“Decent Stay - Woefully Understaffed”

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Goshen, New York
“Decent Stay - Woefully Understaffed”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Just returned from a quick, two-night spring break getaway with our two daughters (8 and 5), and overall, it was about what we expected. We arrived at 2, check-in was immediate and our room was ready, even though check-in formally wasn't until 4. We went to our room and found it to be spacious and clean. We quickly changed and went down to the water park.

The water park is obviously the main attraction to staying at the lodge, and overall, I would say we got the most out of it. The biggest issue for us was just how understaffed the park was. There was no one checking wristbands at the entrance (then why state you have to keep them on for the length of your stay?) and no one to prevent young kids from entering on their own (then why state no one under 13 may enter without a parent?). I would say the park needed several more lifeguards to attend everything adequately - particularly the raft rides, where only one lifeguard was allowing people onto the three different rides, when one more lifeguard up there would have made the wait minimal and have the process run much more efficiently. I am also assuming that the lack of staff is what often kept one of the raft rides (either the family raft ride or the two individual raft rides) closed. When there are so few rides, to have any of them closed for any amount of time is a huge issue. The raft rides themselves are not great - all of them are completely dark for the entire ride. Considering their role, I don't think it would be age discrimination to point out that I question the ages of some of the lifeguards, as some were so old, I would worry about them hurting themselves if they did have to take action.

In addition to removing the evident rust and mold, and some paint touch-ups, what the water park would benefit most from is a separate pool for kids to simply swim on their own, rather than just an area where people use to enter and exit the lazy river. The lazy river does move swiftly and during the entire length of my stay, I never saw any of the lifeguards intervene despite extensive rough housing going on.

As for everything else - the room showed some age, with a broken lamp and paint peeling. I'm still trying to figure out why the shower would have a shower curtain that does not reach to the tub, because water was dripping onto the bathroom floor. Ate at Johnny Rockets one night, and while the food was good, again, there were so few servers, that some people were waiting up to 30 minutes despite there being plenty of empty tables. If you have the chance and are willing to take a short drive directly out of the Lodge entrance, check out Docksiders restaurant, great food and nice people right on the edge of Lake Glen.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We enjoyed the waterpark for one full day and the Six-Flags Great Escape the next. Rooms were a bit small, but clean. Only ate lunch at water park (not in hotel), which was fine. Coffee shop in hotel was convenient.

Nice for a weekend. If you stay longer than a weekend, visit other Lake George area attractions, rent a boat, swim the lake.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Johnstown, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We found a great overnight deal through Groupon . The lodge was wonderful. Rooms had a nice size fridge and small microwave. It helped off set food/drink cost. We were able to bring sandwiches and snacks. All the slides and attractions were open and staffed while we were there. Loved floating in the lazy river and my girls (11 and 7) loved the slides and wave machine. Johnny Rockets was very good the next morning. Plus we were able to stay at the waterpark for a couple of hrs. after checkout(could have stayed longer if we wanted to). We didn't see any reason to purchase the locker, just kept a bag with our clothes under one of the deck chairs. The all you drink soda cups were nice also. We will definitely come again, maybe in the winter next time.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a locker after checkout. All you need is your clothes to change into.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel W
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

It's a great place for a weekend visit but not a long stay. The hotel room was clean and nice but had a real strong chlorine smell in the entry way closet. The water park was fun but would be better for older kids. I wasn't too impressed, I wouldn't drive out of my way to go there again. Be prepared to spend lots of money when your there!

Stayed May 2013
2 Thank DRMcIntyre
Vermont
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I've been here several times over the last 4 years, always a nice place to visit. Recently the water park has become very run down. Mold, stains, chipped paint everywhere, broken Slides with metal gates surrounding them, and the overwhelming strong chlorine, lack of staff.

The rooms are nice, big...starting to show their age as well. Stains, pealing wall paper.

Gift shop and kids club prices weren't bad. Lobby very inviting.

I honestly would only stay again if I got a good travelzoo or groupon deal.

My standards could be higher because of my recent visits to Jay Peak indoor water park. Clean, open, bright, uses some salt water.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank kcrwley

Travellers are raving about these Queensbury hotels

New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I went with my cousin and my two children 3 and 7 and my sister and brother in laws and their two children 6 and 9. We booked a family room which had a kitchen, two full baths, 3 queen beds and a pullout sofa couch. The waterpark is small but had plenty of things for the kids to do. I liked that the waterpark was right inside the resort so we could get out and go right to our rooms and change. I loved the whole log cabin feel and the room and hotel was clean. There is a game room for the kids, a gift shop, a kid's craft center and a coffee shop area as well. There is also a Johnny Rock's restaurant on premises with good food. I liked that everything was on site. All in all my children loved it and so did the adults.

• Stayed March 2014
Albany
Reviewed 10 April 2014

While the design of the hotel is beautiful, we thought the rooms were starting to get run down relative to the cost. Lots of activity at night but they had a quiet time curfew. Of course, our kids loved the park. The bogie boarding/surfing ride was exceptional. Staff at the waterpark were good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
#9 of 88 in Lake George
Red Roof Inn
Red Roof Inn
#3 of 11 in Queensbury

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!