Bridgeport and Port Jefferson Steamboat Company
Open today: 06:00 - 20:00
Review Highlights
We had such a nice day

My sister and I took the PJ Ferry to Connecticut and back again and had a lovely day. A nice slow... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
Arlene M
Selden, New York
Convenient and reliable

Enjoyed a day trip to Long Island from CT on the ferry (1hr, 15 minute passage). The free parking... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
DJMXX
Westport, Connecticut
via mobile

All reviews new england long island port jeff snack bar nice ride ferry ride top deck relaxing trip city traffic day trip upstate ny avoid traffic loading and unloading ferry service hour and minutes li sound make reservations
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have taken my vehicle on the ferry several times. It is a seam-less process, especially when reservations are made. Simply drive up, give your name and you will be advised which line to get in based on the size of your vehicle. Boarding is very well organized and simple. Although it won't necessarily save you any time depending upon your destination, I would choose a smooth relaxing boat ride across the sound rather than driving through NYC/Long Island traffic any day, even if it were raining.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were traveling from the eastern portion of Long Island to Albany New York on a Sunday afternoon. It was Peurto Rican Parade day in the city and we were not looking forward to driving in city traffic on a hot day. We decided to take the ferry instead and bypass the city. It was a great choice.

The parking lot is confusing to get into and signage is not the best in Port Jefferson but after pulling in we were put right in line. When the ship came in, unloading and loading was fast and efficient. Our ferry was clean and quiet. Plenty of seating inside and out. There is a snackbar and lounge on board. It was a quick hour and a few minutes to get to Bridgeport and unloading was quick.

We purchased tickets on line for the car and driver. Additional passengers pay on the ship- which is a little confusing and an additional hassle. It was a beautiful day and the water was flat and the temps warm/hot. Great trip across. Didn't save alot of miles actually driving or time travelling, but saved a ton of stress by not having to go through NYC.!!

Cost wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Since we live near Port Jefferson, the ferry is the quickest way to get across the sound. it is especially convenient when we know in advance when we want to leave and make a reservation. There are 2 ferries; one of them is a little faster then the other; both have lavatories and snack bars and usually are clean. The ferry saves the hassle and gas of going around through New York to get to Connecticut. The only thing I dislike, and try to avoid is having the car on the ramp going up or down.

1  Thank CLK950
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Yesterday I went to Port Jeff for the first time with a friend who was visiting from Chile. We drove up to Bridgeport and parked the car across the street from the Ferry dock; it was $16 for the whole day, I know that there is a free parking lot with a shuttle somewhere, but we couldn't find it.

The ride on the ferry was smooth and uneventful, which is exactly what you want when you are on a boat. In the main cabin there are comfortable seats, electric outlets to recharge your devices and a small "store" where you can get coffee, sodas, sandwiches, etc. I have to say the coffee was not bad, not great either but it did the trick.

On the main passenger deck at the front of the vessel there is a small bar where you can get drinks and food. We were traveling early in the morning so we did not take advantage of it, but definitely a fun feature for an afternoon trip.

Overall it was a nice experience. We had great weather so the view was quite pleasant. I am not giving it 5 stars because the staff was on the "cold" side. I don't want to say unfriendly because that would be too strong of a word, but they were definitely not looking for new friends. I am not the kind of person that like overly perky waiters or service staff, but cracking a smile has never killed anybody (that I know at least)

I will be definitely going back this summer is a fun day trip.

1  Thank RicardoPH
Reviewed 24 May 2014

A one day round trip ticket for a senior is $20. For that one can ride from Bridgeport to "Port Jeff", hearing the buoy bells, feeling the wind in one's face and getting a bit of vitamin D from the sun. There are many restaurants to choose from for a meal before returning. One great surprise was that there was free parking and a free shuttle that showed up at the parking lot upon arriving and took us back after the day trip.

I don't think a day trip to Bridgeport would be nice for walking to a restaurant or anyplace. Such a walk would feel dangerous and other than the Port Building itself only an ugly view of the power plant. Somehow, Port Jefferson's power plant and beaches just look more appealing1