“A good night's sleep is Not to be had on Saturday night”

Danford's Hotel & Marina
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Port Jefferson
New York
“A good night's sleep is Not to be had on Saturday night”
Reviewed 30 June 2008

All I wanted was a nice place to stay for a Saturday evening to be well rested for an early Sunday morning bicycle tour on the Island. I admit I was not there to party. Boy did I pick the wrong place. My first clue was seeing all of the function rooms that were directly adjacent to and across from my room. My second was seeing all of the chairs that were being setup directly outside my ground floor room in the afternoon for a reception. I’ve never been to a hotel that forcefully subjects guests to someone else’s wedding directly outside their room. I’m fairly certain I wasn’t invited. In any case, that was done with by the time we went to bed in the evening. I breathed a sigh of relief until I realized that there were several other “parties” going on (as well as the hotel’s restaurant/bar) that would continue late into the evening, all of which were well within earshot. One of the musicians even took a break outside our room and decided to regale us all with various old Black Sabbath tunes and random scales. I guess he had nothing better to do. When I informed the front desk, they said security would be out shortly, and that I should help them find the person…as though a lone Sax player playing Iron Man and Crazy Train would be difficult to spot. In any case, the noise eventually died down…right around 3:30 a.m. Just in time for me to get a couple of hours of sleep. The only thing that drowned any of it out, was the heat pump/air-conditioning unit in the room. It would kick off every 20 or so minutes. Its whisper quite operation (if you consider a tractor engine whisper quite) gave me something else to listen to…a new form of white noise. Luckily (I’m being sarcastic), as a final insult I got a bit more sleep because the front desk conveniently forgot to place my wake-up call. This is the worst night’s sleep I have ever gotten in a nice (and certainly not cheap)hotel, bar none. My room was very nice, quite obviously recently renovated and very well appointed. Sadly, the one thing I wanted it for, it did not deliver.

• Liked — Well appointed and clean
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iscem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Korean first
NYC
Reviewed 29 April 2008

this place really was a HUGE suprise!!!! Besides being the nicest place in the town, it was surounded by a quaint village and and the Long Island Sound. Danfors also has a huge dock that you can go and look at all of the boats. The resteraunt experiance both times really was great. our dinner was romantic and our brunch was really very fun. The only issue we had was that we did not have a reservation for brunch so we had to wait about 15 minutes at the loby bar. When we commented to the bartender about the wait they said that it is a very popular spot and since the renovation, it has been pretty busy. I dont know how much was spent but it had to be millions. The rooms, lobby and resteraunt made you feel like you were in either Miami or the nicest boutique hotels in NYC. Anyway, since I am not getting paid for my review, I will quit now and just say, go, go to this wonderful spot on Long Island when you want something special for the girl you lovew (or guy).......

• Liked — the rooms are all new and the showers are something to see...WOWOWOWOW
  • Disliked — we wanted to stay a 3rd night but they were sold out
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Long Island
Reviewed 29 April 2008

I had dinner the other night at Danford's because I heard that they opened a new restaurant there called Wave. I heard the hotel was recently renovated and made last minute plans to enjoy a night out with friends. We were having so much fun we decided to stay overnight. It was really really great!

The restaurant was lovely, all new decor, candles, new lighting. The food was fantastic - a ton of seafood, newly added sushi that everyone loved. The Chef came out and was walking around talking to people. It was very comfortable and cozy and we just ate and ate.

The hotel rooms were just renovated too and they are outstanding! Ipod docking station, rain head shower heads, renovated linens and carpets and drapes...the whole place looked brand new!!

The bar was packed and everyone was having fun. And oh by the way the bartender on Saturday night made this coffee drink that was fantastic.

Come see the new Danfords! You will be amazed at the transformation!!! I know I was.

Stayed April 2008
nyc
Reviewed 28 April 2008

Overall I grade the entire Danford's experience an A-

My mother had given us the "elegance package" for our First Anniversary. My wife and myself took a ride out this past Saturday and from start to finish we had a blast!

The package included one nights lodging, chilled bubbly upon arrival, full 4 course dinner at "The Wave" and full breakfast the following morning.

First off, I'd just like to say that the town of Port Jefferson is just wonderful. After check inn (which was quick and easy) AND after dinner we wandered around town and had a few drinks at a few different spots. We even did a wine tasting and had the chance to sing Karaoke at a local pub! Seems like there is some good shopping in the village as well.

