“Re The Dorm Rooms”

Vassar Alumnae House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Poughkeepsie
Vassar Alumnae House
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Hi --

As an alum, I would just like to say that the "dorm rooms" were originally built with the intention of college students who wanted to get away from the dorm and study/rest a bit. That, or for Yale guys who visited VC for the weekend. They are meant to be simple and well priced... I think they were about $25.00 when I was there.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank UESGal_9

Reviewed 18 July 2008

Vassar is a beautiful college with old historical buildings - The Alumnae House is absolutely beautiful.
We booked a "dorm room" because it was the only option and we were quite surprised to see the room also - as "hanleyster"stated. His description is very adequate - although I will add that it is not horrible. If you are just sleeping and are happy to save a little money (only 65.00 a night ) than why not? You do have to share bathrooms - there are about 3-4 bathrooms on the floor with showers and stalls. We were able to move after the 1st night to a private room - it was very very nice. Even though we did not see anyone else using the shared bathrooms I still preferred to have my own bathroom. I could have gotten used to the tiny dorm room but not sharing a shower. There are no tv's in the rooms but there are cozy living rooms with tvs. There is also a library that you can sit in. Breakfast is included - a good basic continental breakfast. For some reason they just can't cook scrambled eggs - they were a big hard cake of stuck together eggs - the most horrible scrambled eggs I have ever tasted. But that was the only negative thing.

Peaceful, quiet, beautiful - you become part of a different age while you are there.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2008

then you would LOVE the dorm style rooms of this hotel. OK, so everyone is right about the fact that is is a really "cool" old historic place to visit. It looks like it was lifted up from some old town in the UK and plopped in Poughkeepsie. I am sure the normal (expensive) rooms are fine, but dont, i stress DO NOT book the "dorm style rooms". The only thing they mention about these rooms is that you share a hallway bathroom. I was just in college not too long ago, so this was not a major deturrent. I figured that since the price was only 60$ a night compared to 150 for the real room, id gladly pay half as much and deal with the shared bathroom. I can't tell you how shocked I was when I unlocked the room and walked in. It was like something out of National Lampoon's European Vacation. The room seriously was probably about 6 x 8 and the entire ceiling was at a 45 degree angle. It was like being inside a traditional triangle chuck of cheese. The room had 2 children size beds and a light. thats it. My girlfriend did not find it amusing, but I did. THank God we were just sleeping there and then getting up early and going out. I would rather stay at a home for the mentally disturbed. I wish I had taken pictures, to try and save future travelers the terror. Yes, everything was clean, yes it was only 60$, but I have paid 60$ thru hotwire for a 4 star hotel in downtown montreal!!!!!! rooms that you could roller skate in and have balconeys overlooking a beautiful city witha pool on the roof! Well, anyways, my main point, is DONT GET THE DORM STYLE ROOM.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hanleyster
Reviewed 4 October 2007

What a great place! It is an historic building and the bedrooms and public rooms ooze history. Comfortable beds, all amenities provided (although no TV, which didn't bother us but may not suit some), wi-fi, quite location, great buffet breakfast. We were recommended to try a local restaurant (Beach Tree Grill) which was fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Carole G
Reviewed 4 February 2007

The Vassar Alumnae House -now open to the public, by reservatioin- is a great architectural example from the 1920s, with many original features (including lighting, window treatments, hardware on doors, floors, and wall panelling).

The rooms have homey furnishishings, the baths are well-equipped, and location is quiet. But it is the architectural features that are so unusually nice: this includes a panelled library, with floor lamps, and many back issues of the Vassar College year-books; impressive dining room; grand living room with colored ceiling panels; and terrifc windows, throughout.

The pub, located within the House but run by a spearate company, is also very good -- tasty food, good service, well-appointed dining tables, and reasonablly priced, too.

Vassar Alumane House is a great choice for this area !

• Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank triptraveller
Reviewed 24 September 2006

We found ourselves in Poughkeepsie and needed two rooms for the night. Unluckily all hotels were fully booked so I checked "www.tripadvisor.com" in hope for a room. Thanks to a fellow tripadvisor member who posted his comment a few days ago we learned about this -I guess otherwise hard to find- hotel.

It's probably difficult to approriately bring across my satisfaction but I will try it anyway: it was one of the nicest and most charming places i have ever stayed in - and I am travelling quite a lot. This is the kind of hotel we are all looking for! A very special building (old masion) in which everything is original and very well maintained and at a price which is far lower than even the Holiday Inn around the corner would charge.

I can recommend this hotel to everyone even though it is probably too nice for business travellers such as myself. It rather deserves newly weds or at least couples looking for a romantic getaway.

P.S. Something I liked in particular as a European was that all prices included taxes so that you get the full picture even if you are not familiar this the actual tax rates.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
8  Thank Christian_Reiner
Reviewed 14 September 2006

I had no idea that Vassar had accomodations available to the public. I found out by reading their web site.

The "House" is a converted mansion adjacent to the beautiful Vassar campus. The price was very reasonable, although the rooms are quite basic (no TV). Making up for the sparce rooms, is the beautiful sitting room/library and majestic common room.

The bathroom was renovated and we were supplied with high quality toiletries. A continental breakfast is offered for a nominal price ($6). It was ample.

The Hall is a nice alternative to a chain hotel. It's location in the Hudson Valley is ideal if you are visiting the CIA , FDR house etc. There are also plenty of good restaurants nearby- we especially liked our meal at Bone Fish on Route 9.

• Stayed: September 2006