“Could've Been Good”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This was our second time at Le Express, the first was very good, very impressed and happy to have found a local good restaurant that had a thoughtful menu with quality. This last visit was awfully disappointing. Both steaks which we had had already were ordered medium, one came back medium rare at best and other was seared, raw & cold inside. Probably my first sending a dish back, but we had to- was just too rare. No apologies just a 'we'll just put it back in broiler for a few minutes'. Fine. Comes back and we ordered some wine which never came, finished most of steaks which had come back medium and just decided to call it a night. Ruined the meal.
The waitress was overwhelmed even though from what I can see she only had 3 other tables. Another waitress early on noticed we were never bought bread and did it. In the end the waitress never came back, another came by and asked how was everything and we decided to tell her to tell waitress to cancel wine and just have waitress bring us the check. She never did, the other waitress did. Its bad service as it gets. It pained me to tip her 15% but I did. We did overhear a waitress telling another table when asked where the owner was that he had left. It unfortunately made sense on the bad service, sadly.
In the end the food is good if you don;t have an experience like we just had. Unfortunately the waitress has been there for quite a while because I recognized her from our last visit which was a long time ago. So there was no excuse for the bad service, she should have learned by now and the theory of having a bad day is inexcusable, you apologize and then give extra attention for the mistakes, you don't keep making mistakes.
To the owner if he does bother to see reviews on his business: address these issues with your staff. Have a replacement for when you're not there. And have your chef be more careful with is work, 2 steaks that off is not a fluke and no I'm not being critical. The steaks were extremely rare. You have a good product here, don't ruin it like most others do or you will not last.

1  Thank phil S

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Went there with my Wife. At first it was nice the owner came over and greeted us when we sat down. Waiter came and took our order for Apps, Main Course and Wine Bottle Service.
Wine came quick served by the owner. Food.. That's a whold other story. At least 5 other groups came in about 20 minutes after us and they were on their main courses while we still were waiting for our appetizer. The waiter forgot to put our order in. Took almost an hour before our Apps came. Then my wife and I both ordered the osso bucco. Why did the waiter think we ordered one to share? They brought one out and he was confused and nervous. Told him to take it easy and said just bring me a steak mediam rare as it was a lot quicker to make then wait for another osso bucco. And of course being the spineless frenchman the owner is he never once came out to speak to us when we asked for him. The food was really good but for the price and service not worth it. Would rather drive to Manahattan for a great meal than step foot in this place again.

2  Thank MarkoPoloNYC
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I was worried when my friend wanted to eat here for dinner; French restaurants aren't the best choice when you can't have dairy or soy. I spoke with the manager the day before our scheduled dinner, and he assured me they could make a steak and side dishes without dairy or soy.

We found the restaurant in a little strip mall a bit off the beaten path. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it's really charming. The place has been redone, the bar area is a nice place to grab a drink, and the bathrooms are lovely and spotless.

I brought my 1 year old daughter - they do have a couple high chairs, but I don't know that I would really classify this as a family restaurant. We had an early reservation and left when it was starting to get busy and she was getting tired. If your children don't like to sit still, or are still in the shrieking, throwing peas stage, then this isn't the place to take them. (Not to judge, kids will be kids, but they should be kids elsewhere :)

My meal was DELICIOUS. One of the best steaks I've ever had, and the potatoes and green beans were cooked perfectly. I didn't even miss the butter. My dining companions had a burger and the duck, and everyone was completely happy and satisfied. The guys ordered nutella-stuffed crepes for desert. I was a bit jealous, but you learn to do without desert when you have a dairy allergy.

The service was fantastic and there's a good wine and beer life.

I think this place is an absolute gem and wonderful addition to the area.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We invited our friends, they had never been there. They loved it and promised to return.
We had escargots (Good, but I would have liked more garlic). Entrees were great, from the short ribs to the Mahi Mahi, to the Merguez!
The decor is great and the service excellent!
We will be back!

2  Thank Heron5
Reviewed 19 January 2013

My wife and I just enjoyed a wonderful, intimate meal at this restaurant. The owner John and his staff were warmly welcoming and genuinely strove to make our dinner special. The fresh local ingredients, wonderful fresh seasoning and perfect execution of all our dishes were a rare treat next to other restaurants here in the Hudson Valley. The smoked trout was tasty and fresh, the garnishes enhanced the flavor without overwhelming the delicate fish. The french onion soup was not a typical beef broth based one, the Vidalia onions, perfectly reduced, carried the flavor of the soup, sweet and tasty with excellent cheeses and a crouton that actually survived firm and crunchy. Our middle course of Portugese Octopus was the best execution I've ever enjoyed. My short rib entree was extremely well prepared; the fresh herb seasonings, vegetables and sauce complimented the tender meat to perfection. My wife's Swordfish was uniquely prepared and again perfectly cooked, seasoned and blended with farm fresh fingerling potatoes and other flavorful herbs and vegetables. Truly an exceptional restaurant I most highly recommend. Very reasonably priced too. We look forward to many more meals at this special place-most especially to try the many other dishes on the menu that made our choices so difficult. Thank you John and your staff as well for taking such wonderful care of us and for serving us such an awesome meal! We'll see you again very soon.