“LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE !!”

Mercury Grand Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had a clean room. that was it. do not believe the website. it has nothing related to the hotel . no pub,restaurant. no working ice machines, had to go to front desk and deal with the rude desk clerk and wait in line. no local tv channels to check for weather updates.showers sucked.the continental breakfast was a little bit to be desired but they had it !! pool was empty.have stayed in worse, but this place ranks down there.stairs were long and no elevators.the hotel in general VERY run down.but the room and beds and shower were clean - this is all it had going for it.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank d2dano

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Even though the website said there was a restaurant and lounge that was not the case. The restaurant was there but when we asked when it opened we were told "it doesn't". There was no rate card or checkout times posted on the door. The front desk called at 11:15 to ask if we were checking out. I said we would be out within the hour. "Steven" then told me if we weren't out by Noon he would have to charge for another night. I pointed out that there was no checkout time posted and he said, "they should have told you when you checked in". He called again at 11:45 to be sure we were leaving. He was very unfriendly when we checked out. You have to get ice from the front desk as there are no functioning ice machines. Soda and water from a machine costs $2. Will never stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Claire C
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have slept in bunk beds where I found it easier to fall asleep. The bed I lay on was stiff as a board. Unfortunately, I was more restless than dead tired. Okay, I chose to stay there because it was the least expensive hotel room I found in the area. Hence the very good rating.

There was plenty of hot water for the bath and shower that I took. More than enough towels to dry off.. A hair dryer & heat lamp to help the drying. There was even an included breakfast that featured a freshly prepared Belgium waffle. No charge for the local call home.

Room preparation left out the soap which was promptly provided when I called the front desk.

I was sorry that the Belgium waffle had not been more crisp. I rate the breakfast as unworthy of praise but my only real complaint was that it lacked apple juice and hot cocoa. As to the ice machine. I did not go looking around for another after I found the one nearest my room did not work. The soda machine beside it wanted $2 for a 20-oz. I could have overcome this by having bought soda elsewhere.

Bottom line. For something romantic, I will go elsewhere. For a comfortable bed, I will go elsewhere. To crash after an exhausting day of work, I might return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank nature_man1
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We were in town to visit husband's family. Stayed here as it was closest to his family home. Since he lived just through the woods from the hotel he watched it be built.
Had a very nice room, quiet and very clean. Housekeeping did a very nice job each day. Not many channels on the tv, would have liked another outlet or two for phone charger and laptop but we made do.
Ok breakfast though because of gastric bypass I can't eat much so I'm a poor judge.
My only complaint was when it rained, the ceiling in the lobby was leaking and buckets were put out to catch water. Too bad, it's a pretty lobby.
Will be anxious to try their Indian restaurant when it opens as we love Indian food.
We do plan on staying here when ever in town. The rooms were nice, clean, comfortable beds, and very nice and helpful staff.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Not a bad place to stay, but not great either. It needs a lot of refurbishing. The rooms were dated and not well cleaned. I found Cheerios on the floor in my room and a swarm of fruit flies in the bathroom. I could not tell where they originated but I must have swatted 30 of them over the course of my stay. I had to keep the bathroom door closed at all times to avoid an invasion. The common areas had holes in the roof with water leaks/seepage.

The staff was friendly nevertheless and I had no complaints about their willingness to help out. They provided me with an old microwave and old fridge: in the room upon request.

The location of this place was very well centralized and that was a true saving grace.

If you are a college kid or solo, this place might not bug you (fruit flues aside). Stay away if you are a family or business traveller looking for amenities.

I think the hotel needs major renovation and pest control.

I can't give it a poor rating but compared to other places that I have stayed, I cannot rate it as anything but average (and barely)... which was earned by the location and the friendliness of the staff.

I would advise the the traveller to try another chain and give this place some more time to improve.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank AK L
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stay here frequently and things seem to be improving. The staff is very friendly. It was very quiet during our most recent stay. The new management company is making improvements to the building. It looks like they have an interest in getting the place back in shape.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

From my last stay the hotel was cleaner and seems to have a lot of new employees. The girl who checked me in was very sweet. We checked in around 8 pm and the heater did not work in our first room. She apoligized and moved us rooms. The heat still did not work. We were too tired to move again. In the morning when my husband and I checked out. The lady in the morning was very rude when were explaining the issues in the room. She was an older lady. I did not catch her name. There was also a man that claimed he was the GM I believe is name was Robert. That was yelling at an employee in front of us guests and then procceded to ignore our issues when we talked to him. I found this unprofessional distrubing ftom both the front desk lady and GM. If i choose to go back I hope not to encounter either one of them. If we ever go back.

• Stayed: November 2013