“Gourmet under the Walkway Over the Hudson”

CRAVE Restaurant and Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
CRAVE Restaurant and Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 278 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2014

On the Poughkeepsie side of the Walkway Over the Hudson, you will find Crave in a fairly modest house, just at the bottom of the stairway accessing the walkway. It is intimate, with a decor that features mostly modern natural materials. They have some amusing drinks, such as a gingerbeer with fig flavored vodka served in a coppery cup or a blood orange, vodka and soda drink that was rich and fruity. They offer a good assortment of bourbons and scotches as well as wines by the glass, half-bottle or bottle, ranging widely in price.
There are quite a few small dishes and the option to order half-size portions. We ordered a half dozen cold smoked oysters that were barely warmed and had a rich, creamy flavor and texture ($15). The octopus was grilled quickly, so the outside was seared and the inside was tender. It was dusted with a spicy rub and served on a bed of "potato chip puree" which somehow works and balances the rub ($17). The duck was not offered as a half dish, so my husband and I shared it ($28). The waitress was gracious enough to plate it for two without being asked. It was cooked to perfection and very tender but my husband felt the honey flavoring dominated and there was not enough savory to balance it. The assorted baby vegetables were gently cooked, so there was still some crunch. Overall, we thought the prices were a little high but the food was very good and the service attentive enough without being intrusive. When asked, the waitress told us most of the staff trained at the nearly CIA.

1  Thank MarinaMay

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We've been hearing good things about restaurants in Poughkeepsie but never really had a proper meal at one. To top it off, we've been going to the Walkway over the Hudson for the last few years.

Today we decided to combine a brunch and a walk and thank goodness we picked Crave!

So first impression - the restaurant is dark but we asked if we can sit by 2 of the window tables. The menu presented was relatively small in choices but diverse.

I started with the spicy Bloody Mary (I don't remember what they called it). An awesome rendition of the drink.

For the main, I had the steak and eggs - probably the best steak and eggs I've ever had. When I saw "vinaigrette" on the menu, I wasn't sure what to make of it. But it sure did match well - homemade, not out of a bottle, sprinkled on the grilled, sliced flank steak. There was a mix of fingerling potates (purple and from what I can tell yukon gold), along with another root vegetable, and fiddleheads (a treat, imo).

We were pleasantly full but had to try the sorbet from the dessert menu - passion fruit with cayenne, mixed berries, and I think the last one was pear. Absolutely incredible way to end the meal. As full as we were, my wife and son were tempted to lick the sorbet plate it was so good.

Brunch is a bit of a treat for me, and of all the places I've had brunch globally, Crave's is up there on the list.

I will return. And will like to try their dinner.

1  Thank vkc1221
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We ate at Crave Restaurant after walking across the Hudson River on the Walkway Over the Hudson (see my review on this!). Our friends recommended Crave. We loved it! The food was really excellent. Of course, with the Culinary Institute of America nearby, some of their food preparation was done by graduates of this esteemed school. Fantastic! Highly recommend it. Look at their website for prices. One nice thing is that you can be in jeans or just have walked over the Walkway, but you will fit right in with people who might be celebrating a special occasion. I remember loving the sink in the Ladies Room...oh the things we remember!!!!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Don't be fooled by the exterior and the surroundings. Inside is a real gem of a restaurant, popular with locals, and likely to be discovered by more and more visitors to the Walkway over the Hudson. The food is exceptional as is the service. It is a small, intimate space, so reservations are a must.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

This small restaurant is a gem. Creative menu as well as excellent preparation and presentation are the norm. We have never had anything at Crave that wasn't top notch. Wait staff os great, too. Helpful and attentive without being overbearing. The only negative is that the tables near the entrance can be quite cold in the winter.