“Motel ok, Bad Location”

Days Inn Poughkeepsie
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I don't expect a lot from a motel and this met my low expectations. This motel is near colleges and the outside noise makes it hard to sleep. We heard sirens the first night and young guests slamming their doors until at least 2 am. The room was not very clean & the bathroom is very small. Housekeeping did a decent job cleaning the room and arranged my son's stuffed animals in a cute way on the bed. It was not possible to turn down the heat at all, so it was a little too hot at night for sleeping. Overall ok, but I will not be staying at another motel again and probably not at another Days Inn.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
RupsonHospitality, Manager at Days Inn Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for your thoughts on your recent stay.

We are located very close to Vassar College which is a big benefit to guests visiting the campus. We are sorry that you thought this was a negative about our property.

Please let us apologize for the road noise that you heard you first night. Although we are located on a 3 lane road that serves as a main route through the town. The speed limit is only 30mph and there is not much traffic during night hours.

We are glad that our housekeeping staff was efficient and did a thorough job in your room. We do hope that you choose to stay with us as well as other Days Inn Hotels in the future.
Thank you.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Darron was VERY helpful and I truly appreciated all he did to make the stay possible. My kids stayed with you and for a group of teenage boys to tell me the room smelled like urine made me sad. Oh well, they were safe and I didn't need to worry about them. I truly appreciate people like Darron - I hope this meassage is shared with him!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

We are so happy that Darron was able to help you with your reservation and your son’s stay! He has a wonderful personality and is always looking for ways to make our guests stay a memorable one!

Thank you!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed one Saturday night at this Day's Inn, traveling on business. The property is situation on a one-way avenue (eastbound) on the eastern edge of Poughkeepsie. I was there on the weekend but it doesn't seem like a particularly high-traffic or high-speed road, so that combined with the good motel signage makes it easy to find.

There was plenty of parking on arrival. The lobby is clean and up-to-date, with a medium-sized breakfast area off to the side. There was no line and I was checked-in quickly. I was given a first-floor room with a single king-size bed. It was sort of an odd room in that it had a wide bay window looking out at ground level at the scenic array of parked cars. I've no idea what the architects were thinking.

The room had a fridge, a microwave, and a coffeemaker, as well as an iron and ironing board and some extra linens in the closet. The bathroom was clean but on the small side. This room was in a configuration where the bathroom sinks were outside of the bathroom itself. I used all of the furnishings except for the microwave and everything worked. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows and I slept well.

The “continental” breakfast consisted of the usual muffins and fruit and coffee & yogurt &etc. You're all familiar with the deal. The standout at this breakfast was the presence of a waffle-maker. There was a machine to the side of it that dispensed the batter into a cup, which you in turn emptied onto the surface of the waffle-gadget. 2 minutes later, you were the proud owner of a hot waffle. You can only make one at a time but that morning anyway there was no contention for the griddle and I made off with two waffles in short order. The seating area is on the small side but on a Sunday morning it was at most half full.

The one anomaly with my stay was that the room (200) was really noisy. From the moment I entered there was banging and thumping to be heard all around. It seemed to be coming mostly from the ceiling and I thought it was dripping water, but then decided it was thumping water(?) pipes. It seemed that I could hear a washer/dryer faintly, so there may have been a laundry room adjacent, I didn't investigate. I wore earplugs and slept just fine, but I can easily imagine being driven nuts by the noise or being kept up all night by it.

There aren't many places to eat within walking distance, so you'll probably have to drive into town. There's a pizza place nearby and a slightly questionable-looking pub across the street. I chose to walk to an Irish pub a few blocks away and was happy with the food/drink there – see my review of the Dubliner pub here on TA.

Overall it was a pretty neutral experience. The room noise was a negative, the breakfast a positive, and the place was, apart from the room, quiet. The property seems to be well-kept and is in a good location if you're not looking for a lot of amenities right outside the door. Being a business trip, I didn't pay the bill but I believe that after taxes were rolled it came to almost $150 for that night, which seems very high to me. It wasn't as if I was in a swank suite with faucets of gold, it was just an ordinary room. But I also have no idea of area room prices and for all I know this may have been quite competitively-priced.

Room Tip: If you're noise sensitive, avoid room 200 and possibly nearby rooms as well.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the review! We truly appreciate when our guests go into such great detail about their experiences and thoughts of their stay! It sounds like you stayed in our new suite! We renovated an old office into a larger suite room. This room offers a King bed as well as a pull out couch.

We are so glad that you enjoyed the Carbon’s Golden Malted Waffle station! It is easy and quick as mentioned and most of our guests do love it!

We are sorry that you heard a noise of water pipes while in the room. We have found out what the problem is and it is being fixed. We are so sorry that this was not taken care of before your stay!

Thank you so much for staying with us! We hope to host you again on any future business trips to Poughkeepsie!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 November 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 30 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
RupsonHospitality, Manager at Days Inn Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013