“Turn a round”
Review of Shady Oaks RV Park

Shady Oaks RV Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plattsburgh
Shady Oaks RV Park
mineville
“Turn a round”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

If you are thinking of staying here, don't!!!! We stayed from May 15th-August 19th 2012 just to help our son get established in Plattsburgh. Some say it's quiet and they are right. The reason for this is NO ONE IS THERE!!!!! The owners are soooooooo rude. When talking to Lousie she won't even look up from the desk or book she is reading to address you, won't wave, it's rediculous. We had a couple come visit us on Memorial day at 9:30 A.M. on a motorcycle to have coffee as we also drive a motorcycle. We were all going over to the VT Thunder Ride that day. Our friend is a US ARMY RETIRED BRONZE STAR RECEIPEANT and the owner REFUSED to let them in because they were on a motorcycle. So VETS beware and take note!!!!!
The list of rules are never ending and I will never stay or recommond anyone to stay in this very run down place. Our electric went out more than once, we were without water because of line breaks, cable prices roses after we paided our bill. Like I said it was never ending.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank peggy m
Louise B, Manager at Shady Oaks RV Park, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
You, your husband & your son stayed here as a seasonal camper. I do not watch people closely when they come into my store because I don't feel that I should pressure anyone to purchase items and I trust that people are honest. I apologize for not responding when people wave but I can not see at a distance. As for the motorcycles coming in at 9:30 in the morning, visitors check-in time is 11 o'clock in the morning. We cover every aspect of rules that can be broken and we ask perspectives seasonal campers to read them prior to becoming a seasonal camper. Just about all of the rules pertain to board of health, fire code and insurance regulations. We had received many complaints of your son driving too fact while in the park. Your power outage was discovered when you both came in at midnight which was due to overloading the 30amp. circuit in the electric box that had burned out. A new 30amp. circuit was installed the very next morning. The cost of Cable TV for the season had very increased. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I camped at Shady Oaks on August 11 & 12th and I will never go back. The owners are rude and lack any warmth of any kind. In an almost empty campground (I wonder why?), they placed us in a sight behind the office, next to the pile of broken pic nic tables and an old tractor with weeds growing around it. The whole deck of the office is an eyesore, it needs to be stained badly. The water was not turned on at our site, my husband had to request the water in the office. The owner left the desk and disappeared, leaving my husband standing there, and then 5 mins later came back and said that we have water now. Too many rules and zero atmosphere. It seemed like a chore to serve their guests. We coined the campground "[-] Oaks," as this was more fitting as there was not a tree in sight of our campsite.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank starlenerose
Louise B, Owner at Shady Oaks RV Park, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
I apologize for not having the work camper turn the water on at your location within the park. He had fixed a leak and had forgotten to turn that water zone back on. In the year 2012 we had rain for 6 weeks straight and the ground was too soft to have the work camper remove the pile of damaged picnic tables and old small mower tractor. The Manager is advised to give campers with pop-up unit a more private campsite so not to be disturbed by cars drive through the park which is why she put you at that location. You were not placed next to the pile of tables but 2 lots over from there. We prefer to place campers with pop-ups close to the bathrooms for their convenience. We do have trees seeing that we are called Shady Oaks. Sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Travellers are raving about these Plattsburgh hotels

Bombay, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We are currently staying at Shady Oaks (for the last time ever).

Let me preface this by saying this place has the potential to be an excellent campground. It is located close to the Plattsburgh Beach, Lake Champlain Ferry (to Vermont) and close to the city of Plattsburgh. Unfortunately, it is faf from excellent.

As soon as we arrived, it was obvious that the lady in the office was far from friendly. Actually she was rude and impatient. According to their website, upon arrival, you will be " ESCORTED TO SITE". Not only were we not escorted to our site, the lady seemed very indignant that I asked where to find our site. She pointed to a map on the wall (they did not even have a printed campsite map) and told me which site we were on.

When we arrived at the site, the grass was about 6" high. When I asked about it, I was told that "they" had just left and she didn't have time to mow it. The whole place needs a major refurbishing.

I went to the office/store for ice and was told (witht he same surly attitude) that a local conveniene store had the monopoly on ice and they didn't sell it. I had to leave the campground to get ice.

We invited friends, a local couple, to join us for dinner. They arrived at 5:30 PM (and left around 11 PM). There was no one in the office, when they arrived. A little later, the unfriendly lady from the office appeared and demanded their names and a $5 " day use fee" for each of them. This in addition to the $32 regular fee, plus $3 per day for use of AC. Can you imagine staying in a hotel that demanded a $5 fee for each visitor?

As it got dark, the mosquitoes were so bad that we had to move inside. Don't paln on having a campfire, unless you want to be eaten by mosquitoes!

In our many years of camping (we are in our 50's), I have never been treated this poorly in a campground. I will never return here and I would never recommend this palce to anyone!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank CCS55
I placed you on our most preferred Wifi & Cable TV campsite across the street from the office on a gravel campsite with a shady oak tree. I would have escorted you to your campsite if I hadn't had another couple waiting to be served in my office at that time. When you were registering at the office I did mentioned the daily visitors fee needed to be paid prior to going to your campsite.
I did mentioned that the direction as to how to register visitors was posted on the message board at the front booth next to the entrance of the office if I was not in the office. I did see your visitors drive into the park and go directly to your campsite. I waited an hour for them to come to the office before I went to your campsite to ask them to register. Our insurance company will not provide coverage of liability if one is not a paid registered camper.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2010

The web-site is very misleading, those pictures must have been taken some time ago. The place is run down and the grounds are not well kept. The staff were rude and made sure to give us a long list of rules. Which I thought to be very harsh for what was advertised as a friendly camp ground. We would not recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank Travelers1960
Louise B, Owner at Shady Oaks RV Park, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Our work camper couple for the year 2010 has since been replaced due to their rudeness and not maintaining the campground to our liking. Sorry you did not like your stay. Maybe you will try us again in the future.
Adirondacks
Reviewed 31 January 2010

We stay at Shady Oaks several times a year for shopping and Dr. Visits as we live two hours away from these amenities. The surroundings are lovely and rural and it is 15 minutes to the shopping in Plattsburgh. Also the beach at the state park on Lake Champlain. After reading the previous reviews I have to comment that I am really glad that those people wil not be there this year.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank buckmnt
Virginia
Reviewed 20 January 2009

It was NOT clean the owners could use a lesson in manners and how to respect people who are paying customers. would not refund money after harrassing us all weekend for stupid 50/50 ticket. I was there to relax ..I couldn;t because the owners would keep hounding me for more money..How can they think that it is ok to come on your lot and demand money for stupid bingo.and 50/50 tickets...there was hardly any campers...maybe a handful at most...Now I understand why it was empty...

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the owners were rude
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
8 Thank camper128
This review was writing by a seasonal camper would was evicted from Shady Oaks RV Park. She has been posted since the year 2004.