“Best of Poughkeepsie; large, comfortable rooms; OK bkfst; great river views, OK location”

Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Stayed here for three nights in a "suite" room on the back of the building overlooking the river. Very quiet and great views of herons, ducks, geese, egret, etc. No dining on site x/c minimal "continental" bkfst w/waffle maker, DIY oatmeal, pastries, yogurt, regular milk only, etc. No pool.

Front desk staff was generally helpful and friendly x/c when they enthusiastically recommended a restaurant downtown in a really "not so good/marginal" area which had been closed during the week all summer.

No really close good restaurants, but many OK ones w/in 2 to 4 miles. The location is great for Vassar, and good for exploring the Hudson Valley, but it requires 10 - 20 miles of driving to reach most of the really interesting sites.

Rooms were very large, and in good condition w/microwave, one cup coffee maker, refrigerator, etc. One broken screen on windows. Two flat screen TVs w/many channels. One of the best values in the Hudson Valley.

Room Tip: Rooms on river side are quieter with great views. Suites are large and in good condition.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We were pleased with our accomodations at the Inn at the Falls, especially after receiving a surprise upgrade to a suite that included a sitting room with sofa; jacuzzi, king bed and water view.

The staff was very helpful; we were served cool drinks at the bar upon arrival and enjoyed the sunlight streaming in the floor to high ceiling windows. (Unfortunately, these windows needed a good cleaning!!) The front desk staff also provided directions to local attractions.

Breakfast was provided in the comfortable sitting area; many people also chose to enjoy the good weather on the outside deck overlooking the stream.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NjCosmicTraveller
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I booked this hotel at a very cheap rate on Priceline, and I was not expecting all that much. But it really exceeded my expectations. There were cookies out in the great room when I checked in (although no one told me this, I just happened to see them around the corner). The rooms are nice, spacious enough, and well decorated. But the common areas of the hotel are beautiful. There is a common living room with a fireplace, couches, and a coffee table, as well as a few smaller tables with chairs for eating, etc. This room has lots of windows looking out onto a river with a small falls. There is also a patio with tables and lighting (and I think citronella candles). The lobby has a small bar with wine and beer. I did not use it because no one was ever there behind the bar, and I never saw any other guests using it. I used the fitness center, and it is small, but the equipment is very nice. No one was there at the same time as me, so I had no trouble getting on whatever I wanted. This is one of the few affordable options in Poughkeepsie that had more than a view of a highway, as far as I could tell. It is close to Vassar, easily accessible to the rest of Poughkeepsie, and even the FDR library (which I was there to use) was only about 15 minutes away. The other reviews are right that the breakfast is modest, but a waffle maker is really all I need. (A note to the hotel: you could improve your coffee quality a little bit, but I appreciate the free coffee and juice options nonetheless). I would stay here again without a doubt. It is obvious that the hotel was recently remodeled. There aren't that many chain hotels available that feel this cozy and unique. The staff was friendly, but I might suggest that the hotel does a better job of promoting some its existent features (cookies, bar). I might not have even known they were there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Me and my wife recently stayed at the Best Western in Poughkeepsie N.Y and let me tell you it was such an excellent experience our room was clean and comfortable. The general manager Rachel could not have been nicer! She helped find us the perfect restaurant and really made our stay one we won't soon forget! They offer a complimentary breakfast in a lovely room over looking the falls. It was nice to go somewhere "off the beaten path" if you will it is a chain hotel with a bed and breakfast feel to it. I highly recommend the hotel if you are ever in the area!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Orange, California
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We chose this hotel because we were visiting Vassar the next day. We arrived late in the evening, but the young man at the desk was very welcoming. The lobby area was clean and nice, and it had a pretty, wide staircase.

Our 2 queen bed room was large and decorated quite nicely, to my surprise. It was very quiet and we slept very well. We were up early the next morning for a quick breakfast before leaving. I will agree with previous reviewers about the selection being sparse, but as we were eating on the go it was no big deal to just grab a yogurt.

I wanted to make iced tea in my reusable cup to go, and the friendly girl at the front desk was very accomodating with ice and such.

If my daughter were to eventually attend Vassar, I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank oyyveyy
rachel d, General Manager at Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us a great review! We wish your daughter good luck with her plans to attend Vassar. We would love to have you stay here with us again. I have passed along your kind words to the staff. If she is accepted we have new breakfast offerings for you to look forward to.

Best Regards,
Rachel
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The beds were awesome and the air conditioner was very quiet and efficient. While they didn't have the greatest of selections for breakfast, it was sufficient and the breakfast room was spacious, comfortable, and had a nice scenic view. The free coffee and cookies at check-in were delicious and much appreciated. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank skrapd
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I nabbed this hotel on a Priceline bid for $75 for one night while in town on a business trip. It is definitely off the beaten path, which I found to be quite nice. Set back midst the trees, I found it to be a nice, atypical spot.

The front desk staff was very nice and very friendly, and did everything to assure that I was taken care of. My room was large and spacious and comfortable. It was very clean and well-appointed. I agree with one other reviewer that the pillows were the bigger, foamy kind and I didn't like them, but not a deal breaker by any means. The bathroom was a bit dated, maybe, though it was very large since I was given the accessible bathroom (I didn't request it).

As others have mentioned, the complimentary breakfast was probably my only real issue with this place. I mean, come on, I have had much, much better at hotels of equal quality and an equal star level. I found plenty to eat since I am on a healthy living diet (yogurt, fruit, oatmeal). But the breakfast could be much better. Again, not necessarily a deal breaker, but if I were to find another hotel at the same star level and quality for the same price, I would likely stay there if the breakfast was better. But again, I can live with this, especially for the great rate that I got.

Overall, I was very pleased with this hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank andtherest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay! Breakfast is an important part of our guest's stay and we are taking steps towards a major imrovement. In the future we will be offering a hot breakfast on the weekends. Currently our complimentary continental breakfast includes a hot waffle station, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, breakfast danishes and pastries, bagels, muffins, english muffins, wheat/white bread, cold cereals, oatmeal, breakfast sandwiches with an egg and meat, OJ, cranberry, coffee, tea decaf. We will be enhancing it to include more hudson valley produce and our chef will be preparing a number of homemade goodies. Keep a look out for these changes!!

Best Regards,