“Clean, Convenient, Quiet and Friendly”

Courtyard Poughkeepsie
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. We were in town for five nights to conduct research at the FDR Library in Hyde Park, about 15 minutes north on Route 9. We asked for and received a microwave and fridge, then went over to a nearby Price Chopper and bought some breakfast and lunch items. We didn't bother with the hotel breakfast, which costs extra; but free coffee is available 24 hours a day. The room was quiet and spacious and everything was spotlessly clean. The front desk staff were as friendly as could be. We requested extra pillows and blankets and they were delivered almost immediately. I am not crazy about having the bathroom sink outside the bathroom, but at least in this case the bathroom, and the alcove with the sink, were right inside the entryway in the room so that the light in the alcove would not disturb one's travel partner if one had to use the sink in the middle of the night. The property is adjacent to the Samuel F. B. Morse home and gardens. The Morse site has beautiful walking trails. Speaking of exercise, the hotel fitness room was very clean and was equipped with two elliptical trainers, three treadmills, a stair stepper, and a couple of stationary bicycles. There were plenty of clean towels, and the drinking water was in good supply, as were cups, as well as disinfectant wipes. The pool area looked very nice; I didn't go in. We ate at the Red Lobster just south on Route 9 one night . It is an older restaurant in the chain but perfectly nice. We also ate at the Culinary Institute of America three times. Call waaaay in advance for reservations. It's a great experience to visit the campus and dine in any of the restaurants there. We also ate at the Artist's Palate in downtown Poughkeepsie, Excellent! I would definitely stay in this hotel again. I will say that the mattress, although comfortable enough, did not seem to be as plush as the ones I have slept on in other Marriott hotels. I note that the negative reviews of this hotel are quite dated; perhaps the hotel has been upgraded since the time they were written. I don't think guests will encounter any of the problems described in the 2003 reviews!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 October 2009

I could hear the people next door all evening and then again early next morning. Noise level between room was terrible. Also there was a sewer smell coming from the sink. Mildew on the shower curtain also. I was not impressed and most likely will never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2009

There didn't seem to be many reliable hotels near the Thruway. Lots of scary looking places with strip clubs next door. Even though we paid what I think was way too much ($180) for this hotel, I am still glad we shelled out to stay at the Marriott.
The hotel was nothing special and neither were the rooms. The sink is in its own hallway leading to the shower/toilet room, which I hate because it means you can't immediately wash your hands. It is also really loud if someone gets up to use the bathroom during the night, because there is no door to close off the sink (plus the light goes on over the sink). It is a bad set-up. I probably wouldn't stay here again, but there didnt seem to be much choice. Either really expensive B&Bs that require a 2 night stay, or super sketchy roadside motels. This was a decent in-between choice. Parking was at least free.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mack09
Reviewed 24 July 2009

Rooms have a strong perfume/disinfectant odor, which I was told was from their carpet cleaner. Had to sleep with the balcony door open to "air out" the room. The odor irritated my allergies and I had to seek medical attention. Room TV "sticks" on a channel. Room doors do not easily open, so door slammings and people grumbling were heard up and down the hallway throughout the night and early morning hours. Night front desk clerk was extremely rude when I complained and kept calling the room to harass me. Overpriced breakfast with leather sausage and runny eggs. The internet service is not free and is not secure. Maid and maintenance man both ignored the "do not disturb" sign and barged into the room. I was supposed to stay two nights, but left after one. There are other hotels in the area, and I moved to the Hampton Inn, where I was treated to a comfortable room and friendly staff. Definitely avoid this Courtyard.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 13 July 2009

As a Marriott Rewards member, we typically stay at Courtyard by Marriott since the service, cleanliness, and ambiance are very consistent. Got a AAA rate of $116/night but have to say we were disappointed in this property for a one night stay, with several problems encountered that were disruptive. In Courtyard fashion, the regular king room was not very large, but sufficient for the two of us, however, I don't care for the sink location outside of the bathroom. The room was very clean and up to standard otherwise which is obviously important, but we discovered no remote control for the TV and called to have one brought up. Second, the air conditioning system (no thermostat) was quite noisy shutting on/off and you really couldn't do much to control the temperature. Third, there was a wedding party staying at the hotel - upon check-in I observed information about shuttle service to the event. That should have been my cue to ask if my room was going to be amidst the wedding party, but I didn't. Mistake. About 1:30 in the morning, we were woken by loud shouting in the hallway which continued into the adjacent room; fortunately they must have passed out because the noise abated. I think that if the hotel knew we were not in the wedding party they should have placed us elsewhere without having to be asked - I don't think the hotel was fully occupied. Obviously, between the A/C and the shouting it wasn't a great night's rest. Finally, about 9 AM as we were still preparing to check out, the fire alarm went off - called the front desk and were advised of a smoke condition in the kitchen (not harmful to the rooms) and the alarm stayed on for about 15 minutes until the fire department arrived. On the plus side, the location was convenient to our visit to Hyde Park attractions (the reason we booked here) and nearby restaurants, including Dunkin Donuts if you prefer to skip the hotel's breakfast. Based on our stay I would only recommend this property with some reluctance given the alternative - due to reading a recent review of the nearby Hampton Inn & Suites where the guests say they accepted a dirty room and were forced to clean it themselves; the Courtyard is obviously preferable, especially if you can secure a quiet room that I am quite sure will be cleaned for you.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I was very impressed with the high quality of service at this hotel,the rooms were very clean ,linens were changed ,the tub was cleaned, there were extra towels . It's very quiet at night and the front desk staff are very helpful, and on the two occasions that we needed something it was sent up promptly. There is a red lobster nearby on Rt 9,south of the hotel, and there is an Ihop about 1/4 mile from the hotel. Another great place to eat is Hudson's on Rt 9 south ,about 8 miles from the hotel. Baby back ribs and seafood are their specialty and they do both very well. There is free internet access in every room and there is a business center where you can print directions and events free.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2009

The hotel is pretty good. Nice and friendly staff. When you check out ,you can get a free of cup coffee or tea at the coffee bar.
From an European point of view the location is not excellent, since you have to drive out of the city to get there. The swimming pool and jacuzzi are clean and very comfortable.
For dinner I would suggest going to the Coyote Grill next door (on the right). You can just walk over there. They have very nice dishes and excellent mojitos.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
#5 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY

Been to Courtyard Poughkeepsie? Share your experiences!