“Great location for Poughkeepsie Area”

Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Was booked at this hotel by the Culinary Institute of America for a program held for our son for two nights in July. The location is immediately on Route 9 and located within 5 miles of many shop, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Is about 5 miles to the Culinary Institute of America, 15 miles to the Vanderbilt Mansion and Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) House, and about 45 minutes to West Point Military Academy.

The breakfast was plentiful with cinnamon buns, eggs, sausage, ham, make your own pancakes, cereals, yogurts, fruit cups, bagels, assorted breads, juices, coffees, teas, etc. Complimentary cookies, coffee, tea, and USA Today and local newspapers are provided.

Our room was quiet and did not face the highway. It was spacious enough, but only had double beds (much smaller than we were used to). The room itself had a refrigerator, microwave, iron, ironing boards, and travel essentials.

Overall, the hotel is a much older hotel showing obvious signs of wear, but was clean. Check in/check out was quick and efficient.

Room Tip: Be sure and ask for a room located away from the front of the hotel so it is not facing the Route 9...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Teambono
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie during your recent trip to visit our lovely area's historic sites and the CIA! I was very happy to read all of your positive feedback with our hotel about our delicious complimentary breakfast buffet, daily fresh baked cookies and complimentary USA today paper available for all of our guests everyday. We would be honored to welcome you back to stay with us again during your next trip to Poughkeepsie. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were here for a week while visiting relatives. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. We needed a few more clothes hangers and they were happy to oblige. The complimentary breakfast had a wide variety and something for anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time out to share your experience at our hotel with the TripAdvisor community! Our friendly and helpful staff is here 24/7 to assist with all guest requests, so we were happy to provide those extra hangers to you. Our dedicated pantry staff always puts in that extra effort to ensure our complimentary breakfast buffet is up to the high standards that our guests deserve and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. We would love to have you back to stay with us again during your next family visit! We offer great group discounts for family reunions too!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We went to Poughkeepsie to celebrate our wedding anniversary with dinner at the Culinary Institute of America and decided to make a day of it and stay over. The staff were all very nice and accommodating. We have a king room which was clean and very comfortable. The outside pool was perfect at the end of sight seeing on a hot day. All and all an enjoyable stay. Oh and Hyde Park has a drive in movie theater. You never see them anymore!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Momacita
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

We are thrilled that you chose to stay with us for your wedding anniversary trip! I'm sure that the Culinary Institute of America was the perfect dinning spot for you both on your special day. Since we are located so close to the Culinary Institute, it is so much more convenient to just stay overnight with us instead of enduring a long drive home after an indulgently delicious meal. Thank you so much for detailing your satisfaction with our staff and clean, comfortable rooms. Our outdoor pool and patio is a popular spot during the beautiful Dutchess County summer weather and I'm glad that you enjoyed it! The Hyde Park drive-in movie theatre is a great landmark that was established in 1950! I have been seeing movies there since I was a little girl and I have to say it is certainly something worth traveling for, there's no better way to watch the latest movies! There is SO much to see and do in Dutchess County. We hope that you will come back to visit all of the wonderful area attractions that you did not get a chance to view and that you will stay with us again when you do!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our room was facing the back, so we did not hear any sounds from the highway. I don't know if other rooms are quiet. They have a large parking lot, which was nice for us, pulling a trailer. The desk staff gave us a late checkout and allowed us to leave the trailer in the lot until 5:30 pm after checking out. I think we could have left it longer, if we had needed to.

The only negative was a smell in the room when we arrived. After we turned on the air conditioner, the smell slowly dissipated.

