Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Vassar Alumnae House(Poughkeepsie)
View Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie(Poughkeepsie)
Highland Motel(Highland)
Poughkeepsie Inn(Poughkeepsie)
View Hotel
All reviewsattached garagewedding venuecocktail hourhudson riverlobby barwalking bridgeson's weddingshuttle busbuffet styledecent sizevery nice hotelstayed two nightsking bedup to datebeds were comfortablepoughkeepsie areagrandview
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Arrived 11/2/13 for a wedding. Early check in was no problem. Room size was large Room 921. Older style wall heater. A/C was off. We had very warm weather for November. Window opened and cooled room nicely. Beds were firm. Front desk was helpful and very polite. Free parking for guest. Package came with breakfast. Nice selections and cook right. Bar in lobby most mixed drinks were 6 dollars. Waitress at table side served us once and then had to go to bar guess a 3 dollars tip for four dinks wasn't enough, even after our table became 10. It was faster to go to the bar. would go back again if we travel to Poughkeepsie again

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I've stayed here several times over the years and I also grew up in Poughkeepsie. Several other reviewers have referred to this hotel as being located in a seedy part of town etc.
in fact, it is located basically at the corner of main and market streets which is the heart of downtown and one of the nicer sections of downtown. It is one block from the main police station, across the street from the county courthouse and adjacent to the civic center. It is also one block from the historic barduvon theater and a couple of decent bar/restaurants.

I can confirm that the attached parking garage, which is multiple-leveled and "open" can be a bit spooky at night and all users should have some situational awareness , but I am not aware of a crime wave at that location.

The hotel is not part of a chain so it suffers from not meeting common "standards" and probably lacks the financial resources to do routine updates which it needs. It also suffers from a random collection of front desk clerks who lack consistently in their approach to customer satisfaction so don't expect any special attention.

Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Charles D
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed two nights at this lovely, completely renovated hotel in downtown Poughkeepsie. We even returned for a third night after staying in a B&B we were unhappy with. The people are really friendly and accommodating. We had bicycles, albeit cheap ones, and they stored them for us with easy access. This hotel also has free parking. We were touring many of the mansions, historic sites and museums and this was centrally-located.

They do serve a nice off-a-menu breakfast.The rooms are more expensive on the weekends but worth it.

I don't know when the other reviews were written, but I did not get a sense that this is an old hotel trying to be modern. I thought it was very up-to-date with amenities.

This hotel needs to update its website with modern views of the rooms and lounge area. I told them that while we were there. The website is not current and does not reflect the renovation.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the Hudson River.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CoyoteBrokenFoot
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Unfortunately many old downtown hotels struggle to keep up with the times and this is one of them. They make a grand effort on the surface but it's still an old hotel. One of the worst beds I've slept in -- soft, uneven, and lop-sided. If you get a room above the 17th floor, you get a great view of the Hudson River and the bridges. Bathroom shows signs of rough use - broken floor tiles, messy caulking, relined plastic tub enclosure (not sure it really fits), hair dryer broken, etc. Forget it if you need to plug in a laptop/electronics -- there aren't any plugs without unplugging lamps/TV! Do not advise walking outside after dark -- pretty deserted and uneasy feeling. Restaurant food was good, but service was really slow and understaffed.

Room Tip: Get a room above 17th floor on river side for a good view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My grandfather accidentally lit a cigarette in the room he's diagnosed with Parkinsons disease and rarely smokes. I told him to immediately put out the cigarette. After going out to dinner I come back to a locked room and wheel my grandfather to the front desk. A asian woman at the desk (older woman) said we are kicking you out and you must leave NOW security will escort you out. I was in SHOCK my 75 year old grandfather in a wheel chair can barely do anything and they kicked us out at almost 11 p.m. Security was very polite but the Asian woman was HORRIBLE to us she said "she smelled smoke and that's the end of it now get out".

NOW HERE'S WHERE IT GETS BAD. They NEVER told me about the $250 they took out of my grandfathers account for the smoke smell (which I didn't smell at all), plus the room fees. So I'm thinking were fine we have a few hundred lets go to Super 8 (very cheap $100 a night). HOWEVER, we get to there and I roll my grandpa inside. The attendant swipes my gpa's card and it won't go through and IT'S 11:30 p.m almost midnight at this point. To sum it all up, we stayed and slept in my small ford focus car overnight with no money nothing and had to cut my trip SHORT. NOW my grandfather is dead and this place ruined our last trip together.

P.S 4 TO 5 SECURITY GUARDS AND AT LEAST 4 OR 5 OF EMPLOYEES WERE OUTSIDE SMOKING WHILE THEY ESCORTED US OUT!!!!!! THE WHOLE PLACED SMELLED LIKE CIGARETTES.

I stayed here once with a family member because I visit Poughkeepsie on a regular basis. I've probably stayed at over a dozen hotels/motels in the area especially South Road. When I walked in the hotel the lobby looked nice but THAT IS THE EXTENT! To park your car you must use an above parking garage, then walk down a dark parking lot and take a few OLD elevators AND EVERY SECOND I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO BE ATTACKED.

OVERALL HORRIBLE HOTEL, HORRIBLE STAY, NEVER WOULD RECOMMEND THIS ATROCIOUS PLACE UNLESS YOU WANT TO STAY NEXT TO A HOMELESS SHELTER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY LOOKS REALLY ROUGH.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family