“Do not use for your wedding guests!”

Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for a wedding at Larkfield Manor in Northport solely because the bride/groom had organized a shuttle between this hotel and the wedding venue. They also paid for the hotel bar to stay open late for their guests (although we didn't go to the bar) after returning from the reception. We arrived at 5:00PM and the shuttle was not ready to go. They needed more people in order to depart. We checked in, dropped our bags, used the toilet went back to the shuttle within 15 minutes and as we got on, we were turned away, being told it was now full and we'd have to wait almost an hour (30 minutes for that shuttle to get to the venue and 30 minutes for it to return.) They would not let us on. Only one shuttle being offered. The staff said the problem was an accident that was causing delays. Anxious about missing the cocktail hour, we were told we could call a taxi, but it would take 30 minutes for it to get there and it would cost $60 - the hotel would not be paying for it, we would. Not getting us there any faster, we opted to wait for the shuttle. When the shuttle had still not returned at the suggested time, another guest who was waiting for the shuttle gave up and decided to drive to the venue himself and offered us a ride to the venue, which took us only about 20 minutes. There was absolutely no sign of a car accident on our way. Because of the problems waiting for the shuttle, we arrived at the cocktail hour at 6:50PM - with less than 10 minutes remaining- and were told that we were to move to the larger room because the cocktail hour was over. We literally had only a few bites to eat. Several others missed the cocktail hour completely because they were still waiting for the shuttle to return to pick them up. So, essentially, the bride and groom paid for the cocktail hour for numerous guests who didn't even get to enjoy it. VERY VERY disappointed. After the reception, instead of waiting for the shuttle we opted to instead drive with the gentleman who was kind enough to give us a ride to the venue. When we got to the hotel, we were told that they had just sent out a second shuttle to accommodate the line of guests waiting to be picked up at the venue. Very bad management, customer service and organization. DO NOT depend on this hotel's shuttle service if you are planning to use it for a wedding. Extremely disappointed not only for ourselves but for the bride and groom who put so much effort into making this a good experience for everyone. I don't have the heart to tell them how disappointing the hotel's service was so I'm posting a review here to warn others who might potentially use the hotel for this purpose.

The hotel itself was clean and quiet with decent size rooms. They provided us with a roll away bed at request, but only after suggesting they were not really allowed to give us one since we already had two queen beds in the room. But we were traveling with a toddler and wanted him to use the roll away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear DesertChildAZ,
We pride ourselves on maintaining a clean and comfortable environment for our guests, and we are very pleased our hotel met your expectations. We are very sorry to hear you were disappointed with the shuttle service during your stay. Weeks prior to the wedding day, the couple determines the shuttle schedule for their event. We apologize for the timing, but because it is the couple’s special day, we strive to fulfill the entirety of a couple’s wedding day vision without question. Additionally, the Fire Marshall discourages the use of rollway beds for our guests’ safety, and because our guests’ safety is our priority, we originally did not fulfill this request. We apologize for any inconveniences during your stay, and we hope you will decide to stay with us again in the future. All the best.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I am working in the area as a consultant for the next few months and thus needed to find a hotel for me to stay three nights weekly. I had a hard time deciding between this hotel and the Melville Marriott since they are both near my client and I have status with both chains. After spending a week at each hotel, I've settled on the Four Points.

My first week at the Four Points saw me upgraded to an SPG preferred one bedroom suite. The unit was very large and was generally well kept and clean. The bathroom had a shower stall in addition to a tub and two sinks (the latter wasted on me as a solo traveler, but still a nice touch).

Room service was acceptably prompt, and the quality was above what I was expecting from a Four Points.

Gym is small, basic, but functional. Outdoor pool is a nice touch - too bad I had no time to take advantage of it. I'm sure I'll take a dip before my engagement is up.

Only major negative is the internet. I unfortunately work late into the night from my hotel rooms, and internet connection is really key. My room had very poor reception and my laptop would constantly connect and disconnect. I'm told that this is just a problem with the specific wing of the hotel I was in, but they really should ensure full coverage... especially where they place their Platinum members!

