“Great Stay in Potsdam”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Potsdam
Rochester, NY
“Great Stay in Potsdam”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is a renovated historic property - as the information on the Hotel's website explains. As such it has some of the quirks of an older building, (e.g. no elevator, so ask for a first floor room if you don't want to do stairs to the second floor), and limited by the space available so rooms are good sized but not huge. River view rooms look over the river; town view look over the parking lot and residences of the town.

Renovations have been nicely and tastefully done. The result is a really nice hotel without being over the top. Sort of a genteel place without a lot of flash and flourish. If you're wanting a pool, fitness room, etc. you may want to consider one of the franchised chains in near-by Canton. But I doubt that they beat the Clarkson for comfort, convenience, and ambience.

We had a river view, one queen bed room. (Bay window rooms are a bit larger and have two queen beds; similar in layout - we checked one out). Room was pleasant but lacked a real desk work area - other than a round table and some period chairs. Bathroom is nice but not huge and came with a nice assortment of "goodies" & really great towels. Bed was comfortable. Everything was really clean and tidy when we arrived. Staff was pleasantly friendly. Cookies and coffee available in the afternoon in the really nice lobby area!

Location is in "downtown" Potsdam offering several restaurants within walking distance. We opted for a Mexican place, (but that's another story).

Breakfast buffet is good. At $12 it's perhaps a bit pricey, (but it is a hotel breakfast which is always so) but is darn convenient on a rainy morning.

If in the area again I'd be happy to stay there again. Good value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HimselfNY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My daughter attended sunny potsdam and I lucked upon the Clarkson Inn. the rooms are something out of the NYC plaza. The beds are soft, comfortable you don't want to move.
We had breakfast n our room and it was great ! The housekeeping was great, quiet, restful, relaxing....I love this place.

Room Tip: Get there when u can it is worth the trip. Pat Taylor
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Suffield Connecticut
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We went up to Potsdam to visit Clarkson University with our son. It was off season visit for this area. This place was beautiful. It had the old inn style but convenience of a hotel. When we checked in, our room gave us a complimentary water and a few bags of chips. The room was really nice. We had a view of the river. It had a refrigerator and microwave. I love places that have a refrig because you can keep drinks in there. The bed was extremely comfortable for all of us. It was the quietest night sleep I have ever had. I truly enjoyed our stay. We planned to stay there 2 nights but due to work we had to cancel our second night stay. I was very disappointed. The woman at the desk was very helpful. She refunded us our second night stay with no problem. Very helpful staff. Lots of convenience that even some hotels do not offer. Love the vanity area (the magnifying mirror was a plus for me). They even had a weight scale in the bathroom. The robes and slippers were also a plus. Very convenient location to the colleges there in Potsdam and close to many of the restaurants. We walked to all of them.
If we were ever to come back up there, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
North Dighton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed at the Clarkson Inn the night of the Vinyl Café show at CPS... We couldn't have been more pleased with the room, the service and the location. A great value for the money. A superior boutique hotel in a small town was a wonderful surprise. Can't be beat by anything in the area if you are visiting the colleges. Thank you for making us feel welcome!!

Room Tip: Overlooking the park and river.....
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, New York
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have been staying at the Clarkson inn for 13 years periodically. The people are so welcoming and it's definitely one of the cleanest hotels I've ever been in. I've stayed at the best chains in the world and I would rate the Clarkson Inn up there with them. It's so quaint and cozy and am looking forward to them opening up the little bistro and bar.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

The rooms are a great size for your money.

Enjoy the morning breakfast. Then either go out and have an outdoor adventure, visit one of the three colleges in the area, explore a snowmobile trail, or border hop to Canada. Make sure, though, you plan to have at least one afternoon tea in the inn's lobby. Tea, crumpets, scones, and lemon squares to name a few treats.

If your checking in for a college event, be sure to reserve a room well in advance. Up to a year for some events like college graduations.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Stillwater, New York
Reviewed 9 February 2014

As a graduate from Clarkson University - I can remember staying at this hotel when first visiting the campus with my family as a junior in high school in 2002. I returned to the Clarkson Inn this past weekend while attending the Clarkson v. Union hockey game with my significant other.

I had first requested an early check in and was accommodated no problem by the staff. Was greeted by the women at the front desk and was shown our room location. Luckily we were only staying one night but for anyone who was carrying more then a couple bags or the elderly I would imagine it would be difficult to get your bags up to your room as there is no elevator only a stairwell.

Rooms are dated but very clean and quant. Service was fantastic through and through. Surprisingly it's one of the cheaper high end hotels (I use the word high end in Potsdam very lightly, there are some really sketchy spots to spend the night other then the big chain hotels and the Clarkson Inn).

I'm looking forward to spending some time next year at the Clarkson Inn when we return for our annual Clarkson hockey game.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Potsdam
Hampton Inn Potsdam
#4 of 7 in Massena
Northern Family Motel
Northern Family Motel
#5 of 5 in Potsdam

Been to Clarkson Inn? Share your experiences!