“Okay hotel, polite staff”

Best Western Plus Plattsburgh
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Plattsburgh
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Considering that Plattsburgh isn't a huge town, most hotels in the area are very budget, including this one.

The hotel is very close to the shopping malls, so if you're in town for some shopping, it's very convenient. The staff was generally very polite. The hotel itself was clean and there are plenty of free parking spaces. The hotel has 2 floors, though no elevators. They have free high speed Internet which worked just fine through WiFi, as well as 2 or 2 computers in the business area, which you can freely use.

As for the room, we had one with a queen bed. The room had all the usual stuff and then some: modern LCD TV, old phone, microwave, small coffee machine, mini fridge, armchair, desk, etc. The room was rather small though, everything would fit tightly. The bathroom was not very modern, but sufficient for most needs. The room was also generally clean, though I've noticed a few hair here and there in the bed and bathroom. The walls were a bit thin, as we could clearly hear the TV's noises from the room next to ours one night. Thankfully, that didn't last all night though. The A/C was also rather annoying as it was loud and pushing cold air right unto us, since it's situated very close to the bed.

The breakfast is included, and there's a small room for it. However, we found that there was barely any space to move around as more people were coming in and seatings were very limited. I'd definitely wish that they had a bigger area for it. The breakfast itself was good though: you could find eggs, bread, biscuits, bagels, english muffins, waffle machines, coffee, orange & apple juice, cereal, yogurts, many yummie pastries, muffins, etc. The staff was putting new fresh items quickly on the counters.

Overall, the hotel was convenient and I'd recommend it if someone is looking for something cheap.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sunnymay23
Nineplatt, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

Thank you for your report through trip advisor, and your compliments about our staff. I will be sure to pass it on.
I am sorry that the noise from an adjacent room infiltrated through the wall. All of our walls are firewalls consisting of a 12 inch insulated concrete block wall with half inch sheet rock on either side. I will try to duoplicate the issue and see if it falls within tolerances.
I will also inspect the HVAC unit but will not be able to unless you advise me of the room you were in since I do not have your name.
The room you stayed in is one of only 22 that are smaller then the balance of our 126 rooms and suites. They are smaller but are very popular for an overnight business trip when you spend so little time in the room.
Unfortunately the seating in our breakfast area is limited to 40 people though we have much more room around the serving area to allow for flow. During times such as college graduation this area can get crowded and I am sorry if it inconvenienced you. We do have our Great room available for additional seating adjacent to the space and of course our outdoor patio which as of late has been useless becaise of the rain.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Plattsburgh

Reviewed 12 May 2011

My wife and I have stayed at most of the alternatives in the Plattsburgh area. We keep coming back to Best Western. From the moment of arrival, everything about our stay consistantly exceeds our expectations. Friendly staff, clean room and facilities, homey atmosphere, great food with plenty of hot and cold choices. We used the pool and the excercise room; both were clean and welcoming.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Nineplatt, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

Thank you very much for your kind comments and for taking the time to fill out a comment on trip advisor. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff.

I wish you safe travels and look forward to future stays at the Inn at Smithfield

Owner

Reviewed 30 April 2011

Stayed overnight as we were flying out of PBG the following morning. Loved the free shuttle to the airport.

I remember this hotel very well as the former Howard Johnsons with theIr huge indoor pool, that wonderful pool is still there, an indoor one a neccessity for Plattsburgh's climate.
The rooms were OK, nothing fancy here, a notch below a newer Hampton Inn up the street, but considerably cheaper, $89 for two doubles vs a king unit @$130 at Hampton. The complimentary breakfast had the typical breakfast fare, a waffle maker, a cheese omlette ready for the microwave, good bagels, cereals, fruit, yogurt and croissants. No complaints here.
The quirks: We were in room 130, and I thought I spotted a hardwire connection for the internet behind the bureau where the TV sits, I fished out the wire, which was the cable wire and a months full of dust coated the cable, peering behind the bureau it was obvious that that area has not been cleaned in some time. Granted it's difficult to get to, but no excuses here. In the end I discovered the wireless which worked fine. The telephone is circa 1972, I haven't seen one of those in years, you know the first generation push botton ones, a real clunker. It was beige or perhaps white at one time, now it's a bit soiled and really outdated. A HoJo's relic. Plattsburgh has been hit with heavy rains in recent days, so the entrance to the rear area facing The Ground Round was muddy, where's the concrete?
These were minor annoyances, however with all the other positives it's a good place to stay in Plattsburgh and I wouldn't hestitate to stay again next time we fly fron PBG. This will be our preferred property now. I hear Marriott plans to build up the street so competition is fierce on the Route 3 strip.

