“Better than BTB”

Add it.
The Hop
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Very good basic diner. Limited menu. Food was very good; service was very friendly. There are places to sit, on the street, on the stools near the grill, and overlooking the raquette river. Today,we sat on a small balcony overlooking the river. A couple of weeks ago we sat at the counter. The burgers are as good--or better--than the hyped and expensive ones at between the buns up the street. Cannot imagine anyone would go, "wow.". But cannot imagine not saying this is a good diner. Service both times was very friendly.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I had a burger and fries . I called ahead. was ready on time with a smile. far priced. very nice little place. polite workers

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I live in another city right next to a Five Guys, so I'm actually not burger-deprived at all in my life. However, I happened to be in Potsdam for work, and I see this little burger joint hanging kind of on the corner of Market St. I walked in to a happy greeting and prompt service. I had the pleasure of watching my cook ensure my burger was well done as requested (the grill is in open view) and as I sat at the bar, the '50s diner-themed playlist certainly assured me I was in a diner.
Long story short, the bacon cheeseburger was fantastic, the waffle fries were delicious, and they were kind enough to strike up conversation as I was eating alone.
I enjoyed it!
(Post script - I went a second time with a colleague and had the burger with egg. Also does not suck.)

1  Thank Jason S
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Although The Hop is just starting off, the staff was extremely pleasant and made me feel right at home which, to me, is important in a college town. The food consisted of diner food but unlike other diners here, the food is cooked right in front of you which was neat to watch. Overall I was thrilled with The Hop - finally something late night in Potadam!

Reviewed 13 July 2013

We arrived half an hour after opening and there were three other patrons already eating at the counter. Sat at a table, quickly got our coffee and ordered. 45 minutes later the food had not been served, our coffee was never refilled and the waitress hadn't come back to the table. As I got up to inquire about our food the cook (not the waitress) was bringing it out.
The pancake was cold, but had potential if it had been warm.
The eggs were cooked well and it's hard to mess up bacon; the home fries left something to be desired as they appeared thrown together at the last second...half cooked and huge chunks of potato.
Even had to get up and go ask for put check at the end of the meal.

If you look at my other reviews I rarely leave negative feedback, I really struggled to find a redeeming quality here though. Maybe they're better at 3am.