“Not the most accomodating, but still quite nice”

Four Points by Sheraton
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Seaford, New York
“Not the most accomodating, but still quite nice”
Reviewed 20 May 2007

I stayed at the Four Points Plainview recently to be in proximity to a night out with friends. Overall the hotel was pretty nice, only one complaint and a few little annoyances.

My complaint arises from the staff member who checked me into the hotel. She was very short & to the point in her responses, speaking quickly as if to just move me away from the desk and into the room. I tried to ask her for a room on a higher floor as it's a personal preference, and was told they'd already held a room on the main level for me. Had she looked in the computer to see what was available and then told me they couldn't make the switch I wouldn't have been as annoyed, but her answer came with no attempt to accomodate, almost as if she was programmed to give this response instantly. My second request was for a late checkout. I was given a one hour extention, but she was a bit perturbed that I'd asked for this. As an SPG member I'd like to think that simple requests would be met with a little more desire to please. In all fairness I should note that any other staff members I met were extremely friendly.

Once this initial interaction was finished, my stay was pretty enjoyable. Albeit on the first floor, my room was labelled an SPG member room and was quite spacious for a standard one. Plenty of floor space complete with a king bed, couch, chair/ottoman, dresser, tv, fridge & microwave. The bathroom was plenty big & came with some pretty nice ammenities. Water pressure was good in the room & they even gave a complimentary bottle of water which was a nice little touch.

The little annoyances I referred to earlier stemmed from the lack of tv channels and the awkwardness of the pillows. There were about 15 channels to choose from, not a lot of variety in this day & age even for a hotel. As for the pillows, basically they give you two long narrow pillows that were for lack of a better way to put it, pretty mushy, then they give you two big square pillows that are a bit firmer. The difference in shape made it difficult to get comfortable in this bed, but once settled in I slept ok.

For the price & what's given I would certainly recommend the Four Points to anyone staying in the area. They give you alot for the money, and the location is very convenient for the area.

• Liked — Big, well appointed room
  • Disliked — Check in host
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Long Island
Reviewed 14 May 2007

1st off..the property itself looks brand new and everything is very well maintained. The staff was courteous and the room service food was even good ! Definately a 5 star experience. I understand its a 4 points hotel but I've travelled the world and stayed at many 5 star hotels and this place was great in comparison ESPECIALLY when you consider your not paying 5 star prices. Come with an open mind and not expecting the Trump Towers and I think you'll be very happy.

Rooms and Bathroom were excellent and very nice and clean. All new and the amenities in the bathroom were great also. My girlfriend and I really enjoyed it and I'm not one to easily give compliments. Anyone who had problems @ this place must be a highly critical person.

Enjoy....

• Liked — Very well maintained and new bathrooms. Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Everything was really great. No joke.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
The World
Reviewed 28 April 2007

This is a newly opened Four Points and the state of the furnitures shows it. Located conveniently close to the I-95, the hotel is good for a night stay or a longer business trip. I was warmly welcomed and
my status with SPG was recognized and upgrade to a better room.

My king bed room was spacious, the bed was comfortable to sleep in, the various firmness level pillows allows me to find the ones that fitted my preferences. There is a mini-fridge with microwave oven, great for those who have longer stays.

The bathroom is a good size with a warming headlamp, the first one that I have seen in a Four Points. The shower head is a Speakman, the
same model that the Sheraton uses with good water pressure. The amenities are standard Four Points shampoo, conditioner and lotion.

I ordered the steak from the kitchen one night and it is rubbery without taste, did not worth the price.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank terravisum
New Milford
Reviewed 12 November 2006

We stayed at the Four Points for 5 nights for a conference. Overall, the hotel and staff was very nice. Every staff member we encountered acknowledged us and was helpful. We did not eat in the restaurant at all, and considered the food a bit expensive ($15 for a hamburger). The drinks (we only had 2 on 1 occasion) seemed a bit high as well ($16 for a wine and beer). They always had some sort of snack in the lobby - fruit or cheese and crackers. Be aware that except for one steak place next door, the other available eating establishments are 1-2 miles away. The room was very clean had mostly top-of the line decor. The refrig and micorwave were very handy, given we brought in our own refreshments and doggy-bags from local restaurants! It was difficult to control the room temp. but part may have been operator error. If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room in the back of the hotel - the traffic noise from the L.I.E. lasts all night. The room doors need to be lubricated - squeeking was annoying. Although there was internet access in the room, there was also internet access near the lobby, including the ability to print docs at no cost. Again, it was a nice expierience.

Stayed November 2006
1 Thank yankee99
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 October 2006

What a treat. Attended my son's wedding and all of the groom's attendants and family stayed here. The rooms were immaculent, lushious pillows and bedding. The front desk even called to ask if our rooms were "OK". The lounge service was wonderful, we enjoyed it so much that we invited the bride and groom over for drinks and a snack.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — Internet only in lobby
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank sunshine2
oklahoma
Reviewed 6 September 2006

We arrived at the hotel at approx. 11:00 pm a day early. Still made us pay full price which was $199.57. We also paid an extra $25.00 A DAY for our 7lb dog.
The second night we were there, we complained numerous times as did other guest starting around 10:00 pm about a LOUD party going on in and outside one of the rooms. The hotel finally kicked them out around 3:30 am. Needless to say we and other guest got very little sleep that night. Upon our checkout, they tried to tell us we had 2 pets and argued with us trying to charge us for 2 pets instead of 1. The person who checked us out told an employee "when we were ready to leave our room to go check it for any pet damage". We waited in our room for this person. He came in and actually moved furniture and looked in every nook and cranny as though we had a great dane.This made us feel very uncomfortable. We were treated with NO respect at all whatsoever. We stayed 3 nights at @ $199.57 per night and was treated terriable. The only response we got from the manager when we complained was "we can't control the other guest and they get 3 warnings before we tell them to leave". AND "we have to inspect the rooms for pet damage, it's our hotel rule". At least they could have done it in a much better way. Not classy at all.
Very insensitive, rude and only cares about how much money they make. The hotel room was nothing better than a Ramada or Howard Johnsons. I've gotten better service from less expensive hotels and was treated much better also.
Don't stay at this hotel. They don't care about their guest at all.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay here. You will be dissapointed. Staff rude. will overcharge you. Ramada is better.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Katsdc
Reviewed 26 April 2006

The staff, particularly Rachel at the front desk, were very friendly and helpful during our 3 day stay at this hotel. Nice things about this hotel include afternoon snacks in the lobby (sheese and crackers, pastries and lemonade), microwave and refrigerator in room, free internet access and printing on every floor, reasonable prices on the food from the restaurant. Many Long Island hotels are really just awful and this one stands out. I think it has been completly refurbished and the rooms show it. Comfortbale beds, nice linens, up to date design. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank HBD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Melville Marriott Long Island
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville

Been to Four Points by Sheraton? Share your experiences!