“Wonderful !”

Point Au Roche Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Plattsburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2008

Beautifully situated beside a national park the property is beautifully kept, the rooms exceptional and the hosts were superb! To be met with a large smile and a roaring log fire blazing in the open fireplace was a great welcome.

10 minutes from the ferry terminal near Plattsburg and only an hour 's drive from both Lake Placid and Montréal.
I would give this lodge and hosts my highest recommendation and would include a visit during future trips to the area.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Point Au Roche Lodge

Reviewed 29 January 2008

It's been 10 and 11 years since our first visits and 1 since our most recent, but not our last. On our second visit to the Lodge I proposed to my wife. Unfortunate circumstances brought us back to Plattsburgh last year, but staying at the Lodge was a foregone conclusion for us.

I called to make the reservation for last year’s trip and explained that we had been there before. The proprietor asked if I had a room preference based on our earlier trips and I was delighted to learn the very first room (our favorite) was available.

In the time between our visits the ownership had changed hands. This change in ownership has had no negative consequences from our experience. In our conversation the new proprietors told me about trip advisor and I am only now making good on my promise to add my two cents. The new proprietors were delighted to hear about the events and memories of our first trips and gave us an update on the original owners - who complimented us with a bottle of Champaign upon learning we just got engaged upstairs.

The Lodge has not changed since our very first visit. I will not try to provide a better description than previous reviewers as they have already done a far better job than I could. I can only echo their comments. The great room with fireplace is a serene place to ‘get away’. There is also a photo album with contributions from previous visitors. I am only sorry I have no contribution to make.

The breakfast was absolutely wonderful. Meeting others on their travels and sharing each other’s stories makes the Bed and Breakfast experience truly special. Couple this with the special memories we have there is no other place for us when we visit the region.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2007

Beautiful, wonderful, fantastic...can't quite express it in words. The atmosphere is relaxing, just what we needed. The fireplace and jacuzzis in the rooms completed the setting. Well run and immaculate. Would return again and again - a perfect place to get away!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vacationhopoes
Reviewed 18 October 2007

My husband and I recently spent a night at the lodge after travelling through New England. Can easily say it was the most relaxing and beautiful place to stay. At first we were at bit leary that it seemed to be out in the middle of nowhere and that we would find ourselves bored (no TV's in the place). However, after going into town nearby for dinner, we came back to sit by a cozy crackling fire, reading books from the lodge's library. We felt totally at home and the hosts, Karen and Creston, were marvellously hospitable. The room (Quilter) was huge, clean and very comfortable. We had our best sleep of the whole trip and woke up to a delicious gourmet breakfast! Wish we could have stayed longer and definitely want to come back again in the future. Great place for adults, but not so great if you have children, as noise does travel easily in the lodge. Overall, highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shraklik
Reviewed 4 August 2007

Just got back from a week long stay in the Planter room. The lodge and surrounding are beautiful and peaceful and the room was very nice and much bigger than it seemed in pictures.(They don't mention it but that jacuzzi is big enough for two. A definite plus!) Karen and Creston are wonderful hosts. Creston makes a mean breakfast (Especially the citrus French Toast) and Karen was always incredibly helpful making great suggestions about things to do and see in the area.

We really enjoyed hiking in the park across the street and at Ausable Chasm and kayaking at the Chazy Yacht club. Great meals are to be had at Minnie's and The Smoked Pepper. The Naked Turtle is a great laid back place for drinks.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank NYCTravelBug55
Reviewed 4 September 2006

Although technically a B&B because the owners live on the premises, the building is a gracious Adirondack lodge of log construction, soaring ceilings, mammoth stone fireplace and floor to ceiling great room windows commanding a distant view of Lake Champlain. It was constructed to be a bed and breakfast, so the tastefully decorated rooms and bathrooms are large and many have private balconies and patios. The atmosphere and warm welcome of the hosts, Creston and Karen Billings, makes you feel right at home. Local artists' paintings, primarly North Country landscapes, further embellishes the lodge-feel. Creston, a CIA graduate, produces a gourmet breakfast that is included in the room rate. For bird watchers, this is paradise - over a dozen bird feeders outside the dining room window attract every variety. The Lodge is so special and such great value, it is reason enough to return to Plattsburgh.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank chestnuthouse
Reviewed 12 July 2006

I stayed at the Point Au Roche Lodge over 4th of July weekend. I have to say that it is the best B&B I've ever found via an internet search. It is located right across the street from Point Au Roche State Park and Lake Champlain. There are plenty of activities in the area. The Lodge is big and most of the rooms have jacuzzi tubs and a bidet. We stayed in the Flower room with our own fire place, four poster bed, and balcony with adirondak chairs. After a long day of boating/fishing, the screened in gazebo was a great place to relax and read before we headed out for dinner. There is a restaurant less than a mile from the lodge at a marina. Lodge owners, Karen and Creston, were extremely cordial and always had great suggestions on local activities. We were able to rent a canoe with an electric motor for $35 for half a day at the Chazy Yacht club. (Right at the mouth of Lake Champlain, they have kayaks too!) I can't say enough about how wonderful the breakfasts were. There were two choices every morning and included a Spinach Mushroom Cheese frittata and fresh blueberry pancakes. Each plate was served with crisp thick sliced bacon and fresh fruit. The lodge is less than an hour away from Montreal and local ski resorts and very close to the Lake Champlain ferry to Vermont. I would recommend this lodge for anyone looking for a trip full of relaxation. There are no TVs in the rooms, so it is a welcomed getaway and a chance to read that book you've been too busy to start. I can't wait to return in the winter for some skiing and a chance to use the fireplace!

3  Thank rosey57a