“Wysiwyg”

Butcher Block Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 130 Restaurants in Plattsburgh
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Butcher Block restaurant in Plattsburgh, NY is family owned and specializes in steak and seafood, but offers a wide variety of delicious options.
“Wysiwyg”
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

I've been visiting this restaurant since long before I ever heard that term, and I keep going back. In my experience it's true: what you see is, indeed, what you get. This is a place that tries to do a good honest job of providing an interesting menu at a fair price, not overreaching or trying to be something it's not. The excellent salad bar with the fresh bread you slice yourself onto plates you take directly from a warmer has everything for a complete meal or as a complement to an entree. I've sampled different menu items and been satisfied with everything, but I do keep going back to the ribs. I haven't actually ordered a steak there in a long time, so I cannot add any comment to what other reviewers have said.

The staff has always been friendly and helpful, striving to please.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the very nice wine list which has developed over time. When I first started eating at the Butcher Bock their list was much more basic than it has become. Now you can find a good wine to accompany any menu choice at a fair and affordable price.

Overall a good experience. I would, and will, go back.

Creoteam, at Butcher Block Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 September 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We hope you will continue to dine with us!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good meal at a fair price with great service.”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was the first time we ever stopped at a Butcher Block and we really enjoyed the visit. We were driving from Montreal to Philadelphia and Butcher Block was conveniently located just off route 87 in Plattsburgh. We liked everything about it, the food, the prices, the ambiance and the service. I had the chicken bruschetta and my wife had the baby back ribs. The meal kept us satisfied through 8 hours of driving.

• Visited August 2014
Quebec City
“Everything was great, but...”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Great service, great soup and salad bar, appetizers, accompanying vegetables and wine. Love those Californian wines! The only slightly negative was our steak: while tasty, it was a bit sinewy, for which they were very apologetic. Also, know that their medium-rare steak is more like rare in our experience.

New york
“What we needed”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We ate here and had a very nice meal. I had the smaller portion of ribs and my husband the smaller portion of a chicken dish. It was plenty when you add in the salad and soup bar. The bread was fantastic!!! and the cheese soup was marvelous. The portion was just enough to eat all and not feel overstuffed.
We sat in a booth in the bar area and it was actually quieter than the main dining area. We would go there again.

Isle La Motte, Vermont
“Very UGH!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Went there on the weekend with about sixty family members to celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday. It had been 12 years since I have eaten there. I ordered medium rare prime rib and what I got was a 3/8 inch thick medium cooked piece of meat with a thick dark brown overpowering sauce covering the meat. It was terrible and the sauce was so overwhelming that I could not even taste the meat. Maybe in retrospect that was a good thing. One person sitting close to me had the same experience. My brother-in-law sitting on my side ordered scampi and received a very small plate with six very small shrimp and nothing else. It will be much more than 12 years before I even consider going back. Don't waste your money, time and taste buds.

3 Thank Real D