“Major time saver!!”

Bridgeport and Port Jefferson Steamboat Company
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Last week I took the ferry for the 2nd time this year and in my life. The 1st trip was in Feb on our trip to the Olympics in Sochi (so didn't go out on the deck, burrrr). This most recent trip was for a party in Quogue LI. Sit in traffic or sit on the deck of a boat...hummm, easy choice! The staff on the ship and on the docks were professional and very service oriented and efficient. When you consider the cost of gas, tolls and time this is an absolute bargain!! Highly recommend it.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"make reservations"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a convenient way to get from downtown Bridgeport, CT, to Port Jefferson on north-central Long Island, without the drive around New York City. However, the price is high and the boat seems rather old, worn and industrial, as if, like Bridgeport, it has seen better days. You're advised to use the rest-rooms at the dock, rather than the (dirty) ones on the boat. The ferry was quiet on a cold late-May morning, but probably is very busy in the summer, so follow the guidelines on the web about arriving early at the dock. Tickets for the car and driver can be bought on-line ahead of time, but once on board you still must take your receipt to the purser's office on the boat to get an exit pass and to pay for any passengers in the car (extra price). There is food for sale at the dock in Bridgeport and on the boat, but the choices are limited- probably best to eat at a restaurant in Port Jefferson, which seemed to be a cute but very busy town. The information desk at the Bridgeport dock stocks helpful maps of Long Island and brochures about area attractions. Overall, we preferred the ferry between New London, CT, and Orient Point, NY.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We decided to take the ferry over to L.I. to save time in commuting. It was a great decision and we're glad we chose to do it. Coming back to CT on our return trip we decided to drive all the way which wasn't a good decision. In fact when we go back to L.I. we will definitely take the ferry in both directions. The loading and unloading of cars was very efficient and hardly took any time at all.

1  Thank HarryRCT
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I live in CT and when a beautiful Saturday or Sunday beckons me to be outside, I call the Bpt-Port Jeff Ferry! Arrive 30 min prior, get in line, and off you go. A beautiful hour-ling boat ride awaits and a wonderful town to explore with great restaurants on the other end. Whether you bring your car or just walk on board. A great last minute getaway!

2  Thank claate
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have taken my vehicle on the ferry several times. It is a seam-less process, especially when reservations are made. Simply drive up, give your name and you will be advised which line to get in based on the size of your vehicle. Boarding is very well organized and simple. Although it won't necessarily save you any time depending upon your destination, I would choose a smooth relaxing boat ride across the sound rather than driving through NYC/Long Island traffic any day, even if it were raining.