“Disappointing”

Gourmet Burger Bistro
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I decided to try it when I was in Port Jeff and not in the mood for any of the seafood restaurants. On a sunny Saturday afternoon, the place was pretty much empty.

The menu refers to their hamburgers as being either "beef" or "mixed beef." The waitress explained that the latter meant it would have topping ingredients mixed into the burger. This sounded great, but when it was served, I couldn't find anything like she described. The burger was only dry, crumbly, tasteless meat.

Other reviewers have said the burgers are small. They do look small on the bun, but only because they are formed high instead of flattened. There is actually a lot of meat in them, but what's the point when it's not juicy or good? Likewise the cheese was tasteless and congealed almost immediately after it was served. Weirdly, the highlight of the meal was the steamed vegetables I got on the side in place of fried onions. Very generous portion and really flavorful.

The pleasant service and atmosphere redeemed the food a little bit, but I doubt I will ever go back. There are too many other good places to eat in Port Jeff.

1  Thank shell202020

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I like the Burgers here, all different kinds. Stuffed with cheeses, stuffed with veggies, covered with any numbers of sauces or toppings. Love the buns here as well. The salt and vinegar fries are pretty good too. If I owned the place i wouldn't have wanted that exact location because it is a bit off the street but they seem to do well with it. Check it out

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Recommended by a friend,we decided to grab some lunch on a Sat. Afternoon. Place was not crowded but it took quite a while for our server to come to our table. I ordered burger with bacon and cheese which was in the middle of burger medium well. Burgers come with fried onion straws which were excellent. We ordered one order of fries for the three of us to share and they were also excellent. Burgers were a disappointment in that there were overdone severely and the size was small. I expected for the money to have larger than about a 3-4 ounce burger. Place is not cheap but I understand it's in Port Jefferson but there's no excuse for service and size of burgers.

2  Thank blewnc
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I was in pj for the annual dickens fest in December while walking I noticed a sign for potato soup. The soup was probably the best I have ever had they had a small portion of sour cream on the bottom so when you dipped you spoon you would get a little surprise unfortanetly this is not a regular menu item but it did make me come back several times since and I always find the food to be very good also their is a good selection of wine and local beer on tap

1  Thank Amy2982
Reviewed 5 August 2013

More expensive than fast food burgers but high quality and large portions. Burgers and fries taken to the max. This is written someone who's not normally a big meat eater