“Great Experience”
Review of Canal Lamp Inn

Canal Lamp Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pittsford
Canal Lamp Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Pittsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We had a wonderful time in this exquisite Victorian mansion along the Erie Canal. One can actually feel the history of the Canal, along with the natural habitat which has sprung up as a result of the canal.
The rooms were spacious and luxurious, with modern conveniences. The breakfast was very good prepared by the homes caretaker; the host was not present which added to the privacy of the experience. We appreciated the serenity of the surroundings. We went on the Erie Canal packet boat tour which was just a few steps away. The tour was very educational and enjoyable. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank 2Irish_Rovers
There are newer reviews for Canal Lamp Inn

Reviewed 10 December 2011

Yes it is true you don't see the owners but they were easily reachable by telephone. The rooms where beautiful and the home was huge and we had it all to ourselves for most of the time. The breakfasts were amazing. The location was great since it was right next to the canal. It was a fantastic experience. We will be staying there again.

Room Tip: Yes the front room faces the road so it can be a bit noisy in the morning but it really didn't b...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank bellacoola
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Our stay at the Canal Lamp Inn was the most relaxing evening I have had in a long time. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous. The Inn is immaculate. I felt like I could stay at the Canal Lamp in indefinitely and wished we had stayed more than one evening. The owners of the Inn are funny, attentive and absolutely wonderful. The breakfast we had the next morning was the best breakfast I have ever had in my life. The owner, Keith Miller, is quite a cook. I was so, so impressed. Just thinking about that breakfast makes me want to return to the Canal Lamp Inn immediately, and I live in California! I would highly recommend anyone to stay at the Canal Lamp Inn. And Pittsford is a charming town.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Curly055
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I came to this Inn hoping that the previous reviews would have been wrong. I was disappointed in that. When I arrive I asked for a guide to the area. I was told they didn't have one! When one (out of date) was produced it was slipped without comment under my door. The website says that wireless internet is provided. Not so! And when I inquired, I was met with "I can't come back, I will bring you a cable in the morning". Whirlpool tub was non operational, not clean, etc.... I really, really wanted to believe this would be a great Inn, but alas, I think the owners have completely checked out of the picture. We'll see how breakfast is in the AM.....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank rosannemistretta
Reviewed 10 June 2010

what a lovely place to stay very oldie worldie the b&b is very comfortable with very high beds you need a step stool to help get into the bed.The rooms very nice overlooking the canal with long walks or just sit and watch the world go by the cafe near by do good selection of foods and very friendly staff the only thing we found was they do not have tea or coffee in the rooms only soft drinks.we would reconmend this place to stay if you want a relaxing holiday .with plenty of walking.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2010

In the time we spent at Canal Lamp Inn, we never met the hosts. Our key was left in the mailbox, and we had to find our room, and figure out what parts of the house were available to guests. This lack of personal attention is what differentiates a bed and breakfast from a hotel, and it was missing.
Upon finding our room, we saw that the bathtub was unclean, with hair from previous guests in it. When drinks or snacks were enjoyed from the snack area, they were not replaced. When you are staying for a number of days, you expect water and soda in a snack area to be replenished. Yoghurt served at breakfast had expired dates, as did bags of chips in the snack area. Magazines in the living room were not current. We had tea during the day, and the cups which we used were never replaced with clean ones, nor was the teabox refilled. Each of these details on its own is of little consequence, but altogether it sets a negative tone. Details are what make a memorable bed and breakfast, but with a proprietor who never surfaces, what can you expect?
There were a few positives. Breakfast was decent and filling. The rooms were nicely decorated and comfortable. The lady who made breakfast was nice. The house was in a wonderful location, within walking distance to many places.
If I were to return to Pittsford, I would stay in the hotel down the street, which I have been told is very nice.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 9vacation9
Reviewed 13 May 2010

The house was very gorgeous. My wife and I have stayed at many bed and breakfast all over NY and New England. We were very suprised that this totally lacked to personal touch you expect from a B&B. This was one of the most expensive B&B's we have stayed at and through the weekend, two nights stay, we never once met the owners. When we arrived we were greated by a sign that directed us to pick up the key from a designated location, we never had a phone call welcoming us. It was a very cold reception, that even the cheapest of motels far outweighed. The breakfast in the morning was delicious, however again, it was more like eating at a restaurant, with again the lack of the personal touch, no one ever asked about our stay. On the second morning over breakfast we met a newly wed couple. They too were very dissapointed by the lack of personal attention. When finished all we were greated by was the need to square our bill for our stay. I will not recommend this location, and truly will recommend that anyone consider staying at the Delmonte Renaissance, next door. if they are truly looking for a special stay. Our stay was 4/30/10 and 5/1/10. I was celebrating my 50th birthday with my wife, and to this day, we have never received a thank you. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DLangevin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsford
The Del Monte Lodge Renaissance Rochester Hotel & Spa
Hilton Garden Inn Rochester/Pittsford
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester-Pittsford/Brighton, NY
Hilton Garden Inn Rochester/University & Medical Center
Hampton Inn Rochester Penfield
Courtyard Rochester East/Penfield

Been to Canal Lamp Inn? Share your experiences!