“Phenominal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Going into brothers trattoria for my first time was a memory itself. Walking in and being greeted by the boss with a friendly smile who kindly sat me next to the fireplace. I was in shock, a cozy comfy atmosphere it felt like I was just at home! Our server was so kind and kept checking in on us to make sure everything was okay. I had an amazing meal, I could not have enjoyed it anymore. I was stuffed from the huge portion that arrived for dinner. The boss even came back to make sure our expiernce was remerable, which it was. I couldn't wait to go back just to find out the results were also a success. I now come to Brothers frequently and I would highly compare Brothers Trattoria as an upscale Italian resturant in mahattan. I have visited New York City many times and been at many high class restaurants, and Brothers is easily equivalent to any of those restaurants.

1  Thank Caseeey

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Dined here on 8/31/13. The Restaurant is located in a strip mall between a drug store and a nail salon. The interior of the establishment is beginning to show signs of wear and the drop ceiling is in need of cleaning. Both the service and food this evening were disappointing.

I had the Seafood Risotto from the specials menu and my wife had their Gnocchi con Portabella. Although the Seafood Risotto was served as a gargantuan proportion (easily 3 cups) of cooked risotto with a generous proportion of clams, mussels, shrimp and chorizo splayed over the risotto, the dish missed the mark. The shrimp was freezer burned and tough and the risotto was lamentably bland. The chorizo was sufficiently spicy but was the only flavor in the dish. After finishing the mussels and clams, which did seem fresh, and avoiding the shrimp, I was left with spicy sausage and a mountain of white starch. In no way did the risotto compliment the seafood, it simply took up (a lot) of space.

Unfortunately The Gnocchi con Portabella from the regular menu didn’t fare much better. This dish too was a generously proportioned mound of carbs but lacked flavor. What should have been a “slam dunk” of taste, turned out to sit quietly on the plate. The creamy red sauce was tasteless and unimaginative.

We have had decent service in the past, yet tonight our waitress was irritated and it showed. Our reservation was early, 5PM so I can’t imagine she was overwhelmed. I’ll chalk it up as just a bad night.

We’ve eaten at this location before and have had better experiences. However, judging by this recent dining adventure, I’m wondering if this restaurant hasn’t passed its prime. Perhaps Brothers is heading the way of one of those restaurants that will pile on cheap starch so older dining patrons can box up their leftovers and believe they’re getting a great deal. To claim the title of “best Italian food in the county” would require a greater investment from the back of the house team. Honestly, this restaurant is hit-or-miss.

1  Thank Mister C
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife and I have been going here for about a year, weekly! It is the best sauce , and food in the county. Owners and staff are great, prices are very reasonable. We love this place.
Pros, great food at great prices. Very fast service.
Cons, none

1  Thank Mark G
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Having been recommended as a must try local eatery I was more than pleasantly surprised to find this gem only 15 minutes from where I live. From the moment we arrived through seating and service we felt comfortable and relaxed. The menu has so many great choices that it is necessary to return multiple times and I have done so for numerous birthday and anniversary celebrations. All of our guests agree that Brothers Trattoria is now a new favorite. Most shockingly of all is how they manage such a high level of quality at such unbelievably reasonable price points. Well done and well deserved reputation from a seasoned traveler and reviewer.

1  Thank itsthateasy5813
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My wife and I dine at Brothers in Poughquag, NY, frequently when we are in the mood for good Italian food. The casual atmosphere is great and the servers are friendly and knowledgable. The menu has all the traditonal favorites and each evening there are a variety of special dishes offered. During our last visit we enjoyed the combination chicken and eggplant parmagiana, with a side of linguine pasta with red sauce, and the chicken francese over pasta. Both dishes were outstanding. I would highly recommend Brothers to anyone looking for a fine meal.

2  Thank Jim2525

Been to Brothers Trattoria? Share your experiences!