“Thinking of having your wedding reception at the Poughkeepsie Grand????”

Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Kingston, NY
“Thinking of having your wedding reception at the Poughkeepsie Grand????”
Reviewed 24 July 2004

My husband and I recently were married and had our wedding reception at the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel. It was horrible! When I read all the other reviews, I wonder if the people who wrote them have really ever been there. Working with Dana who works with the Bride and Groom was excellent. She was great! But, the day of the wedding came, and I realized The Poughkeepsie Grand really isn't. First, so many weddings and functions are going on at the same time, I could barely make it down the hallway. The decor is very out dated (you can see this on their website) and if you shop around for places to have your reception in this area, you will find this is NOT your best selection. You can find something much nicer for cheaper. The food was fair. The service in the dining room was good. I was most displeased with the way one of my guests was treated. One of my guests became ill at the reception. She left the room and sat in the lobby waiting for a ride. While waiting, she vomited on one of the chairs. (We were charged a $100 cleaning fee for this by the way.) When she attempted to go to the bathroom she was told no and that she had to leave. When her husband asked the general manager (who just happen to be in the lobby) if she could use the rest room quietly, this was a wedding they would be very discreet. He was told "You've had your wedding." I was not there but, I had heard this story from 3 of my guests. Needless to say the way my guest was treated was unprofessional. She was ill, not a drunken slob to be thrown out on the street. And the fact that our special day was demoralized is a bigger slap in the face. More areas for opportunity: Lost luggage (they lost my wedding dress! Not to be found until 3 weeks later!), the food should be served hot, more servers needed, new carpet, new beds in the room (they are sunken!). If your guests arrive 5 minutes prior to cocktail hour, they are left outside in the lobby to wait, the outside of this hotel could use a good pressure cleaning, and if you need anymore, feel free to email me. I DO NOT want you to let the Poughkeepsie Grand ruin your wedding day.

25 Thank Lisa D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed 11 February 2004

When I visted the Grand Hotel I very pleased tom the way they treated me and my family the way they were promt to when ever we needed and the food was delious but my daughter fell in love with there hot chocolate and they have so many types of coffee I tried at lease 10 different types and it was decorated beatiful the front desk was allorganized but thats what I thoght of the show.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 January 2004

this place is horrible. they did a great job designing the website because everything looked fabulous. the hotel itself is a piece. the elevators from the parking lot to the hotel were broken, the "free breakfast" was crap, and the worst part was the hotel room. the lobby was obviously redecorated since the 80s but the rest of the hotel is very dated. the room was disgusting-carpet was ripped at corners and stringy, the bed was very old and sunk in, and the furniture was very old and dingy. spend your money somewhere else.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Southend, UK.
Reviewed 4 January 2004

On my recent first vacation to America, this was the first hotel I stayed in during the beginning of November 2003, and turned out to be the best hotel I stayed in during my trip.

Its not the cheapest in the area, but seemed the most convienient for me. I booked directly through the hotels Website (The cheapest way to book compared to Expedia prices) and placed a note in the message box asking if the complimentary hotel shuttle bus could pick me up at the local train station at the time I was due to arrive there. I had no loose change for phones and was unable to phone the hotel to confirm this with them, but when I arrived at Poughkeepsie train station, the Shuttle Bus was there waiting for me! The main purpose of my visit was to see Jefferson Starship at The Chance Theatre just up the road, as well as time to get over the jet lag, and to do some local shopping, staying here two nights! The Hotel shuttle bus also gave me a lift to The Chance on the first night, and a lift back to the Train Station on the day I departed. I think I may have also been given a better room then I had paid for. It was on the top floor of the hotel, with a lovely view overlooking a bridge (Not sure which one!) and the local area. The Room was spacious, and clean, with a comfortable chair, a large TV and a comfortable bed, and good sized bathroom. Certain types of phone calls were free from the room, and nearly every floor contained vending machines with different food and drinks in them, which came in handy when I needed a snack or drink!

The hotel staff were friendly and enjoyed chatting to a person from England and helping me out with my questions. There is not much in the way of shopping in the town itself, although there was a couple of good cheap internet cafes, in easy walking distance of the hotel, which helped me with my communications back home as well as good cheese bagels!

The Taxis seemed in great demand during my visit and it took about 20 mins to wait for one that the hotel ordered for me. It cost me $10 including tip to get to the Poughkeepsie Galleria in a fast taxi. I then found out there is a slightly slower local bus stop directly opposite the hotel, which costs 75 cents each way. Certain busses take you to the local shopping mall (Poughkeepsie Galleria) for some cheap shopping (With the current UK to US exchange rates!) on everthing from shoes to music cds, as well as cheap restaurants and cinema's.

Not sure if I would specifically go back to Poughkeepsie on my next vacation to New York (Unless Jefferson Starship perform there again!), but if I ever go back to Poughkeepsie, this is the only Hotel I will be staying at! Highly Recommended.

3 Thank StarshipUK
Reviewed 22 November 2003

I was at the Poughkeepsie Grand on September 6, 2003. Not only was the service Excellent but the Staff was Highly Professional. They handle all the situations that day professional and ran a proficient business.
The name that rings out the most was the manager "Holly" Despite of the sitiuation put before her she handled them with class and respect

Reviewed 22 November 2003

I travel extensively for my job, and recently I had to good fortune to stay at the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel. This hotel more than meets and compares to the finest hotels in New York City. I couldn't believe how the staff went out of their way to accommodate all of me needs and requests. Whenever I have the occasion to come to New York in the future, I will always stay at the Poughkeepsie Grand. Keep up the good work!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 September 2003

Although everything was beautiful and the food was good, the staff at the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel proved itself to be arrogant, unfriendly, and very unprofessional. They refused to honor a wedding-guest rate, despite a request that the manager take into consideration that the bride had not filled in a "cut-off" date on the enclosed hotel card and the fact that at least two other guests who made reservations after the arbitrary cut-off date were given the wedding-guest rate. They insisted on charging the extra $40 for the room, and the hotel management, represented by "Holly," was cold, indifferent, and rude.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member