“Great Value Hotel - I Strongly Recommend”

Mercury Grand Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
New Jersey
“Great Value Hotel - I Strongly Recommend”
Reviewed 2 November 2009

It's a very beautiful hotel as soon as you enter it.... the staff is very frandly and ready to help from check in to anything you want to know about the areas. Delicious food in the restaurant. Fantastic bar for drinkers. Best full service hotel in poughkeepsie, Fishkill, wappinger falls area in terms of quality of service and money you pay for that. Great Value Hotel, I Strongly Recommend.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
USA
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Let me start with a disclaimer...a friend and I decided, AT THE LAST MINUTE - (2 wks out), to attend the NYS Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck. Everything for miles around was booked. We were able to book a non-smoking (important to us) room with two beds, including hot breakfast, for $89/Friday, $125/Saturday (AAA rate). (compared to $209+ each night nearby).

Pros: The room was clean, the beds were comfortable (double-sheeted blanket), and the breakfast was good. They offered excellent scrambled eggs, two meats each morning, hash browns, french toast, fresh fruit, coffee, milk, & juice, along with cereals, english muffins, and bagels. We asked for a room away from the Comedy Club (based on recommendations here) and got it. FREE Wi-fi. Fitness Center. Coffee maker in room.

Cons: There was traffic noise from the street, although it was drowned out by the sound of the heater (thankfully I brought earplugs) and the thermostat was tempermental. The ice machine didn't work (but the desk clerk escorted me into the kitchen and personally filled my cooler from the giant ice machine there). The shower was demon-posessed. Only cold water would come out of the shower head while hot water came out of the "bath" nozzle, pooling around my feet because the drainage was "less than adequate."

If not for the full, hot breakfast, I would agree with a previous reviewer and say that it is not quite up to par with other AAA three diamond hotels. For us, because there wasn't much to choose from, it served its purpose...and considering the breakfast and free wifi...was actually a value for the price we paid.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
New York, NY
Reviewed 12 October 2009

For the $189 I payed for this hotel, it was not worth it! It was a sad hotel in need of an extreme makeover. The room was outdated, and they must have been covering a smell, because the room was heavily covered in a potpourri. The carpet was stained and dirty. Our room was in the basement level, and the corridors from the main stairway was not even lit down there. And the complimentary "hot" breakfast was not delicious. The "hot" eggs tasted like metal. The orange walls of the dining hall was ugly and the furniture belonged in a dump. Basically, it was not an appetizing room to be eating in at all. I never ever want to go back to this hotel. Its says its a three star, I would say its half a star, at best.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mid-Range_Traveler

Travellers are raving about these Poughkeepsie hotels

Philadelphia
Reviewed 5 October 2009

The room was ok - I don't think it rates 3 stars. However, a wedding reception which was hosted at the hotel during our stay could have been taking place in our room. There can't be any sound proofing at this hotel. We were told the event would end at 9:30PM but it did not end until 10:30PM. We were one of many travelers who complained to the front desk attendant who was non-responsive.
Then at check out I found that my card had been charged an additional 25% for 'incidentals' - the front desk' attendant's words. I asked to speak to the manager who said this was typical billing policies. I asked why there wasn't any type of notification and he just continued to say it was standard billing policies. He then proceeded to charge my card the correct amount and now my account is reflecting 2 charges because the 1st charge has not dropped off yet!
I think this is fraudulent billing by this hotel and I intend to notify the BBB and AAA.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JTDH
Long Island
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We arrived for a weekend getaway. We had 2 rooms for 2 couples with children. Upon check-in, one room was completely filthy and unmade. We were then swiched to another room that had a musty smell, stained and burned bedsheets, non-working lamps, non-working clock and I can go on. The other room was also just as bad. The hallways had a musty odor and the hotel is simply disgusting. The only nice part of the hotel is the lobby, which is deceiving. Other hotel guests were also complaining. The sign says AAA gave it a 3 star rating. I am going to contact them and see if this is true or outdated. Definitley do not stay here!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Eastquogue
Worthing,W.Sussex,UK
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Having read the reviews of this hotel, we were worried about what we would find. In fact, we were pleasantly surprised. The room was quite comfortable and the restaurant was very good. The hotel does need some updating but generally is ok. On arrival we were given a voucher for 10% off an evening meal and a free breakfast buffet which was pretty good. Would recomment this hotel to anyone who does not want to spend too much.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Central New York State
Reviewed 30 September 2009

I had read some bad reviews about this hotel and was nervous about our stay. We stayed on a Saturday night- there were two shows at the comedy club and a loud wedding going on. Bass was thumping loudly in the front of the hotel. I requested a quiet room away from the noise and got a nice, clean, quiet room on the upper level (rm 375). It was a long walk from the car to the room and I didn't see an elevator so this could be an issue for those that have trouble with stairs. The room had a king size bed, couch, desk, desk chair, small TV, two phones, bedside tables, lots of drawers, coffee pot, hairdryer, iron & board, closet, nice bath, and free wireless internet. Everything worked in the room and we slept well. Had to go down a floor to find an ice machine, this floor had smoking rooms and the hallway reeked of cigarette smoke. The front desk staff was friendly. We didn't partake of the included hot breakfast so I can't comment on that. A great value for $79 from Priceline!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple