“Costa Rica Birchcreek retreat.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jump Start New York

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pine Hill
Jump Start New York
michigan
“Costa Rica Birchcreek retreat.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

I had a 50/50 experience at Birchcreekretreat in Costa Rica.
Here is what I was not happy about:
1.Location not as described( very difficult beach access). The resort is really hard to find as there were no signs at the road with the name of the place( I'm still not sure of the correct name. Birchcreek?Sunset? Who knows?)
2.Accommodations ( broken shower, no hot water for days, toilet not flushing properly, cheep bedding, lumpy pillows, no toiletries provided).
3. Maid service ( several times there were no beach towels left in the room, trash was not picked up).
4. Trip to the waterfalls ( very disappointing since there were no waterfalls due to the dry season, very difficult and unsafe access to the location).
5. Lecture on Juicing was very disappointing. It was via Internet and the quality of the reception was awful. The guests could hardly understand what the lecturer was saying. And it felt like he was not open to other people opinions and almost insulting talking about healthcare providers. Some of the lectures listed on our schedule never took place, some started late.
6. There was absolutely nothing to do at the resort in the evening time since it's up on the hill and very isolated from everything.

Don't get me wrong, the place has a lot of charm and potential. With only some minor changes it could be so much better. The beach was absolutely beautiful! Ziplining/ tubing/ horsebackriding trip was awesome! All the trainers ( Kyle, Matt, Sean) and "juice" ladies Daniella and Loni were very good at what they do and very supportive. The manager on site Amanda was super nice and very helpful. I am very thankful to all of them. I got very good results loosing weight and getting my energy back and that is what matters the most, but I wish I did not have all that negative stuff to deal with. I did not expect to find a luxury hotel there, but I would expect better conditions considering the price I paid. If you go there be prepared to work hard and make a lot of adjustments to your daily routine. You will definitely get good results if you try hard. Juicing works!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank michigandetroit

Business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

Having heard much about detoxification through juicing, knowing I didn't have the discipline to do it on my own, and having a discount coupon, I took a gamble and went for seven nights. Glad I did!!! This place is not for someone who already has a healthy eating lifestyle or for someone who workouts regularly. It was perfect for me. The hikes were more like hour and half brisk walk. Built my stamina to continue at home. The exercises and yoga were entry level workouts. All in all I did lose weight, and without ever going hungry! The juices and salads were tasteful. The accommodations were sweet. A bed and breakfast type feel, a fireplace, and private bathroom in each room. The staff were unbelievably friendly but not too pushy. They respected my need for privacy or alone time. The Spa type additional services were "okay", but I've had better for those $$.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank javaluv
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

I was interested in just juicing for detoxification and ailments. I had been to other places and done juice fasts before so knew what to expect from my body.
The staff are incredibly knowledgeable, live what they teach, and are accomodating.
The residence was similar to a B&B, without the cooked breakfast :) Glad I went. Feel better, lost 8 lbs on the Pure and SImple program in 7 days, and came off sugar and junk. Go, you are worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Tracy L
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I'll start by saying I've never written a review in my life but felt it necessary in this instance so others have reasonable expectations prior to purchasing a program. My boyfriend and I had gained some nesting weight and wanted to jumpstart our weight loss with this retreat. For reference, I'm about 138 and wanted to get down to 130 and he's 145 and wanted to get to 140. We're reasonably healthy already but were getting lazy in our workouts and eating habits so thought they would kick our butts into action. They did not. This retreat is NOT for those looking to lose the last five to ten lbs. THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE VERY UNHEALTHY AND HAVE NEVER WORKED OUT BEFORE.

First, the workouts are extremely low-impact. I understand that many of the other attendees (that weekend it was all women and everyone was super nice) lead primarily sedentary lifestyles and needed to ease into it, but for the more active attendees like us, a nutritionist, and a kickboxer, the workouts were a total waste of time. For the boot camp program, yes there is five hours of working out a day but the first 90 minutes is a leisurely walk through the dilapidated town with some small hills. There is no interval training as the site suggests. I was expecting them to have us run up the hills or race each other or stop every mile and do squats. Nope, none of that. You just walk. When I mentioned this to the program director, she said, "It's not my fault that you didn't walk faster." Um, wow. We were at the head of the pack the whole time and took it upon ourselves to run a bit. Shouldn't the instructors adjust the workouts for different fitness levels? Otherwise what are we paying for, we work out harder on our own.

