“Holiday Inn Plainview”

Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have stayed at this property 10+ times so I feel I can confidently give it one star. Staying here during the renovations was terrible... lots of dust and noise. Cosmetically, the hotel & bar look nicer. However, there is a pervasive attitude makes you feel that the customer comes last. As a platinum member with Holiday Inn's I get a free breakfast. Last visit the waitstaff didn't give coffee. The maids opened the door to my room without knocking. There are no outside windows, so the hotel is always very dark. The rooms are ok. One visit, I check in and there was no parking spots available. Jeez, 20 years of traveling and that never came up. The front desk told me to park across the street is a do ark deserted business, or wait around til 11:00 pm when a conference lets out. Total bs. There are better choices somewhat close. If you stay here, there is a very good chance you will regret it....you've been warned

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Was visiting in June for family event. I lived in neighboring Syosset where I still have friends. The location was great for travelling in between the Northern Pkwy and LIE. The rooms were very nice updated as I can see. They were cleaned daily and were very clean. I stayed on the 2nd floor right in front of ice machine,stairs and soda machine. Would definitely stay further away from them in the future quite noisy at night especially on the weekend. Other than that was quiet the rest of the time. The only disappointment was that in the price a breakfast included would have been nice. I would stay here again as it was really a comfortable hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ezduzit3
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed with a friend for a weekend high school reunion.

The construction taking place indicates that the lobby and restaurant areas, whenever completed, will put on a show of a modern property.

Unfortunately, the rooms will be a huge disappointment. At least in the wing where we resided, it is obvious the motel has enclosed what was an open hallway, so that the "windows" in the room look out on people walking down the corrider. Hence, one has no view, and no fresh air is available. In addition, the "new" bathroom is condensed into a very small area with the shower, toilet, small sink and (only room) closet right on top of each other, removed from the sleeping area by a sliding wooden door. Needless to say, only one person can wash and/.or dress at a time. T o add to the disappointment, VERY LOUD construction workers were using the rooms near us for overnight stays.

Positives: The location is right off of the L.I.E.,for the most part the staff is friendly and helpful, and the beds and pillows were very comfortable. The free breakfast, which is being discontinued in a month, was adequate Holiday Inn quality.

The price was comparable to other nearby chains, and certainly no bargain.It would pay for future visitors to look elsewhere first.

Room Tip: Because the room was reserved by the high school, we did not see any other wing.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cuse2
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Cuse2,
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. At the Holiday Inn - Plainview, we want to make sure that everyone's experience is positive and if not, make sure that we do everything possible to make things right. You are correct in your observations about the rooms being enclosed and having an inner hallway, unaccessable to fresh air. The origional structure was built 60 years ago as a motel with landings outside the back of the 3 floors. This too allowed people to walk past your window even then. If you wanted a view, you had to open your shade allowing people to see through and unfortunately, the only way to change this would be to demolish the entire building and start over. In my 15+ years working in hotels, I typically find most (not all) hotels have windows that do not open. I wanted to apologize about the construction workers being loud but I assure you this was only an isolated incident as some of our project work is done by workers and companies that are out of state so this is not the norm for the property by any means. I also wanted to make sure that you were aware that our breakfast buffet is not our only option as we have a full a'la carte menu available which is being re-created for our new restaurant, BISTRO46. As for our rooms, we pride ourselves on the cleanliness and conditions of our newly renovated property and do offer larger rooms which are priced accordingly. If you are in the area again, we would appreciate the opportunity of a second chance to change your impression of the property. If there is anything I could do, please contact me directly.
Once again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was in town for business and had to stay here due to a horrible experience at another hotel. The room was very clean and I slept well. The carpet looked like new. The only negative feedback is that breakfast wasn't good. The breakfast bar should include oatmeal without milk as some people have dairy allergies. The check-in person, Peter was nice.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank RebeccaN1
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Rebecca_Mike,
Thank you for writing a review about us on Trip Advisor. We want to make sure that your experience is positive so that you will consider our hotel your first choice when staying in the Plainview area. I apologize about your experience at breakfast. If there is any menu item or buffet item that is not prepared to accomodate your dietary needs, please ask one of our servers and I'm sure we could prepare something that will. We can certainly make oatmeal without milk or even use soy milk. I will certainly share your comments with the staff about how clean your room was and your overall experience. Thanks again for writing a review.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

My fiance and I spent a really nice night at the Holiday Inn Plainview. The room has recently been redone and we were impressed w/ its comfort and style and cleanliness. The mattress was just right and they even give you a choice of pillows of different firmness to choose from. Although there is a space in the furniture for a small refrigerator, there wasn't one in our room (I'm sure it will come in time) but the restaurant staff very nicely offered to keep our leftovers in the kitchen walk-in. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. We decided to have a late dinner in the restaurant and were both impressed with our meals. It's not at all cheap but you do get the quality and value of a "regular" restaurant. It was not at all what one would normally expect of a "motel restaurant." As a matter of fact, it was so good that I would highly recommend it as a "destination" restaurant. My only criticism (and it's hardly that) would be for the menu to be a little less limited in its offerings. Overall, I can say w/o hesitation--and I've traveled quite a bit throughout the US and some of Europe--that the Plainview Holiday Inn is one of the nicest places I've ever stayed.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 66Polara
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Normally Holiday Inns are the bottom of the barrel of hotels but this one was quite acceptable for the price (actually hotel points). The hotel was under construction when we visited so a lot of areas were not open. The rooms seemed to be renovated and were very clean. The carpet in the hallways seemed fairly new.

When we visited there was free breakfast which included hot and cold items. It was nice for free. Some items were good and others were not.

The shuttle was helpful. It took us to and from a wedding and also dropped us off at the train stop.

There is not a lot to do at the hotel or nearby if you don't have a car from what I could tell.

Room Tip: Might want to get a room at end of hall where people are not walking by frequently.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DiverM
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

To DiverM,
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. It looks like your overall experience was a positive one and changing the perceptions about Holiday Inn is done little by little with positive reviews such as yours. As we are coming to the end of construction, we want people to see that not all properties under the same brand are the same and there are some that exceed people's expectations. We hope that when you are in the area again, you will make our Holiday Inn your prefered destination.If I can assist you in the future, please contact me directly. Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel is under serious renovations - as in, the entire hotel is completely torn up and a mess. They don't mention this on their website or when you're booking... interesting.

So putting that aside, I had problems with this property. The walls are paper-thin - I could hear when my 'neighbor' dropped something in thier bathroom. The layout is unappealing; all the rooms face out to a hallway, so your "window" is to the hall. Which means 1) everyone walking by can look into your room if the curtains are open and 2) if you're like me, and don't want to give a free show, you can say bye-bye to natural sunlight for the duration of your stay.

I visited the in-house restaurant for dinner, and it was a great time - if you consider listening to a wierd mix of Billy Joel, Lady Gaga, Van Morrison, and Rap at full blast, plus contending with a loud and obnoxious local bar crowd while you munch on overcooked $22+ a plate porkchops a great time.

The rooms themselves look nice and newly renovated, but it's far outweighed by the negatives. I'd rather get a good nights sleep and have a pleasant meal.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GrapeJade8
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Ash0818,
Thank you for writting a review on trip advisor. I must apologize for issues you had during your stay. We are trying extremely hard to get the work on the lobby finished as soon as possible but as you can see from the scope of work, it's not a small renovation. We do hope that you will give us another try when the work is completed and I'm sure your stay will be something special. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do.

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel
Comfort Inn Syosset by Choice Hotels
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island? Share your experiences!