“Good Straight-Ahead Mexican”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We made a stop here for dinner after walking around the couple of "downtown" blocks checking out what was available. This seemed like a more laid back alternative, & we're happy we made the choice.

While this is not a chain restaurant, if you've eaten at a sit-down Mexican chain you'd recognize the menu. No real surprises. Just straight ahead Mexican. Tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc.

I give them high marks for execution. Significant basket of chips and really good salsa when you sit down. Entrees are well seasoned and prepared. Not exceptional, but certainly very good. Service was prompt and friendly. Decor is converted warehouse with SW decor and furnishings. A tad noisy as floor, ceiling, and walls are acoustically "hard".

A three taco appetizer was the meal for one of us. The other has pork tamales. A couple of draft beers rounded out the order. Bill was about $35 and seemed a good value. If I'm in the neighborhood again, I'd probably seriously consider going back.

1  Thank HimselfNY

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have been there numerous times, the last time again giving them another chance but coming away with the same feeling: not the best mexican in the area. We recommend Hotel Grande in Norfolk for a better experience overall. If you are college students and play with the hip crowd, then you may fit in and get treated better than us locals. We don't dare go there until colleges are on break, as it just isn't worth trying to compete for the attention of servers, or test the competence of cooks. I'd say average in fajitas and enchiladas and a bit better in chimis, although I hear they have a good bar product if that's what you're looking for. It's cold in the winter and warm in the summer, so be advised.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have been there over 6 times. I love their Fishbowl margaritas, but I am not a fan of their food! Even the "salsa" which is actually pico de gala...and I find menu items Very pricey!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I love going to the Cactus Grill! It is always so much fun! The food is easy going and good, love the salsa, so delish. It can be a bit noisy as it's in the old water treatment plant, but what a cool building! Love the quesidillas!

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Service-great!
Food-:(
Drinks- great- try the Cosmorita
Table red- good

Fajitas- bland- the tortilla was like raw- sent it back- still inedible
Gave you 1/2 cup of sour cream- four shrimp with the tails $15.95
Would not order that again- came out on a non sizzling cast iron platter
Beef taco- good
Enchilada-good
Choke relleno-too much sugar!! Sweet and not good.
Salsa- no flavor go back to the drawing board
Sangria- wine with a slice of lemon- a slice if Lind & a slice of orange?!?!? Really? Very sour
Dinner for 2 with tax & tip- $72
Not worth it- won't be back