“Pet Friendly, But Don't Plan on Leaving Your Pooch in your Room.”

Mercury Grand Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 8 June 2010

We choose the Mercury Grand because it was pet friendly however they did not inform us of their ridiculous pet policy when we booked over the phone, one of the women at the front desk said she did but we would not have stayed here if we had known that. (also nice being told you're a liar by hotel staff) They DO NOT ALLOW YOU TO LEAVE YOUR DOG IN THE ROOM NO MATTER WHAT, even crated. You have to lay down a $50 deposit which is nice because most hotels charge 25 a night for a pet, we'll see if they come with some excuse not to give it back. We booked a king bed they gave us two double beds and did us a "favor" by giving us the book we booked and payed for, after we complained. The staff was friendly for the most part, the guys in the restaurant are great, one of the female front desk employees clearly hates her job and cares little about hospitality, more concerned with smoking a butt and drinking a cup of coffee. I guess we should have been more concerned with the fact that this hotel has heart shaped jacuzzis, that gives you a good idea of what kind of hotel it is. If you are staying in Poughkeepsie go with the Residence Inn, they allow you have dogs and don't expect you to keep them with you at all times.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Milo1988

Reviewed 6 June 2010

Don't be fooled by the pictures of the rather lovely lobby. This is probably a defunct Holiday Inn now owned by an independent. It is two stories with no elevator. Once you leave the lobby you are somewhere between a 1970's motel and a third world country. The halls are not air conditioned and the acoustical tiles therein are stained and crumbling. The beds and linens date from the same aforementioned era. When I booked this the publicized rate was the second highest in Poughkeepsie which I thought portended something pretty nice--and there was, of course, the virtual tour of the lobby and the description of a stream running "through our property". Lest you be led into thinking this is some country retreat, it's on busy highway and there's a creek out back. The dining area was so hot and the food so unappetizing that we didn't have so much as coffee either morning. Oh, and the desk clerks were either surly or never looked up from their newspapers. Tonight we are in a Hampton Inn and think we've landed at the Ritz.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kingoftheroad60742
Reviewed 27 March 2010

My husband booked us a jacuzzi room for our anniversary, he thought it would be nice to get the show, dinner and room package. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not very familiar with indian cuisine, but I have to say, it was excellent. For those of you not into it, the restaurant did offer many american staples on the menu, but I think if you are dining at Spice Aroma in the hotel, you would enjoy their many indian items, which, btw, are not all spicy, some are pleasantly flavored with just a mild kick. After dinner, we went to the comedy show right there in the hotel, which is a great deal. We went on a Saturday and it was $15 admission and included 3 comics performing. Also liked the fact that there was no drink minimum there, as many comedy clubs have. The waitstaff was very friendly and personable, and the drinks, while not extremely cheap, were made well... no measured pours there! We stayed in a jacuzzi room, and unlike many of the reviews I read, were clean and comfortable. The following morning I was impressed to see a free hot breakfast in the restaurant which was included for all hotel guests. Nice change from the usual continental cereal and danish fare that is usually found at hotels. All in all we had a very nice stay, especially for the price. I would certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Not an upscale place, but better than your drive in motels and priced only slighly higher than most motels. Slightly older, but clean, comfortable rooms. Breakfast was good. Staff was ok. Location is probably the biggest issue - its a bit further away from everything. Overall good value.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2010

My GF and I have stayed at the mercury motel several times cause of the comedy club. The customer service is the best out there but when you have a problem just expect to be unhappy. We ate at the Grill located in the hotel. The food was good as long as you don't mind waiting over an hour for a cold dinner and when we complained I had to call several times only to have found my new reservations weren't logged in for our stay. The room we wanted was taken so we took a sweet hoping for a better price like we were promised. After it was all said and done we paid the regular price. Its too bad because they lost a customer. There are just too many hotels near by that are cheaper.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We stayed at the Mercury Grand for two nights. Friday night we watch Ralphie May in the 'Comedy Basement' aka Bananas Comedy Club. We stayed in one of the jacuzzi rooms which was also a smoking room. The room was clean and ready, but did have a 'smokey/funky smell' which was too bad. I would recommend bringing a can of Lysol or air freshener. The window to the outside does not lock, which I found kind of odd, and since it was on ground level on the side of the building, which made us kind of concerned. Beds were comfy, house keeping did a good job, jacuzzi was really nice (make sure to put towels around the outside if you fill it too much, cause it does spill over when the jets are on causing the carpet to become wet.). The free breakfast consist of scrambled eggs,bacon,sausage,waffles,toast,muffins,fruit,coffee,juice, and milk. The food was ok, nothing to brag about. You just walk in and serve yourself. The price was decent. The hotel could use some work, it does show its age. It did serve its purpose. It was really quiet on Friday night, then Saturday it was a tad bit noisy, but not bad. The only thing we did notice, the room next too us too had a jacuzzi and it is kind of loud if they use it when you are trying to sleep (sounded like they had an issue with the jets since it wasn't on long. If they have another good comedy act, I would stay again. Ralphie May put on a good show, and spent time after the show taking photos and signing autographs until everyone was gone. We had a few drinks in Harper, and that was good too. We did not try any of the food at Harpers or Spice Aroma. If you go in with high standards, you will be upset..it is clean, but could use some fresh paint and carpet. Staff was friendly, and helpful. I would call to purchase tickets to a show directly through the hotel. I purchased online through ticketweb, and it was more expensive than at the door. We were able to reserve two other tickets for friends and they saved 9 dollars compared to us. It was about an 1:20 drive to NYC from the hotel once we got off RT 9 which can become congested with traffic.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2009

Well, it all started when we had wrong directions from the hotel - it is located on Rt. 9 but also says South Rd. (and the directions told us it was on SouthGate Rd.). When we pulled up - there was one small sign that showed it was the Mercury Grand and the first set of automated doors in the lobby were broken (jammed halfway open). The hotel was kind of musty smelling, and we had been trying to call them to get directions (with NO answer). There was one person at the front desk and a not-so-pleasant bartender in the bar. The woman closed down the bar when she felt like it that night as well so we were only able to get one drink.
We weren't in the room that much - but when we left I accidentally left a $70 straightener behind. I called about five times during the week that I came back - and was getting the same answer "we'll check with housekeeping....oh they're not here right now". When i finally got them to give me an answer - i was told that housekeeping hadn't found any belongings in the room i stayed in. Which is funny because the straightener isn't the only thing i left in there. When I tried to contact the management office, i was told to press a lot of numbers (after getting to voicemails) - and was taken right back to the service desk. Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009