Second, the juices. I have kale and carrot juices semi-regularly because I hate vegetables and prefer to take it all in one go. At Birchcreek, they start the day with a powdered green supplement. The site says green juice so I assumed it would be a wheatgrass shot or at least an actual green juice made of vegetables! Nope, they leave out powder in little plastic bottles that you shake up. Okay.... Then they had juices that were surprisingly sugar laden, like strawberry orange. When losing weight, the first thing you should cut out is sugar so I asked about this and they said most of their attendees don't juice so this is a way to ease them into it. Fine, but at least sneak some carrots or beets in so they're getting nutrients! The nutritionist who attended with us agreed that it was strange that these were the habits they were introducing. I had to ask them to give me more vegetables because I wasn't there to ease into anything. She remedied it by giving me a celery juice from the day before. Wow.

Finally, the accommodations leave much to be desired. It's a cozy old house that could really use a renovation. The TVs are small, the internet went out for the whole night and the rooms are kind of like the guest rooms at your grandmother's house. We actually wouldn't have minded this so much if the workouts or juice plan warranted the cost. Even when we went to work out ourselves, THE GYM WAS ATROCIOUS. It's a tiny room with ancient machines that you can't even add resistance too. They had a pull up bar that wasn't even usable and the weight rack looked like a storage closet, with other weights piled on top. one of the treadmills was broken, there were no bikes, stair machines or other cardio. In other words, NOT A REAL GYM. They should really be embarrassed.

We spoke to the director about this and asked to cut our trip short since it didn't meet our expectations. She insisted there were no refunds and only offered a credit. Why would we come back if it was such a let down. Mind you, we didn't ask for a full refund, just the day that we weren't going to use. They could keep the $1200 for the two nights we stayed, we only asked for the third night to be refunded since we were leaving. She wouldn't budge.

All in all, I cannot understand how this place justifies the cost. Their subpar rooms are more expensive than swanky places in Manhattan, they don't serve you food, and the workouts are very low impact. So WHY is it $600/night!?! You could buy fancy juices and a personal trainer for a week in your own town and still not pay even half of what this place charges for three days. They have no business calling it a boot camp or even a jump start. We did not break a sweat in several classes (in one class, one attendee left the studio and just ran sprints by herself), the yoga is elementary, the juices could be healthier, and the rooms are rundown. I want to end this by saying the instructors were all very nice but they really need to evaluate what they're offering and do a full makeover if they want to compete in the fitness and weight loss field. Don't go here, there are better uses of your time and money.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
30 Thank Bea A
East Hampton, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

Enjoyed all the juices. Never felt hungry. Nice pace to the day. Definitely sore after first three days, but massage helped me to recover quickly. Staff was patient, helpful, and cheerful every day! Totally exceeded my expectations by losing 10lbs on the 5 day boot camp program. Very happy with over-all experience!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lisa k
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

My hubby and I visited Birch Creek in NY. I agree with the comments made by shainatv (Hi Shaina!!) Hubby and I work out regularly, but we learned new work-out techniques and stretching exercises. Nothing too strenous; the trainers will adjust the work-outs to your level. We loved the 5 mile walk every morning...definitely bring a jacket! The rooms were adequate and comfortable. It was a great get-away for us and we made new friends. Since we are continuing the recommended diet, we are still losing weight! !

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alice S
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

I didn't know what to expect when I arrived to Brichcreek. A wonderful rustic retreat in the Catskill Mountains, clean air and wonderfully quiet, a 2.5 hour away from the madness of everyday life. They got me walking...5 miles every morning, with three workouts and juice in between. I never thought I could do it. The trainers were patient and didn't pressure us, they just encouraged and taught us as we went along. I learned to stretch the pain out of my back and legs and on the last day climbed the longest highest hill I've ever done. It was an intimate and small group and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great way to decompress, lose weight and get caught up on sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
#1 of 2 in Pine Hill
Colonial Inn
Colonial Inn
#1 of 2 in Pine Hill

Been to Jump Start New York? Share your experiences!