“Great place, just a bit unlucky on timing”
Review of Erie Hotel

Erie Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Jervis
Erie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Port Jervis B&B and Inns
Amherst, New Hampshire
“Great place, just a bit unlucky on timing”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

First of all, let me say I am a 61-year old male who was in Port Jervis on business which will flavor some of this review.

I had stayed in another hotel 10 miles away from Port Jervis on a Thursday night, but had car trouble the next day which required my car to be in the shop overnight. So Friday night I decided to stay at the Erie Hotel, which was very convenient to the repair shop.

I ate two dinners at the Erie (Thursday and Friday), both of them the largest cut (and it was large) of prime rib they had, and the food was great.

The beer was even better, as they had eight craft beers on tap as well as some good "national" brands. The back-bar was great, carved from wood, and the atmosphere was also good.

The staff and the clientele were very friendly.

Friday night I stayed at the hotel. I asked for a quiet room, but unfortunately the only one left was on the first floor, right at the front of the building, right over the door to the restaurant/bar where the patrons would congregate to smoke cigarettes and talk very loudly.

Also unfortunately (for me) it was Friday night and they had live music. While the web site talks about a kitchen closing time of 10 P.M. and the sign outside talks about a closing time of 11 P.M., the band was still playing loudly (I could feel the vibrations of the base in my pillow) at 1:30 A.M. Saturday morning. After the band finished they were playing the house music system, which was still very audible in my room, but after I went downstairs and politely complained at 2 A.M. they turned it down enough that (with earplugs) I could get to sleep.

Normally I would not have minded and would have joined in the fun (the band was actually pretty good), but I was tired, and I had asked for a quiet room, which should have clued the staff member to say "Sir, I think you might want to look some other place". I was able to sleep only four hours.

The room and bath were very clean, and the bed was comfortable but the room itself was small (as others have mentioned). I regretted having no desk of any type to put my laptop on while I read email. Yes, they had wireless. I do not know if the WiFi reached to the top floor of the hotel, but it worked fine in my room.

A good breakfast diner was one-half mile away (15 minute stroll).

Bottom line: Probably most nights the Erie would have been a great sleep for the money (half the price of my other hotel room), and having an extensive menu and great beers at the same place you are staying is also good. Particularly if they are craft beers of higher-than-normal alcohol (which they were). If I was not expecting to get up early to try and get my car "in gear" and continue my business, I probably would have loved staying up to hear the band play until 2 A.M. After all, it was a Friday night and only old cranks like me might have to get up early the next day instead of cuddling with a significant someone in a bed to a decent time of the morning.

If you are a couple and "antiquing", a night or two in the Erie would probably be right up your alley.

Room Tip: Don't get room #1. Faces street and is right over door of restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank maddoghall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bowdoinham, Maine
Reviewed 29 October 2011

The Erie Hotel is, as its name suggests, an old [1890's] railroad hotel. Three stories, rooms on 2nd and 3rd. Steep climb, but I was offered help with my bag. Stairs and halls none too clean.

The rooms and bath are small, but clean and comfortable. Cable TV, no wi-fi. Housekeeping might wish to pay some attention to detail: no light bulb in bedside lamp [replaced promptly when I asked], jar of vaseline in the medicine cabinet, a box of baking soda on the shelf.

If you're a light sleeper you may be disturbed by street noise or the sounds of a late night train. Or like me you may find a train whistle to be pleasantly nostalgic.

Downstairs is a decent restaurant, great old German carved wooden bar, and Mike is a very pleasant bartender.

Room Tip: If stair climbing is an issue, ask for 2nd rather than 3rd floor
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
#1 of 1 in Wantage
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#5 of 6 in Milford

Been to Erie Hotel? Share your experiences!