“Improving”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Boston, Massachusetts
“Improving”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stay here frequently and things seem to be improving. The staff is very friendly. It was very quiet during our most recent stay. The new management company is making improvements to the building. It looks like they have an interest in getting the place back in shape.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

From my last stay the hotel was cleaner and seems to have a lot of new employees. The girl who checked me in was very sweet. We checked in around 8 pm and the heater did not work in our first room. She apoligized and moved us rooms. The heat still did not work. We were too tired to move again. In the morning when my husband and I checked out. The lady in the morning was very rude when were explaining the issues in the room. She was an older lady. I did not catch her name. There was also a man that claimed he was the GM I believe is name was Robert. That was yelling at an employee in front of us guests and then procceded to ignore our issues when we talked to him. I found this unprofessional distrubing ftom both the front desk lady and GM. If i choose to go back I hope not to encounter either one of them. If we ever go back.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank carterleslee
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I use to stay at the Mercury Grand once a month for many years but I started noticing back in 2012 how the hotel was going down hill. I stopped staying there, I was told recently by a co-worker that the hotel was under new management. I thought I would give it a try, I was glad I did. The new company seems to have made small yet very effective changes to the hotel. The room we stayed in 218 looked and smelled clean. The room actually looked inviting which was a major change from before. The hotel is old and in need of updating but it looks like the new management company is trying to update it. The front desk staff was very friendly and breakfast was great. I will be staying again and referring people to stay here, best price in Poughkeepsie. Way to go New Management Company!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Amanda P
UK
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

A pre-booked trip and this was on our list of hotels staying for one night thank goodness. We were first offered a room on the front facing the road after asking for a quiet room. One entering our heart s sank the windows did not seem to be double glazed and the room felt dank and from the 60's. We asked for a move and the staff member agreed showing us a room on the other side of the corridor. We certainly did not feel a warm welcome here. We were concerned that we might be the only guests as the car park had only one car and it was early evening. We just wanted somewhere to rest after a long drive from Niagara. We saw the room had not been properly cleaned there was dust and minor debris at the sides of the bed near the cabinets. However the bathroom although old fashioned seemed to have been cleaned. the room smelt of damp or was musty how I wish I had read the reviews on this hotel before staying.the girl on reception did not seem to know much about the area and informed she was brought in as cover for someone else.
In the morning we went to the dining room for breakfast but noticed other people did not bother. The whole presentation of the room and food was enough to put you off. We had coffee and made a quick exit.
We attempted to complain and find someone in authority and took a card from the reception and found the address was not correct. We have complained via our travel agents City Tours Maine and requested our money back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve1724

Travellers are raving about these Poughkeepsie hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

OK, I read a few reviews about his hotel before I went there, not many had a good opinions. I, however, am getting a bit of expert of budget hotels, and this one was the one of the best. My room is a big, bed is kingsize, the bathroom is basic but clean. And all staff I met were all very friendly. Breakfast was included, not exactly 5 stars Michellan, but the price I paid for this hotel, all and all everything was beyond acceptable. What other people expect from this price range hotel really ?
It is a good deal in my not so humble opinion !

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor on the corner.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Holycow1812
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I wish I had read the reviews on this hotel before staying there! If I listed all the things wrong with it I would run out of space. Let's just have the "lowlights": Smelly - first room smelt of mildew, we moved - second smelt of smoke and not the legal kind! Room had a hole punched in the wall; ripped curtains; damaged toilet seat; dirty bath tub; carpet had never seen a vacuum (dirty edges and m&ms on floor); Ice machine had a thick layer of mold on it; vending machine had every item "sold out"; towels were stained; heating was off and the room icy at check-in; smoke detector was beeping.
Now the staffing: Front Desk not blatantly rude, but clearly annoyed and inconvenienced at our daring to check in and ask to room change due to the room being uninhabitable. The girl there had a telephone call with someone to complain that "Home girl aint here yet, probably late again" - I guess she was on unwanted overtime. We asked for a rollaway bed and after arguing with us as to whether they could provide one, she told us "the girl with the key went home and took it with her so we have no rollaways" - we needed an extra bed in the room so this made for an uncomfortable stay indeed! When we noted the need to move as the smoke detector would keep us awake, she seemed annoyed and said the tech was on the way (it was midnight), we insisted on moving. Second room was better, but still dirty.
Breakfast: don't try it unless you have a very strong stomach. We were there first thing and the presentation was dirty. eggs like rubber, potatoes floating in water, sausages looked undercooked, fruit flies around. The attendant was pleasant- she left her I-Pad and papers she was reading at one of the tables, and offered to make a waffle for one of our party. We took coffee and left.
Tried to find the name of the General Manager to bring these items to someone's attention - I can't believe anyone would intentionally run a hotel like this; unfortunately the business card web address is wrong too.
This place is truly horrible - hope you read this before going and are spared our experience.

Room Tip: One wing seems to have been renovated - still dirty but new and dirty not old and mildewed.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen D
Hopewell Junction, New York
Reviewed 20 October 2013

this place in a word is DISGUSTING.The list of things wrong is endless, so I won't waste your time, but it will tell you this. The hotel is so disgusting that even though they wouldn't refund my money, I STILL didn't stay there. Gross, dirty, no bar, no restaurant, no pool, dirty dirty dirty. Oh, did I say dirty? Ewww. Never again....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business