I was surprised that the rate was $131 for Thursday night and $176 for Friday night. That seemed very high. I did not check other hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vickys-Guy
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for your 4 star review of our hotel! We are lucky to have thick walls that provide a quiet experience for our guests staying in our newly redecorated rooms. I am glad that you enjoyed our complimentary parking on-site, which can accommodate multiple large buses and trailers for maximum convenience. Our staff is here to offer great hospitality to our valued guests even after their stay is over, so we were happy to allow you to leave your trailer in our parking lot until 5:30pm after checking out. I do want to apologize for the temporary smell in your room, we have already had our maintenance staff take a look at this and the issue has been eliminated. Our room rates are very similar to the other Poughkeepsie hotels, it just happened to be a very high demand weekend in the area during your visit. I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to stay with us again soon at our beautiful Holiday Inn Express in Poughkeepsie..this is the perfect time of year to visit the many Hudson Valley farms and farmers markets in the area! Happy Summer!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed here since it was close to the FDR mansion, and were happy with our choice We had a wonderful king room, with comfortable furniture. The only blip was our error in arriving a day after our scheduled reservation. We must have hit the wrong date on their website when making the reservation. We were very embarrassed about this, but the Assistant GM, Oliver, who was manning the front desk handled the situation beautifully. The hotel was very busy with wedding parties, so our error could not have been appreciated. In spite of that, we were made to feel very welcome, and Oliver was able to locate a room for us.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with the Tripadvisor community! You are not the first guest to accidentally book the wrong reservation arrival date and we are always happy to assist as best as possible no matter how busy the hotel might be. We are here to accommodate and assist our valued guests in any way possible and our great staff will always go above and beyond to do so! I hope that you enjoyed your visit to the historic FDR Estate & Library. If you have not yet visited the Staatsburgh State Historic Site/Mills Mansion or the Vanderbilt Estate I encourage you to make another trip to the area to tour these amazing mansions. We are also located almost directly across the street from Locust Grove, the birthplace of Morse Code inventor Samual B. Morse! If you would like any further suggestions of local historic sites and other tourist attractions please feel free to contact me to help plan your next visit!

Cheers!

(845) 473-1151 ext.147

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here the night of a college reunion. The hotel is conveniently located, room was well maintained and clean. I liked the selection of pillows (soft and hard) that were labelled accordingly on the side of the pillowcase. Bed was comfortable. Check in was friendly and efficient. Breakfast had a nice selection of items and plenty of tables to sit at. Overall, a good place to stay a night or two if you need to be in Poughkeepsie.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

I am so pleased that you chose our hotel for your college reunion visit! We strive to provide comfort, convenience, cleanliness and friendly, efficient service to all of our guests...thank you so much for your recognition of this! We would be honored to have you back to stay with us again. Independance Day weekend is coming up and there is no better place to watch the 4th of July fireworks than on the Poughkeepsie Waterfront. If you haven't already made plans I would recommend a weekend getaway to view the Poughkeepsie Firework Spectacular, the hot air balloon launches (taking place all weekend in Poughkeepsie and at various spots throughout Dutchess County) and the Dragon Boat Festival and Race! It's going to be a can't-miss weekend!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My mother was terminal in Vassar Brothers hospital. I arrived at HIE after 48 hours of no sleep and after stopping at 3 other hotels on Rt 9 on the way to Poughkeepsie looking for shelter. I hadn't slept in 2 days after rushing from California and I looked like crap. I had already tried 3 other hotels on Rt 9 and they all wanted $160 or more. The hostess at the desk offered the first reasonable rate at $150 and she took the time to ask why I was in town. When I told her my Mom was terminal in Vassar Hospital and I just needed a place to crash she found a room, made sure I was aware of ALL of the available conveniences and gave me the VBH hospital rate without asking. I cant tell you all how cool that was. It is very hard to find a business that OFFERS assistance rather than take advantage of you when you are in need. The room was perfect. Breakfast was GREAT and the staff was so cool that they stayed on the buffet and cleaned and filled before you would notice it had even been used. I've been all over Europe and in about 25 states in my travels and the HIE in Poughkeepsie has the coolest staff, environment and supervision for the money of ANY place I have been. They truly are a class act and the best in town at the very least. They made one of the most difficult times in my life manageable and the other Hotels really need to take some notes from these cool people on how to provide SERVICE. I thank you all. You are awesome. When I come back I will certainly stay there.

Room Tip: Just tell the hostess your needs, she will take care of you. I felt like I was having my Mom find m...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Wow, what a wonderfully heartwarming review, thank you so much! I am so very glad to know that during this difficult time for you we were able to ease some of your burdens by providing you with honest, convenient accommodations. It is unfortunately difficult nowadays to find businesses who truly care about the well-being of their customers and I am lucky to say that our hotel's honest staff truly looks out for the well-being of our guests over anything else. We offer the Vassar Brother's Hospital rate to any guests visiting patients at the hospital, as well as visiting nurses and doctors. We also have a rate with the Mid Hudson Regional Hospital (formally named Saint Francis Hospital). I really appreciate your kind words and naming us the best hotel in town! We would be honored to welcome you back to stay with us again under happier circumstances..Dutchess County is full of amazing tourist attractions perfect for weekend getaways!

Sales Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
#5 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY

Been to Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie? Share your experiences!