“Awesomely cozy”

Ranked #1 of 2 Pine Bush B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Awesomely cozy”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I was here for a wedding in and was incredibly comfortable and felt well coddled by Barbara and Mark. They run a flawless operation, with spotlessly clean linens, delicious food, and a perfect bed. I was impressed with the little touches like a sleep sound generator (to break up the silence -- not mask noise), great movie and tv selection, in-room coffee, cookies in the afternoon, brownies at night, and a great feeling of privacy (rare in most B+Bs). I would come back again to this perfect spot and it makes me feel good to know places like this still exist.

Room Tip: I liked my Cabernet Suite -- bathroom was in another part of the floor (but is for your exclusive us...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Shorn34

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 July 2012

This past weekend my wife and I attended a wedding in the wilds of southeastern New York State in a town called Crawdad. No, wait…that's not it. Cragsmoor. That's it. And we had the immense good fortune to stay nearby in the town of either Pine Bush or Pinebush at the most wonderful, magical bed and breakfast anyone could ask for, the Pine Bush House, owned and run by Mark and Barbara Grey.

Wowie! And I mean that sincerely. What a place! What hosts! What food! I have read all of the reviews I could find on this lovely inn and none of them exaggerate. It really is as good as everybody says.

From the minute we arrived to a warm greeting and a giant pile of home made chocolate chip cookies until the minute we left to a round of hugs, our visit was more pleasant than I had ever imagined it could be. I personally tend to be a private, grumpy kind of guy and I normally try to avoid well-meaning hospitality personnel when I travel. I had always shied away from bed and breakfasts for this reason, because I didn't want to have to deal with well-meaning hosts. Mark and Barbara totally blasted that problem away. They are so friendly and sincere and pleasant and fun that, to my surprise, I was drawn out during the hours we were at the house. Even now, I feel like we somehow met new friends and stayed at their house all at the same time. And I'm honored. The Greys are awesome people.

The property? Well, the house is gorgeous. It is a kind of magical amalgam of high tech and antique charm that somehow totally works. All of the important modern comforts and pleasantries like flat screen TV, snazzy coffee makers, and computer and wireless network complete with Mark's server full of movies were there, not to mention an incomprehensible but fun high tech shower with enough gizmos and knobs and nozzles to keep me interested for weeks (get the Zinfandel suite!). And in that same room was a little wooden footstool to help you climb up onto the tallest bed I have ever experienced. Everything was totally clean and new and authentic and stylish and comfortable…and I'm a guy. I'm sure my wife noticed a lot more.

No review of Pine Bush House can be complete without mentioning the food. Barbara is an unbelievable cook who is not only skilled and creative, but also attentive to each person's individual needs. Breakfast was beyond amazing in quality, quantity and variety. Who ever had two different kinds of butter with their scones, and each kind of butter had at least three flavors to it? I wish I could remember what they all were, but I don't feel too bad because even Mark flunked this test. Only Barbara can keep all of the food details straight. And whenever you are hanging around the house, all kinds of cookies and brownies and things seem to just pop out of thin air like some kind of Harry Potter comfort food spell.

Suffice to say that I am trying to figure out how to get back there for no other reason than to just spend another weekend in that warm, wonderful house with those warm, wonderful people. Do yourself a favor and visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Alameda, California
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Our group rented the entire house, and everyone enjoyed the fine hosts and the great rooms. They're one of the best couples to run a B&B and they maintain only the finest in decor, food, and amenities. The A/C ran great (which was important due to the heat wave), the music/TV/movies access in each room was the best I've ever seen, and the breakfast and baking were outstanding. Highly recommend the Pine Bush House and Mark/Barbara to anyone going that way.

Room Tip: Especially recommend the Chardonnay room - great four poster bed.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Central MA
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Our stay at Pine Bush House was extremely wonderful. It is one of the better B&Bs we’ve stayed in and we cannot wait to go back. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. Both Mark and Barbara were super sweet and very attentive. Breakfast was to die for, and there were always fresh baked snacks some where. It is a very comfortable and inviting house, and Mark and Barbara have paid great attention to all the details they’ve put into it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Mississippi
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Because of flight delays and missed connections, my 6pm arrival was actually midnight! As I quietly climbed the porch stairs, out the front door flew Barbara. She greeted me as if it were early afternoon telling me she believed I needed a smile and a hug after my long travel. She then gave me fresh, out of the oven scones with jams, and a hot cup of tea. That was only the beginning. The Kabernet room was sooooo comfy, and since I had the house to myself for a day, walking to my private bath was not an issue. Rocking on the front porch emersed in its surroundings I hardly notice the traffice flowing in the world beyond. Breakfast to my taste with perfect 4 minute eggs and scones with yummy strawberry/thyme or orange/honey butters to die for not to mention afternoon cookies to snack on. Mark came home from a business trip and between he and Barbara, I felt like I was with family. My regret is that I did not plan on a longer stay. So when you go, plan on at least 2 or 3 nights.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Astoria, New York
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here overnight the weekend before Valentine's Day. The owners, Barbara and Mark, pay exceptional attention to detail. When we arrived, we were warmly greeted by Mark and given a tour of the property. Barbara had set out warm brownies and raspberries as an afternoon arrival treat. Every inch of the house is beautiful w/ ornate details and Victorian decor. Our room, was on the top floor, and equipped w/ an Apple TV, IPOD dock, electric fireplace, wine chiller, and coffee maker. For dinner, we walked down the road to a delicious Asian vegetarian restaurant called Pure City (highly recommended). Breakfast was superb - lemon ricotta pancakes w/ fresh strawberries (and bacon for the meat eaters). Yum! Barbara even sent us on our way w/ a bag of homemade cookies. Double Yum!

Room Tip: The third floor is private - you don't share w/ any other guests.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nona1228
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We had a great time at the Pine Bush House! We stayed in the Cabernet which was very cute and had a very comfortable bed, but the bathroom is in the hallway (it is our private bath, but we have to walk down the hall for it). The house was decorated for Christmas already and was very cozy. Barbara's brownies were delicious and freshly baked when we arrived. Barbara even put a birthday candle in my boyfriend's breakfast to make the getaway even more special. Would definitely recommend this B&B to anyone coming to the area!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Montgomery
Ramada Rock Hill at Sullivan Center
The Borland B&B & Brunch House
Tin Brook Bed & Breakfast

Been to Pine Bush House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!