The biggest complaint I hear on Tripadvisor about Danfords is that the hotel needs renovating. Well, chill out everyone! It's happening right now as we speak... Although the exteriors of our rooms/buildings looked a little older, the interior was amazing. Soft bedding, flat screens, an amazing shower, and WIFI...

Please note there are a number of separate lodging areas, not just the Main building. We were in J5, just across the main street and we had a common deck and town view. We would have enjoyed the sea view better but we were told it was a 50.00 surcharge. It's all good, I was able to spot some Irish Flags (meaning a pub) from our deck and I was determined to locate it. We did find it and also found the local people quite friendly as well.

The Wave restaurant was to die for. Our package included ANYTHING on the menu including specials. I had the twin lobster tails and they were some of the best I have ever had. It's a real chic, trendy, sexy and inviting little lounge that they have upfront while waiting for you table. The have an amazing list of Martini's and Specialty drinks to all tastes and styles.

The following morning we returned to the same restaurant for an elaborate breakfast. Whoever was making those omelette's should get a raise, it was an award winning sausage / cheese & pepper omelette.

We take a lot of "mini vacations" and "small getaways" and I must say that Danford's was by far one of the best. The town helps the property a lot because you know there are a ton of nightlife options availible just after dinner.

If you can get a room a decent rate, please get out there ASAP.

Thank you Danfords for making it a great trip!

• Liked — The free bubbly in room which I consumed seconds after....
  • Disliked — no free upgrade to sea view
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Crumz32
Sag Harbor
Reviewed 3 April 2008

For the past several years I have been staying at Danfords on business and always enjoyed the hotel, restaurant and location. I did not expect to see the unbelievable changes that have occurred since my last stay! The rooms have been totally upgraded to standards that I would expect at the high end hotels around the country. The showers with rain heads are great, the ipod radios have great sound and the flat screen tv's (my room had two!) are definitely an upgrade from the "old" rooms. The beds felt like I was floating on air- very comfortable!!! The restaurant is now bright, chic and cosmopolitan in feel. The menu reflects this too with great food. This hotel always had a lot to offer as it is in the middle of the village with lots of options for my down time and that is why it was always my choice but with the renovated restaurant and hotel rooms, it has now become one of my favorite hotels while I travel on business. One of the few places where I feel like I am not on business. The staff mentioned that more improvements are being made and the entire property is getting a makeover. As I said, what a pleasant surprise to see these changes since I stayed last year!!

• Liked — Showers, IPod station, bed
  • Disliked — Fitness room
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 24 February 2008

This hotel is set right on the water in Port Jefferson. The location is beautiful, convenient, and allows you to walk around the town with ease. The staff was pretty friendly.
Unfortunately, it is not worth the money you pay for it. ($269 night) The hotel, is run down and in major need of updates. Our room had carpet that buckled and was peeling up, water spots on ceiling, peeling wallpaper, dingy walls in need of paint, and old chipped furniture.
We had high expectations, since we have stayed at other placs in this area before.... we were let down. We were scheduled to stay for 4 nights and checked out after one night. We could not stomach paying $269 per night for a room like this. After checking in, we debated leaving right away.... but it was late and raining outside... so we phone the front desk and asked if we could cancel the remaining nights to our stay (to which they kindly agreed to). If some renovations were done, it would be a charming place to stay in this beautiful town.

• Liked — Wonderful location on the water
  • Disliked — Old, outdated rooms and poorly detioriating furnishings (not as clean as expected either)
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissBuffalo
LI
Reviewed 2 February 2008

Well, I wanted to spend a night away with my girlfriend and it was horrid. I went to this building with was the E building, it was plainly disgusting. I didnt have my card working, so someone came up and gave me new keys, they as well didnt work. So it would have been nice if they at least waited to see if the keys worked. Once inside, the room was not even made. We called the desk, just to get someone will be there right away. Right away is 30 mins later. So I really wanted to watch tv and that was a hassle the batteries were dead.
The next moring after sleep on a lumpy bed. We had breakfast, best thing was the deli we went to. I wouldnt even dare to image the service at their restaurant. So we checked out as fast as we checked out. They thought I was a hassle, the staff up front was more consumed with the phone than to check me out. So a rotten hotel I hope someone burns it to the ground

• Liked — NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel

Been to Danford's Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!