cheese soup. The lobster was quite old. Didn't take a chance on desert.
As an aside, each time the waited took plates away, we were instructed to keep our forks and/or spoons. Maybe they were out of clean cutlery too.
I think the chef/owner is to be commended for his effort but in trying to be different, he goes a little too far.
Can't say for sure we'll go back. Maybe/Maybe Not.

4  Thank TtravelerJohn
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Unexpected and excellent. Two night there were perfect. 1st class waitstaff and kitchen. Innovatgive menu, good wine list, lots of beers, very nice bar. Very clean, beautifully decorated with candles and white table clothes, This is the real deal at a very, surprising accessible price. Don't miss it. Just off Main Street.

Thank JAMES T. F
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We had taken a long drive planning on a German dinner, only to find a 2 hour wait. Hit the road away from heavy NYC traffic, found this gem.

Hostess was very attentive, decor was beautiful, very modern but tasteful, romantic setting. Had some of the best craft and imported beers, excellent selection. Bread was warm, artisan, and an extra charge salad was very much worth it.

All three of us went with the bone in ribeye, it was incredible! Great cut, perfectly done, with great fingerling potatoes, creamed spinach, wonderful seasonings, beyond our expectations. Outstanding. Thought we'd come back just for the steaks, then got a look at the monster size pork chops - looked 3 inches thick.

We'll be back!