“Weird and Fabulous”

Mystery Spot Antiques
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Phoenicia
More attraction details
Owner description: Our 16th Season! 2017 Fall hours: open Saturdays 11 - 5, Sundays 11 - 4 + holidays through Thanksgiving weekend. (Then we'll take a winter break with a few pop-ups). Described by Country Living magazine as "a love-at-first-sight wonderland of oddball collectibles, vintage clothing, and objects d'art," Mystery Spot Antiques is part store, part museum, part odditorium, and a whole lot of fun! Named for Homer & Langley, the infamous Collyer Brothers, this obsessive and artistic "Shrine to Clutter" is packed to the rafters with unusual antiques, tons of estate-fresh vintage clothing, 1,000's of used records & killer vinyl, found objects, mid-century, OOP art books, and downright oddities such as the Creepy Doll Exhibit, Petey the Petrified Piranha, and Desdemona, the Devil Girl of Phoenicia. Heck, even when are doors aren't open, customers are welcome to dig through our dollar record bins and our famous YARD SALE IN A BOX on the front porch, with an honor money drop at your service.
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I bought the most AMAZING pair of purple boots here, and the owner even gave me a 10% discount that I wasn't expecting. There is so much interesting stuff to look at it will blow your mind...a true indoor flea market! If you are a collector, this place is a MUST. Truly a one-of-a-kind store in a lovely location in the Catskills.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"shop"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I first stumbled into the Mystery Spot around 7 years ago. Winding our way past shelves of mysterious and strangely meaningful objects, we deduced that they had been collected and arranged by an artist (and we've since learned that we were right.) We return to the Mystery Spot whenever we can because we always find what we didn't know we desperately needed: charming old photos of people we wish we knew; beautifully illustrated out-of-print books; funky light fixtures; summer dresses from a freer time; and lots and lots of records.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

I live 8 hours away. Anytime I'm anywhere nearby I make a point of stopping in. Great fun. Great shop. Look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Having been to the Mystery Spot several times over the last few years, I'm finally getting around to mentioning it here. Visiting this shop, amongst several fun places in Phoenicia, is always a delight & lots of fun. My favorite part is the back room filled with vintage vinyl records. The books & even some of the clothing always hold a surprise as well...you can spend hours looking around here. If that weren't enough, owner Laura sells her own world class art (of the folky variety), and photography (of the rock & roll variety). If I had more $$$ several of her pieces would be in my collection. Next time you're passing thru the Catskills, grab a bite in town & spend some time at the Mystery Spot!

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stop into Mystery Spot every so often when we're in the area. I'm not an antiques person and I happen to find 60-yr old clothes and shoes to be kind of gross. But I like to sort through the books and the old family photos on display. My mom gets a kick out of the array of clothes and "garage sale in a box" items on the front deck and the slot where you put money if you're purchasing something when the store is closed. So with all this in mind, I was surprised this past weekend when I visited the store and found the owner to be so unfriendly (downright rude, in fact). First, I asked if there was a rest room available. I didn't really expect there to be, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. The answer was "ummm.... Not really" and then she opened the door to the bathroom right in front of me! Next, my father - a retired, professional photographer - was admiring one of the cameras that was on display. She snatched it out of his hands and said, "I need to assist customers with that. Can't you see the tag?" And proceeded to point out the microscopic, dust covered tag that said to ask for help - a tag he was apparently supposed to read from the shelf on which the camera sat. After that we just called it quits and headed into some of the other shops, which is sad because I'm sure my parents would have picked up a few items. Maybe she was just having a bad day or maybe she just doesn't care about how customers perceive her, but the owner definitely needs help in the manners department.

hokeypix, Owner at Mystery Spot Antiques, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are sorry we do not have a public restroom. The room you mentioned is in fact our dressing room and it is reserved for our customers to try on vintage outfits they are considering purchasing. We take great pride in our eleven years of business, repeat customers, and consistently positive reviews.