New York City North / Newburgh KOA
US$97
Red Roof
Economy Inn(Newburgh)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfree pancakesnew york citycamp storecampground offersevery morningquick weekendper nightwooded sitesgreat campgroundlaundry roomtrain stationwould stay here againpoolscabinhookupsnycessentials
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My husband and I want camping there on Aug 23 and 24. We made the reservation because whenever we camped in Canada at KOA the staff seemed to be in control of noise. Well not here. The campers behind us decided that they should entertain everyone in the campgroud with their loud music until will after 10:00 O'clock. They were not young people but middle aged. They should now better. The next day we complained at the office. Again around 6:00, they decided to play the music loud. No one came from the office to tell them to turn it down. Finally, I want over to ask them to turn it down some. One man was OK with it but the other man was not to happy. I was nerves with the man who was annoyed that not everyone wants to listen to his music. A half an hour later he turned it up again. About 1/2 later again the music was off and I am assuming that the staff asked them to turn it down. I did note that the children camping there seem to be having a good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joyce R
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The main problem is that they don't enforce their rules, it's suggested rules. If you go on a weekend, you'll have to make people who are partying until late in the night. I was king of worrying for my teens to go alone to the restroom, just because you never know with drunk people. But beside that, on the weekdays, it's a charming campground, nice campsite and clean bathroom. Never ran out of hot water, if there was a problem with their facilities, they would fix it right away. But if peoples were the problem... they were helpless. So it depends on the king of campers you are!

2  Thank sandra c
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have been coming to this Koa on and off for about 25years. We started out as tenters and have now graduated to Kamping Kabins. The staff is always friendly here and the free pancake breakfast is a nice bonus. The main bathrooms and showers are not cleaned enough and generally are very dirty. This year in the Kabins we stayed in the management put TV's (which we never used), this seemed to defeat the purpose of camping. I would much rather have had a small mini fridge. The Mini golf and bike rentals were in major need of repair. I can see this campground going downhill and am very surprised that the KOA Corp has allowed this to happen. The location is beautiful and I would love to see this campground brought back to its original splendor.

Room Tip: If traveling with a group as we were try and get the five cabins together in the cul de sac.
1  Thank spoiledrotten1
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Beautiful setting. Good location for hopping off I87 and I84 and only an hour from NYC. Lots of activities for whole family on site. Also close to several local activity options. Free pancake breakfast starts at 7am allowing time for a bite before hitting the road.
Sites are good sized and level. Bathrooms are old but clean. Laundry room had TV, iron, ironing board, and ample washers and dryers.
Front desk staff not the warm fuzzy type but were helpful and respectful.
$5 nightly resort fee charged.
Will return to this CG again.

Room Tip: We stayed on site 80. Nice pull through near bathrooms.
1  Thank merrydb
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this KOA arriving Mon. August 19th and leaving Thur. August 22nd. We chose this campground (CG) because we were going to a Yankee game via Metro North and thought it was close to the Beacon station we would use. The CG is quite a ways off I-87, but wasn't too hard to find. Checking in was easy and we were given a map showing us the route to take to get to our site. Other KOA's we have stayed at had someone in a golf cart that escorted us to our site. I guess this one just gives the map.

We reserved a deluxe site with water and electric hook-up. When registering online it is not possible to select a specific site, just the amenities wanted. I am not sure what was deluxe about the site as it looked like all the other sites. The site was nice and level and it was easy to park the RV. We noticed that the charcoal grill was full of half burned charcoal and there was small bits of garbage (candy wrappers, straw wrappers, etc) on the site and half burned wood in the fire pit. We were not impressed at all with the maintenance of the site. Most KOA's have staff go to vacated sites as soon as visitors depart and clean the site thoroughly. Apparently this is not the policy at the Plattekill KOA.

Our site was right next to the path for the playground/pool area. We could see the kids playing on the large jumping pillow, playing mini-putt, basketball, etc. Even though we had no children with us, we didn't mind being next to the noise and traffic that our site presented. Especially since the literature we were given indicated that quiet hours go into effect at 9pm and the playground area closes at dusk.

It was quite obvious from our stay that the rules are not enforced at this campground. There is no one patrolling the campground at all. If anyone wants to raise heck it is going to happen and no one from the office is going to know the difference.

One night, there were teens on the playground bouncing basketballs and playing on the jumping pillow. Finally, after listening to this for half an hour, I went out at 12:50am and told the kids to leave. I am not sure how parents can be in a CG and not keep their kids on their site at this hour. The next night, kids were on the basketball court again at 9:30pm. They continued to be around the playground area until close to 10pm with no CG staff telling them to leave the area. The kids went over the fence to play on the deflated jumping pillow and also bounced golf balls off the pavement and whacked them into the woods with the golf clubs. There was a storage area for the golf and playground equipment, but it was not locked so the kids had access to it.

I called the phone number in the booklet we were given at check-in and got an automated teller. After selecting a few options and being told no one was available, I was transferred to the national KOA reservation line. (God forbid I was calling for an emergency.) That obviously did no good for my concern. Since the office was open until 10pm and having listened to kids play until almost 1 am the night before, I rode my bike to the office to have someone kick these kids off the playground area. The college aged girl in the store said she would go over when she closed the store at 10pm and check things out.

I was amazed to know that this young women was obviously the only one on staff at that hour, that there was no one patrolling the CG that she could call and that she would have to address those kids alone. Thankfully, she did a good job because we heard no one in the area the rest of the evening.

I know this review sounds like a rant and presents me as a crotchety old hag. Trust me, I am not - I worked as security at a state park throughout college, have camped at both privately owned and state CGs in NY and other states. Check out my other reviews, I am not a chronic complainer. But when I pay $174 for three nights of camping ($5 night service charge - not sure what for), am given a booklet with a full page of rules that aren't enforced, get a dirty campsite and can't sleep due to unruly kids that makes me an unhappy camper.

This CG is poorly maintained! Recreational equipment is in poor condition - I went to use a basketball from the bin. Two balls were deflated and the other one had a leather panel flapping off. I asked the attendant if there were any others one and he said "Those two don't have air and I don't have a pump. Those guys are using the good ball." If the staff locked up the equipment and kept kids out of the area at the end of the night, the equipment would be in better shape,

Reviews on the KOA CG site say the wifi didn't work. I had success with the wifi, which I think was due to our site being in close proximity to the cafe where I presume one of the routers must be.

To summarize, if you will be traveling with kids and you don't care where they are at anytime of night and/or if you want to stay up and listen to people all night, this is the campground for you. If you prefer a quiet and well-supervised CG then do not stay at this CG.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple