“Clean, Friendly, and Convenient to Vassar”

Days Inn Poughkeepsie
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Illinois
“Clean, Friendly, and Convenient to Vassar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised by the two-day stay I had here with my daughter, checking out the college, and found the daytime staff exceptionally helpful (also with directions around the area). We chose the hotel mostly for the location, a 4-min. drive to Vassar campus, and the price, but found that the amenities (clean, rather large pool, room with fridge & microwave, etc.) and also the breakfast were better than we expected compared both to some reviews and also to Days Inn properties we've stayed in elsewhere. Based on comments in previous reviews, I paid $10 a night upgrade for the "business" room in the main building (rather than taking the cheapest rooms in the motel structures surrounding the middle building). We were glad we did, as parking was still convenient and we found the room (2 double beds) quite large, clean, and comfortable, with free telephone calls also outside the area. An alert: the property has no elevator, and so although I had for the sake of my "bad knees" requested a second floor room, I ended up staying on the first floor quite near the lobby, across from the ice machine that made noise whenever used. But the receiving staff attempted to keep things quiet (turning the volume on the lobby tv off without my asking) and we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the place (esp. the main building) to anyone valuing an well affordable, clean, quiet, friendly place near the Vassar campus over a fancier hotel a longer drive away.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for a main floor room, preferably away from the lobby, if you do not wish to or cann...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
RupsonHospitality, Manager at Days Inn Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for the great review! We are so glad that you choose to stay with us while visiting Vassar College. It is so great to hear that you found our rooms “affordable, clean, quiet, friendly place!” We look forward to hosting you again if your student chooses to enroll in Vassar or when in the Poughkeepsie are!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Boonton, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

This hotel is in a college town, so you would think it was half way decent especially at their rates.

Our family travels quite a bit, and my husband and I business travel as well. I've stayed in rooms that appear to be in horror movies that are better than this one!
My husband made the reservation, however did not realize our room was an outside room two doors in from the street. It didn't seem like a nice section of town at all.
When we arrived the staff was not pleasant at all. I was taken back a little bit, but we proceeded to our room. To our surprise it was old, smelly, mold in the bathroom shower, and felt unclean. My children were uncomfortable and didn't want to stay. I went back to the front desk and I received no apologies, additional accommodations, referrals to the next closest hotel etc. I found a hotel close by and informed the front desk I couldn't stay, just then a man walked in asking for a room and the desk man said" I have one that just became available"and booked out our room. Meanwhile the other desk man handling my checkout (if you call it that) told me no refunds, and no apologies again. They could care less!!!!! My husband spoke to the manager when we arrived home and again no apologies, credits etc. They love to charge but don't like to deliver! I saw another unhappy review and they give the same line of crap, it's like they read from a script because they have issues regularly. Due to this experience I will never stay at a Days Inn again.
When I arrived at the hotel I booked after leaving this location, I was informed that there was another Days Inn not far from this one. What service. Terrible terrible Don't stay here!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your room upon check in and did not stay with us. Please call me at your convenience so we can discuss your situation and we can issue a refund.

Linda
845-4541010

Travellers are raving about these Poughkeepsie hotels

Webster, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I don't expect a lot from a motel and this met my low expectations. This motel is near colleges and the outside noise makes it hard to sleep. We heard sirens the first night and young guests slamming their doors until at least 2 am. The room was not very clean & the bathroom is very small. Housekeeping did a decent job cleaning the room and arranged my son's stuffed animals in a cute way on the bed. It was not possible to turn down the heat at all, so it was a little too hot at night for sleeping. Overall ok, but I will not be staying at another motel again and probably not at another Days Inn.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
RupsonHospitality, Manager at Days Inn Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you for your thoughts on your recent stay.

We are located very close to Vassar College which is a big benefit to guests visiting the campus. We are sorry that you thought this was a negative about our property.

Please let us apologize for the road noise that you heard you first night. Although we are located on a 3 lane road that serves as a main route through the town. The speed limit is only 30mph and there is not much traffic during night hours.

