“Nice stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Watertown, New York
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We were in town to visit husband's family. Stayed here as it was closest to his family home. Since he lived just through the woods from the hotel he watched it be built.
Had a very nice room, quiet and very clean. Housekeeping did a very nice job each day. Not many channels on the tv, would have liked another outlet or two for phone charger and laptop but we made do.
Ok breakfast though because of gastric bypass I can't eat much so I'm a poor judge.
My only complaint was when it rained, the ceiling in the lobby was leaking and buckets were put out to catch water. Too bad, it's a pretty lobby.
Will be anxious to try their Indian restaurant when it opens as we love Indian food.
We do plan on staying here when ever in town. The rooms were nice, clean, comfortable beds, and very nice and helpful staff.

Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Rhinebeck, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Not a bad place to stay, but not great either. It needs a lot of refurbishing. The rooms were dated and not well cleaned. I found Cheerios on the floor in my room and a swarm of fruit flies in the bathroom. I could not tell where they originated but I must have swatted 30 of them over the course of my stay. I had to keep the bathroom door closed at all times to avoid an invasion. The common areas had holes in the roof with water leaks/seepage.

The staff was friendly nevertheless and I had no complaints about their willingness to help out. They provided me with an old microwave and old fridge: in the room upon request.

The location of this place was very well centralized and that was a true saving grace.

If you are a college kid or solo, this place might not bug you (fruit flues aside). Stay away if you are a family or business traveller looking for amenities.

I think the hotel needs major renovation and pest control.

I can't give it a poor rating but compared to other places that I have stayed, I cannot rate it as anything but average (and barely)... which was earned by the location and the friendliness of the staff.

I would advise the the traveller to try another chain and give this place some more time to improve.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AK L
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stay here frequently and things seem to be improving. The staff is very friendly. It was very quiet during our most recent stay. The new management company is making improvements to the building. It looks like they have an interest in getting the place back in shape.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

From my last stay the hotel was cleaner and seems to have a lot of new employees. The girl who checked me in was very sweet. We checked in around 8 pm and the heater did not work in our first room. She apoligized and moved us rooms. The heat still did not work. We were too tired to move again. In the morning when my husband and I checked out. The lady in the morning was very rude when were explaining the issues in the room. She was an older lady. I did not catch her name. There was also a man that claimed he was the GM I believe is name was Robert. That was yelling at an employee in front of us guests and then procceded to ignore our issues when we talked to him. I found this unprofessional distrubing ftom both the front desk lady and GM. If i choose to go back I hope not to encounter either one of them. If we ever go back.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank carterleslee
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I use to stay at the Mercury Grand once a month for many years but I started noticing back in 2012 how the hotel was going down hill. I stopped staying there, I was told recently by a co-worker that the hotel was under new management. I thought I would give it a try, I was glad I did. The new company seems to have made small yet very effective changes to the hotel. The room we stayed in 218 looked and smelled clean. The room actually looked inviting which was a major change from before. The hotel is old and in need of updating but it looks like the new management company is trying to update it. The front desk staff was very friendly and breakfast was great. I will be staying again and referring people to stay here, best price in Poughkeepsie. Way to go New Management Company!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Amanda P
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

A pre-booked trip and this was on our list of hotels staying for one night thank goodness. We were first offered a room on the front facing the road after asking for a quiet room. One entering our heart s sank the windows did not seem to be double glazed and the room felt dank and from the 60's. We asked for a move and the staff member agreed showing us a room on the other side of the corridor. We certainly did not feel a warm welcome here. We were concerned that we might be the only guests as the car park had only one car and it was early evening. We just wanted somewhere to rest after a long drive from Niagara. We saw the room had not been properly cleaned there was dust and minor debris at the sides of the bed near the cabinets. However the bathroom although old fashioned seemed to have been cleaned. the room smelt of damp or was musty how I wish I had read the reviews on this hotel before staying.the girl on reception did not seem to know much about the area and informed she was brought in as cover for someone else.
In the morning we went to the dining room for breakfast but noticed other people did not bother. The whole presentation of the room and food was enough to put you off. We had coffee and made a quick exit.
We attempted to complain and find someone in authority and took a card from the reception and found the address was not correct. We have complained via our travel agents City Tours Maine and requested our money back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve1724

Travellers are raving about these Poughkeepsie hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

OK, I read a few reviews about his hotel before I went there, not many had a good opinions. I, however, am getting a bit of expert of budget hotels, and this one was the one of the best. My room is a big, bed is kingsize, the bathroom is basic but clean. And all staff I met were all very friendly. Breakfast was included, not exactly 5 stars Michellan, but the price I paid for this hotel, all and all everything was beyond acceptable. What other people expect from this price range hotel really ?
It is a good deal in my not so humble opinion !

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor on the corner.