By the way we ate at avery busy 99 Restaurant on the premises, service was outstanding. The food was better than the usual 'chain' restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank norman18
Nineplatt, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2011

Reviewer is correct we were a Howard Johnson started by my family in 1965. We converted to Best Western in 1998 and have had many improvements including a high speed fiber optics to provide free internet service in 1998. The jack is located next to the desk and is colored orange.

I have inspected the room for dust and noted improvement but we can do a better job in the future.

The telephone system is being upgraded today but the in room phones will not be affected at this point in the upgrade. Since we are continuing upgrades some other rooms have newer phones as well as our suites. The original color is beige.
Unfortunately we are experiencing area floods due to Lake Champlain being at record levels over 3 feet above flood stage. We also have to deal with some unfavorable elevation issues at two of our nine entrances which become a problem during these times.
Thank you for your comments and aassistance, we look forward to having you as a guest in the future.
Sincerely, Bob Smith

Reviewed 24 April 2011

The entire staff at the BW at Smithfield in Plattsburgh is helpful and very attentive to the needs of their guests. Great breakfast, great gym, comfortable, clean beds, a swimming pool surrounded by arcade games, and two great resutarants within walking distance. Can't ask for too much more. The "business center" leaves something to be desired, but that's about the only bad aspect of the facility.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Nineplatt, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Dear sir,
Thank your comments about our staff and property. I appreciate you taking the time to fill out a trip report. To that end you mentioned that our business center could be improved. Please feel free to contact me and give me your thoughts.
Again thanks for your business.

Owner

Reviewed 10 April 2011

We just needed a room for one night - our flight from Plattsburgh left early in the morning. The inn at Smthfield is very close to the airport, and the price was right. As it turned out, the service was top notch. Travelling with 2 children and an infant is no piece of cake, but staff helped to make our trip comfortable. We were able to borrow a crib for the baby, and the older two wore of some steam in the full sized pool. We ate at the nearby Ground Round (also, good service), which provided a good family atmosphere and well priced entrees. The Best Western Smithfield has an excellent complimentary breakfast, including waffles, eggs, and fresh fruit. The free wi-fi was also a nice bonus. Don't forget to show your CAA or AAA card for a reduced rate! Will stay there again, thanks.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank kanatajo
Nineplatt, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

Thank you very much for your review and I appreciate the nice comments about the staff and property. I will be sure to pass it on to them.

I hope your vacation brings you fond memories

Sincerely

Reviewed 21 March 2011

We pay 80$ (government rate for one night) Service is friendly and room is comfortable. Went for dinner at Friendly's and were very satisfied. The hotel continental breakfast was better than we expected. Lots of variety.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Nineplatt, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Thank you very much for your comments and business. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast. we hope to have you a guest again soon

President
Nine Platt Hospitality Group

Reviewed 21 February 2011

We stayed in the executive suite room 303, It was very clean and inviting. It also was tastefully decorated. The double whirlpool tub was nice and relaxing. We asked for a deck of cards at the front desk and they were delivered pomptly...with a smile :) The continental breakfast was one of the best with so many choices. The king size bed was very comfortable. The room was large very private and quiet. All of the staff at this hotel including the staff at the 99 Restaurant were very nice and accomodating. I can't wait to come back!

*THERE WAS NOT ONE THING I DID NOT LIKE*

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Nineplatt, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2011

Thank you very much for your kind comments about our staff and property. I will be sure to pass it on to them