“Lose weight - relax - and meet smart, dynamic and interesting people”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pine Hill
Jump Start New York
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I have made 5 separate trips to Birchcreet for a total of 33 days and have lost a total (and maintained) of 33 pounds. I am a 46 year old business owner and arrived at Birchcreek last September at a weight of 199 pounds. My goal to lose 40 pounds will be achieved at the end of my next stay in two weeks. My movivation - my doctor said I needed to lose weight or die young and when I saw myself in pictures I did not like what I saw. The facility is a beautiful country house in the fantastic Catskill Mountains. The diet of Juice is tasty, no steak dinner, but that is not how one losses weight. The staff are ready to assist guests in any way possible and when a guest needs an accomadation the staff does so upon request. One of the best surprises was the other guests - since guests come and go I have probably met over 50 different people in stays - as a group - nice, interesting and easy to get along with from a variety of backgrounds. If someone wants to lose weight in an enjoyable atmosphere surrounded by trained staff with others who are trying to do the same - Birchcreek is the place for you!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Russ M

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I just came back from a 6 night stay at Birchcreek Costa Rica; and I am already planning for my next stay. This time it will be for longer.

The staff (massage therapist, yoga instructor, fitness trainer) as well as Ron and Julie and their support staff are all wonderful. Everyone is very friendly and attentive.

The manicured grounds are hillside, with a great view of the coast (the ocean is a short walk down the hill). Listening to the Howler monkeys was an interesting and new experience. The rooms are all poolside, very clean and large, with daily maid service. Internet speed was fast. The pool was a great gathering spot for everyone to share that day's adventures.

I lost 7 pounds which was remarkably easy. There is as much (or as little) to do as you feel like doing. It is really up to you. (I had to work for a few hours a day over the internet, so I needed some flexibility in my schedule). Ron is a great "coach" and will go over all of the activity options. My suggestion is to do as much as you can... Yoga, exercise and Ron's nutritional seminars are really good. I had a private massage which was delightful. The juices are delicious; and I was surprised that I was not hungry.

I also took a few side trips which were really enjoyable (horseback riding, zip-line, river tubing). These were arranged by the Birchcreek staff.

I am looking forward to my next visit, hopefully in July.
MORE FRESH JUICE !!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I visited Birchcreek Costa Rica in February 2013 for 21 days. If I could I would go for another 21. I lost 28.4 pounds and more importantly, I have lost 10.5 more since I have been home. The program was outstanding. I am off my blood pressure medications, my cholesterol is back where it should be and I have been motivated to stay on track. This has never happened to me before. I give all the credit to the wonderful and caring staff at Birchcreek. The intellectual information especially appealed to me and has stimulated interest in a healthier lifestyle. If you are looking for results, I highly recommend. Note: I loved Costa Rica as well!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank john f
Reviewed 29 April 2013

If you are looking for a life-changing, challenging, educational place this is it. I stayed for 28 days and loved it!!! The staff is awesome and more than accommodating to your every need. I found it to be exactly what I was looking for. It is in a beautiful location, the rooms are nice and comfortable, and the program is exactly what I needed. If you are looking for a luxury resort and want to be pampered like a princess I suggest you go elsewhere. If you are looking for this to make a huge impact on your life, great fitness, and awesome juicing with the luxuries that you NEED this is the place for you. It is quite, relaxing, beautiful and all the education that Ron and Julie give is great information for you to change your lives if you so choose to do so. I have read some of the other reviews and do not agree with the negativity of some. Every person that I encountered in 1 month, lost weight, felt great and if they were not happy it was of their own choosing. The hill is a little rough, and the retreat is not the Ritz Carlton, but you have to ask yourself, "Why am I coming here" for a vacation or a life change. I choose a life change, me and my friend that came with me had a saying that we created and it was more than the correct statement " Deprived but Content". Birchcreek was awesome and it changed both of our lives for the better, so If this is what you are looking for then by all means please attend you will not regret it. If your a princess, a cry baby, or just unhappy with life in general I would suggest not wasting your time or theirs and go to the fufu spa somewhere that they could really care less about YOU, they just care about your money!!! Thanks Birchcreek I will always be a fan!!!!!! ....A Happy Client

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bobbie B
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed 13 days and found the program to be equal or exceed what I had expected. I found the juices enjoyable, and was not hungry after day 1. The staff are very friendly. The fitness routines were enjoyable overall, and sightly strenuous at times. The building and grounds are a little tired, but there was always a comfortable warm feeling, and is kept clean. If you are looking for a juice fast mixed with an exercise program, then Birch Creek has a good combination. Small groups that ebbed and flowed regularly. Never more than 7 people at one time during my stay. I would recommend and return again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank whitwhitman
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I had a 50/50 experience at Birchcreekretreat in Costa Rica.
Here is what I was not happy about:
1.Location not as described( very difficult beach access). The resort is really hard to find as there were no signs at the road with the name of the place( I'm still not sure of the correct name. Birchcreek?Sunset? Who knows?)
2.Accommodations ( broken shower, no hot water for days, toilet not flushing properly, cheep bedding, lumpy pillows, no toiletries provided).
3. Maid service ( several times there were no beach towels left in the room, trash was not picked up).
4. Trip to the waterfalls ( very disappointing since there were no waterfalls due to the dry season, very difficult and unsafe access to the location).
5. Lecture on Juicing was very disappointing. It was via Internet and the quality of the reception was awful. The guests could hardly understand what the lecturer was saying. And it felt like he was not open to other people opinions and almost insulting talking about healthcare providers. Some of the lectures listed on our schedule never took place, some started late.
6. There was absolutely nothing to do at the resort in the evening time since it's up on the hill and very isolated from everything.

Don't get me wrong, the place has a lot of charm and potential. With only some minor changes it could be so much better. The beach was absolutely beautiful! Ziplining/ tubing/ horsebackriding trip was awesome! All the trainers ( Kyle, Matt, Sean) and "juice" ladies Daniella and Loni were very good at what they do and very supportive. The manager on site Amanda was super nice and very helpful. I am very thankful to all of them. I got very good results loosing weight and getting my energy back and that is what matters the most, but I wish I did not have all that negative stuff to deal with. I did not expect to find a luxury hotel there, but I would expect better conditions considering the price I paid. If you go there be prepared to work hard and make a lot of adjustments to your daily routine. You will definitely get good results if you try hard. Juicing works!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank michigandetroit
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Having heard much about detoxification through juicing, knowing I didn't have the discipline to do it on my own, and having a discount coupon, I took a gamble and went for seven nights. Glad I did!!! This place is not for someone who already has a healthy eating lifestyle or for someone who workouts regularly. It was perfect for me. The hikes were more like hour and half brisk walk. Built my stamina to continue at home. The exercises and yoga were entry level workouts. All in all I did lose weight, and without ever going hungry! The juices and salads were tasteful. The accommodations were sweet. A bed and breakfast type feel, a fireplace, and private bathroom in each room. The staff were unbelievably friendly but not too pushy. They respected my need for privacy or alone time. The Spa type additional services were "okay", but I've had better for those $$.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank javaluv

Been to Jump Start New York? Share your experiences!