“Beautiful design in a great location”
Review of The Graham & Co.

The Graham & Co.
Ranked #1 of 2 Phoenicia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I have stayed here twice recently with my husband and baby. This place is beautifully designed - yes, hipster is the word - very clean and functional too. Couldn't find anywhere so modern and stylish in the Catskills. We stayed in the Deluxe Double, which had a kitchenette and plenty of room for our baby needs. Very relaxed, peaceful place and the staff were really friendly. Great location - beautiful surroundings and great restaurants a few minutes walk away. Lots of nice touches - free use of bikes, board games, a free beer upon arrival.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Let's forget the words "Brooklyn" and "hipster" for a moment, which I see are far too overused here on ta. Graham and Co. has a sense of style and simplicity that appeal to a wide range of sensibilities, and I believe set a new standard for what a modern hotel/Inn/BB can achieve. Graham and Co. really stands out by providing experience. You can have a good time hanging out by the pool, watching a movies outside, checking out town and the surrounding area on bikes, playing cards and boardgames. I was with a few friends and we made great use of the fire pit. Details like shampoo and soap you'd look forward to using, elegantly landscaped pool, soft and crisp sheets, potted herbs and plants between rooms, beer on check in are memorable and will make you want to come back. The staff was helpful and nice. You would expect the price to be higher with the way everything looks at Graham and Co., but it is extremely reasonable. I wish I could give half a star, because only a few minor items prevent Graham and Co. from excellence.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Naomi D
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Renovated motel in a hipster chic refurbished style. Nothing too fancy just well thought out rooms with beautiful grounds. Owner and staff friendly and helpful. Walk to town 10 min, bike 5, drive 1. Bikes are available to borrow as well as board games, bocce, badminton and fire pit. Too cool for the pool but it is enclosed which is great for my toddler's safety. No AC but unnecessary while there. Only stayed one night in two bed deluxe suite with stove, fridge with freezer and sink. No microwave or tv. Coffee, tea and water provided at front desk. Beer or bottled water given at check in. All in all would stay again and highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank vlanyc
Reviewed 20 August 2013

If you're reading this, you've likely heard the deal: Brooklyn refugees buy a motel and zazz it up into a West Elm meets Williamsburg outpost in tiny-town Catskills. That's all correct and they've done a very nice job. Your other options in this area are slim, or more B&B with tacky furniture, or over in Kingston or something.

Yes, there's no AC. Yes, there isn't much furniture. Yes, it's a pretty laid back joint. But none of this should be significant points against the place. I was a bit surprised at the sparse—it was a bit moreso than expected. But at the end of the week we really weren't IN our room that much. The true joy is out and about in the Catskills or in any of the abundant "places to go" that make this destination a respite from city craziness.

The staff was receptive as needed, the place clean and as advertised, and the area wonderful. If you know and love words like Kimpton and Tablet and Yelp, this will likely meet your reasonable but elevated expectations. If you're looking for a Jetsetter property, this probably ain't it.

NOTE: Kudos to Jessicaggh's review, which is pretty much the most accurate of the bunch.

P.S. There are bears, but they're more into the trash than you.

Room Tip: Room #13 is the furthest from the (quiet) road and has the least chance of having annoying neighbors...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chriswooster
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We booked this motel many months ago - the website was adorable and it is 5 minutes from my son's sleepaway camp where we were going for visiting day. It wasn't until about a week prior to our visit that I learned they did not have A/C. To be honest, I never thought about inquiring as the website is super contemporary I just assumed A/C was part of the package.
When I spoke with someone at the motel and expressed our concerns as there was a major heat wave going on in New York, they were kind enough to credit one of the two nights we were booked for. Therefore we did end up staying one of the nights.
I must admit, despite the lack of A/C, the motel is adorable. It is rustic modern but even more threadbare than one would expect. This doesn't bother me because the less there is in the room makes it more likely the room is clean - which it certainly was. The beds were actually very comfortable, however the heat made it difficult to sleep well. The staff was extremely helpful and kind. The pool was a perfect temperature and there was a nice fire pit in the evening on the grounds.
All in all, if they put in A/C it would be fantastic. Hopefully they will!

