“Pleasant - Quiet”

Vassar Alumnae House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Poughkeepsie
Vassar Alumnae House
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Stayed here for a nearby wedding. Loved the common library. Good coffee down the hall. Bathroom needs soap dishes near sink and in shower. Nice short walk to local coffee shop for breakfast (included). Vassar campus is down the road a bit. Had a walk in closet with two double beds for four of us. Worked out fine. Wireless worked fine. If you have time, visit the art museum on campus - amazing!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Beautiful historic building on the hill overlooking Vassar College. Well furnished rooms with great common rooms. My daughter and I easily shared a queen sized bed in a room with a bathroom.The rate includes breakfast at one of two restaurants a few steps away.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank oldermomma
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We stayed here the night before a college tour. It was the perfect place for this. It is a historic building and I was able to get two very small dorm like rooms for my teenager and myself. There was a bathroom in the hall. Given a week of traveling and sharing hotel rooms this was a welcome and economical way to get some privacy. The rooms have single beds pushed against the wall and, while quite small, at $89/night each (including breakfast down the street) they were just what I expected. If I were visiting Vassar, I would definately stay here again. Given that the other choices in Poughkeepsie are pretty pedestrian, I thought this was a find. It was clean, well-appointed and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 05NW
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Somehow, this place is almost always full. I'm not really a fan because everything in the hotel has been donated from Vassar graduates... so the furniture in the rooms is mismatched. And not the most comfortable. I recall the elevator either not working or not accessible to the part of the building we were living in. We had really heavy bags so that was a bummer! I guess if you're into that spend more money to go to a quaint place rather than Hampton Inn or Courtyard then sure...

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank goldspot9
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My daughter and I were on a college visit to Vassar and arrived at the college late on a Monday evening. While the town around the college was quite dead (what town?), the Alumnae House was lovely and worth the stay. It has a lovely view and beautiful antiques. The rooms were nicely appointed with comfy beds and a very comfy chair, NO TV (yay!), and a retro bathroom that was very modern...the shower was great! Reasonably priced and a nice continental breakfast is included.

If we ever come back to the Hudson Valley area, this is where we will stay!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank aprilinlondon1970
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Hi --

As an alum, I would just like to say that the "dorm rooms" were originally built with the intention of college students who wanted to get away from the dorm and study/rest a bit. That, or for Yale guys who visited VC for the weekend. They are meant to be simple and well priced... I think they were about $25.00 when I was there.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank UESGal_9
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Vassar is a beautiful college with old historical buildings - The Alumnae House is absolutely beautiful.
We booked a "dorm room" because it was the only option and we were quite surprised to see the room also - as "hanleyster"stated. His description is very adequate - although I will add that it is not horrible. If you are just sleeping and are happy to save a little money (only 65.00 a night ) than why not? You do have to share bathrooms - there are about 3-4 bathrooms on the floor with showers and stalls. We were able to move after the 1st night to a private room - it was very very nice. Even though we did not see anyone else using the shared bathrooms I still preferred to have my own bathroom. I could have gotten used to the tiny dorm room but not sharing a shower. There are no tv's in the rooms but there are cozy living rooms with tvs. There is also a library that you can sit in. Breakfast is included - a good basic continental breakfast. For some reason they just can't cook scrambled eggs - they were a big hard cake of stuck together eggs - the most horrible scrambled eggs I have ever tasted. But that was the only negative thing.

Peaceful, quiet, beautiful - you become part of a different age while you are there.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business