We are glad that our housekeeping staff was efficient and did a thorough job in your room. We do hope that you choose to stay with us as well as other Days Inn Hotels in the future.
Thank you.
Croghan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Darron was VERY helpful and I truly appreciated all he did to make the stay possible. My kids stayed with you and for a group of teenage boys to tell me the room smelled like urine made me sad. Oh well, they were safe and I didn't need to worry about them. I truly appreciate people like Darron - I hope this meassage is shared with him!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

We are so happy that Darron was able to help you with your reservation and your son’s stay! He has a wonderful personality and is always looking for ways to make our guests stay a memorable one!

Thank you!
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed one Saturday night at this Day's Inn, traveling on business. The property is situation on a one-way avenue (eastbound) on the eastern edge of Poughkeepsie. I was there on the weekend but it doesn't seem like a particularly high-traffic or high-speed road, so that combined with the good motel signage makes it easy to find.

There was plenty of parking on arrival. The lobby is clean and up-to-date, with a medium-sized breakfast area off to the side. There was no line and I was checked-in quickly. I was given a first-floor room with a single king-size bed. It was sort of an odd room in that it had a wide bay window looking out at ground level at the scenic array of parked cars. I've no idea what the architects were thinking.

The room had a fridge, a microwave, and a coffeemaker, as well as an iron and ironing board and some extra linens in the closet. The bathroom was clean but on the small side. This room was in a configuration where the bathroom sinks were outside of the bathroom itself. I used all of the furnishings except for the microwave and everything worked. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows and I slept well.

The “continental” breakfast consisted of the usual muffins and fruit and coffee & yogurt &etc. You're all familiar with the deal. The standout at this breakfast was the presence of a waffle-maker. There was a machine to the side of it that dispensed the batter into a cup, which you in turn emptied onto the surface of the waffle-gadget. 2 minutes later, you were the proud owner of a hot waffle. You can only make one at a time but that morning anyway there was no contention for the griddle and I made off with two waffles in short order. The seating area is on the small side but on a Sunday morning it was at most half full.

The one anomaly with my stay was that the room (200) was really noisy. From the moment I entered there was banging and thumping to be heard all around. It seemed to be coming mostly from the ceiling and I thought it was dripping water, but then decided it was thumping water(?) pipes. It seemed that I could hear a washer/dryer faintly, so there may have been a laundry room adjacent, I didn't investigate. I wore earplugs and slept just fine, but I can easily imagine being driven nuts by the noise or being kept up all night by it.

There aren't many places to eat within walking distance, so you'll probably have to drive into town. There's a pizza place nearby and a slightly questionable-looking pub across the street. I chose to walk to an Irish pub a few blocks away and was happy with the food/drink there – see my review of the Dubliner pub here on TA.

Overall it was a pretty neutral experience. The room noise was a negative, the breakfast a positive, and the place was, apart from the room, quiet. The property seems to be well-kept and is in a good location if you're not looking for a lot of amenities right outside the door. Being a business trip, I didn't pay the bill but I believe that after taxes were rolled it came to almost $150 for that night, which seems very high to me. It wasn't as if I was in a swank suite with faucets of gold, it was just an ordinary room. But I also have no idea of area room prices and for all I know this may have been quite competitively-priced.

Room Tip: If you're noise sensitive, avoid room 200 and possibly nearby rooms as well.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the review! We truly appreciate when our guests go into such great detail about their experiences and thoughts of their stay! It sounds like you stayed in our new suite! We renovated an old office into a larger suite room. This room offers a King bed as well as a pull out couch.

We are so glad that you enjoyed the Carbon’s Golden Malted Waffle station! It is easy and quick as mentioned and most of our guests do love it!

We are sorry that you heard a noise of water pipes while in the room. We have found out what the problem is and it is being fixed. We are so sorry that this was not taken care of before your stay!

Thank you so much for staying with us! We hope to host you again on any future business trips to Poughkeepsie!