“Reasonable for an inexpensive hotel”

Red Roof PLUS Poughkeepsie
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed in a non-smoking room, king sized bed on the first floor for 3 nights. The room was very large, easily could have fit two kings. The mattress was firm and had very warm blankets. The heater worked extremely well, but there was a slight odor when I first turned it on. From what I could tell, the room had always been non-smoking.
There was a mini-fridge, however it was set to freeze everything. There is a microwave in the lobby however, so that was not a problem.
The room was clean, and the staff did a nice job of putting the room back in order every day.
A few negatives about the room- One was a small thing; the hotel only provided shampoo and not conditioner. The second, a much larger issue, is noise.
While the halls are quiet and the staff is quick to respond to noisy people in the halls/common areas, I ended up awake half the night because I could hear the ceiling creaking as the people above me walked around their room.
If you're going to stay at this hotel, a second floor room is a must- but then you'll have to use the stairs because there is no elevator.

The breakfast is standard fair- plain bagels, two kinds of cereal, and some mini-muffins. The juice machine was functional although the juices were rather off color from what I expect orange or apple juice to look like. The toaster was too enthusiastic, and had to be watched constantly or the bagel would burn. There is no sign posted to this effect.

The staff wasn't overly friendly, but did everything I'd expect. I had no problem checking in late, 9pm.

The hotel is in a very good location- it's about 5 minutes drive from the local mall and maybe 15 to downtown. I was easily able to drive around to Poughkeepsie and New Paltz without stressing out about the drive 'home'. The only thing I'd mention is from Route 9 it looks like there is only one entrance to the hotel (which is off of a one way street), but if you go around the other hotel and restaurant in the same plaza then you come out to an exit which goes out to a light, allowing you can turn in either direction.

For an inexpensive hotel, it met my expectations in most respects. The only issue was the noisy ceiling but a second floor room would solve that.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor won't have creaking ceiling issue- but there are only stairs, no eleva...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank xidaer
Urvi7, Manager at Red Roof PLUS Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to give us review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Again, thank you for completing our Hotel and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 845-462-7800

Reviewed 3 November 2011

I conduct business in Poughkeepsie every month and stay at this location. The staff is always friendly and often when I arrive to check in and I state my name they reply with "We have been expecting you Mr. LaBelle".

Last night they were very busy at arount 9:45 PM and Joanne was great she was being pulled in every direction possible and the service she was giving was still Great!!!!

I will be back next month...........

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank John L
supeight, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to give us a feedback, which is extremly valuable to us, so we can utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest including you my Labelle experience the best it can be.

We will see you next month.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

Like MBCNY, I was leary of staying here based on previous reviews, but was very pleasantly surprised. The staff was great--even got us an extra pillow for the bed without any problem. Room was very clean and well cared for. Bed was clean and very comfortable. We had a king room and it was very large! Microwave in the room, but no refrigerator. We were only there one night to be relatively close to a bike trail we were riding the next day, but could have easily stayed there several days without any problem. Only reasons I gave this a 4-star instead of a 5 was: we could really hear the people upstairs walking around, even thought they weren't particularly noisy; and the breakfast wasn't as good as we've had at other places like this--2 kinds of cereal and a couple pastries. Would definitely stay here again if in the area, though!

Room Tip: We had the king room which was really large! Only about 45 minutes from the Harlem Valley Rail Trai...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Reading_travelor
supeight, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Thank you for taking you time to let us know about you experience. We hope to see you in future.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

I was very worried about staying here because of all the negative reviews, but I needed a place that would accept pets and the Super 8 did. I, along with several members of my extended family ended up staying here because of a funeral. The staff was wonderful to us. The room I stayed in was a designated pet room so I expected the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were no odors and it was very clean. The amenities were basic but suited our needs for a short stay.
So, if you are looking for a place to stay at a good price the Super 8 is fine.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MBCNY
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Rooms not cleaned, bedding dirty (body odor from previous guests)...staff helpful, but could care less. Breakfast buffet had stale food. Showers good. Sign outside stating that the land is for sale as Prime Commercial Location means they are waiting to tear the place down....so no one there cares about these ratings, cause it will be gone soon....we can only hope...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank sammythefish
Reviewed 27 June 2010

When we checked in, our room smelled like sewage. The bedspread had holes in it and the pillowcases were dirty. It looked like someone had been living there for months. I would have just left immediately and gone to a different hotel. However, they do not refund money under any circumstances. We asked for a different room and were given one that was much better, but still not great. Our towels had huge holes in them and the hallways were filled with cigarette smoke. As for breakfast, would you eat anything from a place like this?? After complaining we were offered 15% off our next stay. Needless to say, there will not be a next stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank NwEnglndGrl
Reviewed 2 May 2010

There was no elevator. The phone did not work. There was a smell of mildew everywhere. There was a spider on the stairwell wall. There were punch holes in the wall and the bathroom door that have not been repaired. The price is at least thirty dollars above the value. Pay thirty dollars more and stay at the Poughkeepsie Grand or The Hampton Inn next door. This cannot be a typical Super 8.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business