Fix the wi-fi and I'm 100% happy.

Room Tip: Avoid the SPG preferred rooms on the lower floor - bad wi-fi connection.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Darryl257,
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your extended stay in the area, and we are very pleased to hear we exceeded most of your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing uncomplicated comfort in addition to extra perks like free Internet. We are very sorry you had complications with this service during your stay. Since your visit, we have updated our Internet service and you should no longer experience issues in the future. Our General Manager, Michael Papierno would love the opportunity to personally amend your experience. If you would like, please contact him directly by emailing mpapierno@fourpointsli.com to further discuss your visit. Thank you for being a loyal guest, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Take care.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Not kidding - carpet was worn down to burlap. Staff was nice and housekeeping excellent. Also - The main floor and one level below are all "100" series numbers. The breakfast "buffet" is $13 for scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal in about a 5'x5' area.

I'd keep looking

Room Tip: I'd look elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Pastor J,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad to hear that you received excellent service from our housekeeping and staff, but we are sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay. Thank you for sharing your feedback about the conditions of our hotel. While the industry renovation standard is seven years, due to our high occupancy and usage of our hotel, we decided to renovate our hotel sooner so that our guests can have the best accommodations and experience. We are currently in the process of renovating our corridors, including replacement of all hallway carpeting which is why our carpets may have appeared not up to par in some areas. In addition, we also completed a full renovation of our lobby, restaurant, fitness center, and catering spaces in October of last year that we hope you were able to enjoy during your stay. Our newly renovated restaurant seats up to 45 people where we offer a full hot buffet breakfast along with made to order omelets, assorted Danishes, pastries, and hot and cold cereals as well as dinner offering and bar. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future so you can experience the property once final renovations are complete. Take care.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Was at there for business. the front desk were very nice. Room was big clean. Like that they had dispensers in the shower for the soap and shampoo.

I had room service which came within 20 min and the food was hot and greate.
Had the breakfast buffet as well which was also good they make your eggs on the spot and service was good.

TV was a little blurry so not sure they have HD channels or maybe need a cable shake :)

All in all great hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JEKDES-NYC
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My family and I stayed here on our way to the north fork of Long Island...we arrived at 8pm--- the staff at the front desk was great--- at 8pm, 5:30am the next day, and 9am when we left. The room was nice--- nothing particularly special but quiet and clean. Beds were comfortable.

The only buzzkill was the breakfast the next am. The food was average but the waitress in the breakfast area was non-existent/unresponsive. She seemed to be sick or something--- she was sleeping in one of the chairs in the dining room. Good thing it wasn't busy. I'm going to overlook this one odd experience since everyone else was so nice (the front desk, the housekeepers, etc.).

The 10,000 SPG points we used for the night's stay was a little bit much, but we had an overall good experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter W
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Peter W,
Thank you for choosing Four Points during your recent trip to Long Island. We hope you had an amazing weekend out east. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and the comforts of your room. We're sorry to hear your experience at Super's Cafe did not meet your expectations. We have forwarded your candid feedback to our restaurant team and will look to ensure your future experience is topnotch. Thank you for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I am glad I found this hotel for my travels on Long Island. It is located perfectly near the highway and it has nice new equipment in the fitness center as well as a decent restaurant. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear MDM1414,
We're happy to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and some of the great amenities we offer. Thank you for sharing and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We received good and accomodating service from the front desk. My brother had called several times earlier in the week to confirm reservations and room types. Upon his check-in, they still had it all wrong, and in fact had cancelled his reservations. The rooms were clean and adequate. Breakfast in the bar was a pleasant suprise. There were several large parties staying at the hotel and were very loud...until 4AM on a Saturday night. We could everything going on in the hallways.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island
Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel
Melville Marriott Long Island
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Hilton Long Island/Huntington

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island? Share your experiences!