“Catskill Charm”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Pine Hill B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I happened to be driving aound and fell upon this place on a rainy october day.. The owner was outside and I was caught by the charm of this place i asked if icould take a picture of him in front of the inn 10 minutes later I was inside chewin the fat with Steve... then along comes a guy who had a weekly paper who was very interesting.. a Frank Sinatra Crooner.. and then there was three... 5 minutes later he offered us a drink 30 minutes later he offered us lunch Kilbasi with mac and cheese to die for... all in all a Kismetic experience
It was just starting to rain when I went inside and two hours later the storm had passed and I felt so good I let Steve take his Pick from my tackle bag as he had told some great fishing stories and Lo and behold he picked a creek chub needle fish in black a classic just like him and his place
Go there and see for your self

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 December 2012

I have been coming to Colonial Inn with my wife and two kids every year during Christmas weekend. It's has become our family tradition. The atmosphere is very laid back and cozy, it has a bar with a billiard table by the fireplace and a big TV screen surrounded by soft leather sofas. The owner, Steve, is an antique collector, hunter and a Catskills enthusiast, so genuine antique pieces of furniture, photographs, old maps. antique firearms are part of the decor.
This is certainly not one of the perfectly manicured cookie cutter chain hotels, and that is why I like it, for its one of a kind charm and a feeling of being welcomed. Steve will prepare you a hearty breakfast and dinner, and will gladly tend to your needs. Saturday grand buffet is absolutely awesome! Colonial Inn is conveniently close to skiing (five minutes drive), scenic walking trails and a lake. Highly recommended for its genuine Catskills experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Been staying up at Steve's Colonial off and on for years and yeah, the good and the bad are all true. Bottom line, it's cheap and the food is good and sometimes you get a decent room. While many have come and gone in the lodging industry up Belleayre , the Colonial has been open for at least 30 years as far as I know.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I love the Colonial Inn. I love staying there and eating there. Their Sat, night buffet is wonderful home cooking and lots to chose from at very reasonable prices. The atmosphere is relaxing and laid back. Steve the own is very accommodating and friendly. One of my favorite places.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is the worst place I have stayed in the Catskills. It is a decrepit mess that is falling apart from years of neglect. No hot water, shoddy showers, no locks on doors or lost keys, bathroom doors that wont close, no control over heat or cold, and a bar that randomly changes the cost of drinks from one day to the next.

They even had a rock band playing till 3am in the morning with paper thin walls. When we got up in the morning, there were local town folk drunk and passed out all over the floors and lobby, and groups still partying at 8am (presumably coked up). I guess they never heard of "you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here." saying.

The owners are surly, mostly absent and overcharge for a mess of an establishment.

The building is unsafe with weird electrical wires hanging from the ceiling, smoke alarms that have been disconnected and weird furniture abandoned in the hallways causing a fire hazard.

I was too scared to try the buffet after seeing what the rest of the place looked like. If you eat there, you are braver than me.

Go to the Rose Motel, Phoenicia Lodge, or 87 motel if you want a cheap price and a comfortable stay in the Catskills.

The fire and health inspectors must have been bribed to let this place continue to operate.

Room Tip: Rent a room somwhere else. Please! You will thank me.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank zerofence
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I stayed here with my family (ages 27-63) last September 2010. We had a great time thanks to Steve the owner, who is an easygoing, attentive and friendly host who liked chatting and telling us about the area. He let us pick any room we wanted since the place had a lot of unique rooms and only 3 or so other guests. We came with the family dog, who loved playing with Steve's tiny dog. This place is appropriately named since it was probably built in Colonial times - the rooms are old and musty, the shower stall was not comfortable to use, and the decor very outdated. However, my family felt transported back in time. They also loved the unbelievably low rate, which included breakfast cooked just for us. The place was near good hiking trails and a community pond. At night this place was the center of community life, as locals come for dinner or a beer, and to hang out in the lounge to watch TV. Steve is the quintessential antique hoarder, and there are lots of interesting things to check out in the common areas. It was sort of a cultural experience for us "East Coast" urban/suburban types. We all left incredibly charmed and feeling relaxed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank simpleworldtraveler
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The buffet is big and the prices still low - good home-cooked food, but don't expect anything fancy. I like the rustic atmosphere, but it is not elegant, so be warned :).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club
River Run Bed & Breakfast
River Run Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 3 in Fleischmanns

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!