Room Tip: Bring fans!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Melanie M
Reviewed 3 July 2013

It's tough to know where to start. Motel is in a sleepy little town (population 309 according to Wikipedia). Design is cool and comfortable. Cool little welcome book was helpful except that on the cover which features a bunch of random things they love, they list both " air conditioning" and "heated pools" - neither of which they actually have at Graham and Co. and neither of which is clear from their website. We stayed in a deluxe room with kitchenette. Great, very livable space for four nights, despite what seemed to be never ending rain. Beds super comfy, room spacious, no complaints here. Was glad I had read other reviews about things like room cleaning (they only service if you put a tag on the door requesting it). We stayed Fourth of July week. The pool was too cold to enjoy, though I did get in up to my waist due to a stubborn need to say I went into the pool. The Graham and Co. Website mentions things like movie nights and breakfast. Be forewarned that this is weekends only. During the week, it's a carafe of regular coffee and that's it - (no decaf, no hot water for tea, no breakfast items). Atmosphere is hip, but friendly. Definitely a bit of unexpected camaraderie among the guests. Maybe it was the rain, maybe it would have been better if we weren't in the rain. Crazy issue with shower and sink plumbing - noises abound and scary enough that I called my husband in and got out of the shower with the conditioner still in my hair. Air and pressure build up in the lines was his final assessment. Hotel staff just shrugged their shoulders and acted like this was a new problem. Who knows! Note to the women out there - don't wear your white jeans or shorts if its raining. I have been unsuccessful cleaning two pairs that were stained from the backsplash of rain off their deep blue colored driveway. Good thing I didn't bring the designer denim. All in all, would I be back? Yes, because there is nothing cooler for a hundred miles and I'm willing to bet that some of these things improve over time. In many ways, they have so many of the details right - beer at check in, full size shampoo and conditioner that smelled amazing, free bikes, cards and board games, free wifi, plenty of towels, hammocks, the list goes on. What was most important to me? That by the beginning of the second day, I felt totally relaxed, which is no small feat. Amazing what no cell service, no agenda, friendly staff and a comfy little motel room can do. Despite all of the above glitches, I have a warm place in my heart for Graham and Co.

Recommend: Peekamoose (amazing), Phoenicia Diner. Suggest packing your own charcuterie, cheeses and liquor/wines from home. Selection in town is slim. Great boutique in town called Home. Check it out.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jessicaggh
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I should have read the reviews more carefully. As stated, the website shows a great place and we booked a room for two nights near a wedding we were attending. First reaction was that this was a renovated old motor lodge and we were disappointed before even seeing our room. A very nice young woman was in the office and gave us our key and a map of town. Our disappointment with our choice of lodging continued when we saw the room. Rustic chic maybe?.....I kept thinking that someone had scoured Pinterest for inexpensive but cool ways to renovate an old house....galvanized pail for the bathroom waste can, pipe fitting for the toilet paper holder, mason jar with flowers, framed remnant of an American flag, Edison lights hanging from cords. Negatively, the refrigerator still had eaten food from the last guests and the ceiling light did not work. We were not going to be spending much time in the room so we tried to make the best of our stay. There were quite a few young people from NYC staying there and I imagined it was a great getaway if you lived in a city apt and wanted a pool and some greenery. For those who want comfort and count on a quiet night of sleep, go elsewhere. Our neighbors were talking and laughing until early hours in the morning and the walls are thin. There is no AC which was not necessary during our stay but we had to close the windows due to the noise and then the room was stuffy. No phone number was provided to contact the management if necessary
Breakfast was very good although it is served from 8-10 and I did not see it get replenished so you benefited from going early. There was excellent coffee although no decaf and no hot water for tea. There were muffins, fruit, hard boiled eggs and V8. Weather was conducive to enjoying the meal outside at a table.
There was no information provided in the room regarding local sites, checkout time, numbers to call in case of emergency, etc.
This is not inexpensive lodging and while there is evidence of effort on the part of the owners to provide a unique experience there were too many negatives to recommend it to most of the people I know who enjoy weekend getaways

Room Tip: If you want quiet at night, you might ask for an end room away from the road. The larger rooms have...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank innseekerNewJersey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenicia
Hotel Dylan
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to The Graham & Co.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Graham & Co.

Address: 80 State Route 214, PO Box 570, Phoenicia, NY 12464-5131 (Formerly Cobblestone Motel)
Region: United States > New York > Catskill Region > Phoenicia
Free Parking Kitchenette Suites Swimming Pool
Ranked #1 of 2 B&Bs / Inns in Phoenicia
Price Range: £81 - £104 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — The Graham & Co. 3*
Under construction. Opening soon! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers and Hotels.com so you can book your The Graham & Co. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Cobblestone Hotel Phoenicia