“Family Friendy Fun”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Kingston, New York
“Family Friendy Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

The great escape lodge offered our family several different ways to spend time together as a family. We were able to enjoy the waterpark, the adventure trek, and we were within walking distance to the great escape. Overall it was a wonderful family weekend getaway!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My stay started off bad, we got to our room and it was not properly cleaned ( we found the prior guests personal belongings inside ). I called the front desk to report this and had to ask them to come retrieve the property in case the guest called for it. They should have suggested the pick up instead of saying "I'm sorry, I will note it for housekeeping". Second I was misinformed on season pass information. Lastly what put my stay over the top was my six year old was panicking in lazy river as his 8 year old cousin (that could bearly touch the ground ) was attempting to pull him out of the water as the lifeguard just watched. As I had to run from another level to help them. I informed management and can you believe NO ONE ever attempted to check to see how my son was doing. I attempted to call the higher UPS at this location with NO response back. Very disappointing. This was my kids favorite vacation spot.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Diane M dos Reis
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I traveled to this hotel with my husband, 2-year old and 4-year old children for Father's Day weekend 2014. This one-star review is for the 'Great Escape Lodge' part. The indoor water-park was clean and staffed by vigilant and friendly employees, and I would give 4-stars. Minus one star because some of the rides closed unpredictably early Saturday night.

The lodge has serious personnel issues and dank, poorly ventilated, moldy rooms.

The rooms at the lodge are moderately kept. In this kind of facility, ventilation is of utmost importance, since the water park makes all inside areas very humid. Just outside the entrance to our room, the large (14'x14') central air-conditioning unit was spewing water across the path required to get to the side-entrance.

After we waded through this mess, we got to our room. The room smelled dank, but the hotel was full, so we settled -- the kids (2 and 4) were excited to get started on the water park activities. Especially after the long car ride.

We realized our mistake when we got back to our room after our first swim -- the ceiling of the bathroom was falling down from extreme moisture penetration into the walls. I realized that there was no proper ventilation to the bathroom. I am pretty shocked that they wouldn't keep the rooms up-to-date. It is a pretty basic, straight forward upkeep to remove moisture saturated plaster and repaint, but this wasn't done. By the end of our three-night stay, our daughter's asthma had kicked into full gear. I didn't realize how bad the mold and water intrusion was at first -- I should have checked out sooner.

On the day we left, I called to ask for a late check-out. 'There are no more late check-outs available,' said the hotel clerk. This was okay (after three days, I was water-park-ed out anyhow, and this is a nice excuse to give a 2-year old.). So, I went down to check out of the room. (I was hoping to be quick so I could catch a bit more time in the water park.)

I walked to the main, front desk and asked to check out, and I wanted to talk to them about the water problem in the room. This concern was totally ignored (dismissed without so much as saying they would even look into it); instead, the hotel came up with some fraudulent charges to my room:

The clerk, 'Karen' said there were additionally charges to my room. I asked what charges, and she told me that I had had breakfast for two the previous morning. I told here that I didn't make any additional charges to the room. (My family always buys breakfast at a local grocery store -- it is more economical and more relaxing than having to take two small children 'out to eat' so early, when all they want to do is swim.) She said, 'wait a minute, I will be back with my manager'.

The manager (Jason Martin) came back -- he asked what the problem was. Clerk Karen explained, and I said 'those aren't my charges'. He told me to 'wait a minute'.

He came back with a receipt in his hand. He said, 'here is the receipt, its signed, and you're paying.' I told him again that those aren't my charges. He said, 'look here, I've got your signature, and you are paying'. He flashed me the receipt. I told him that those weren't my charges -- they were fraudulent, and I asked him to repeat what he said so that I could record it and to give me the receipt so that I could take a picture. I asked him 'why would I complain about a restaurant charge that is {<10%} of my room charge?' He said 'it doesn't matter, you're paying!'. I said 'but they are fraudulent, and someone forged my husband's information.' He said 'oh, no, you said fraudulent, so I'm not helping you anymore'. I told him that he had better take those charges off, or I would be forced to call my credit card company. He said, 'yeah, you're paying'.

-- At this point, I am totally embarrassed. There are other families, witnessing him harassing me and treating me like some sort of criminal. Did I mention that I had my 2-year old son with me? I felt totally humiliated by this treatment. I was literally shaking, I was so upset and embarrassed. --

So, I called my credit card company right there to report the fraud. From my glimpse at the receipt, it looked like someone had written down my husband's name and our room number. My husband and I didn't tell anyone our room number -- the only people privy to that information were the hotel staff. I felt twice violated that they gave out our personal information, then insulted me in such a public way.

Finally, after I got through to the fraud department at my credit card company, the manager, Jason came back with a Director (Michael). While I was reporting the fraud to my credit card company (MBNA -- great service), they calmly told me to just get whatever information I could and leave -- they wouldn't make me pay for any fraudulent charges.

After much pomp -- and AFTER I completed the call to my credit card company, the manager produced a receipt for me with the restaurant charges refunded. And he acted like he was doing me some sort of favor. I managed to get a picture of him and the fraudulent receipt on my smart phone before I left, just in case.

My advice is to stay away from this hotel. I am currently in the process of getting a new set of credit cards issued. I am still shocked that the management didn't care that someone stole my family's information. I am not sure if this theft is worse, or it is worse the horrible, accusatory treatment I got when I mentioned the problem. I went home more stressed and upset than I had been at the beginning of the weekend. And, my daughter's asthma is still flaring up from the mold in the room.

20 Thank allegrande

Travellers are raving about these Queensbury hotels

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We took our Girl Scout troop for the weekend. Overall the stay was ok. The staff at the front Dell was very polite, friendly and helpful. The kids had a great time at the Waterpark. Our biggest problem was the bathroom. For some reason the shower curtains don't completely close on both ends of the tub so by the time 12 people have showered the floor is completely covered in water. Otherwise all was well and there is so much to do outside of the lodge two days wasn't enough. Hopefully we will visit again soon.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Corinth, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Trash under beds, coffee pot and ice bucket weren't clean. Rooms smelled like cigarette smoke.
For the price of these rooms they should have been very clean. Didn't offer any discounts, free breakfast or free stay. The children activity's and the water park were very good!

3 Thank rachelrt2014
The Woodlands, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

When they opened the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark we used to live in Clifton Park, NY. We could never attend the Hotel as it was always booked months in advance. Last march we went with our kids and 2 of their friends.
The Park is a average, could get more atractions. My son enjoyed the flow rider.

The stay at the hotel was below average. The rooms are big but no confortable. They use a memory matress foam in all beds - but this seems to be low quality, as I had back pain from it.

In Their main restaurant the food is tasteless and overcooked. We had almost all meals at Friendly's.

West Mountain is near and the kids enjoyed skiing.

Room Tip: Go to the park but stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MF018
Upstate New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The staff was wonderful at the lodge. The Klub Moose suite was amazing for the kids. The kids club was also wonderful. There were a few issues with the TVs in the rooms and a few fixes that could have boosted the room's atmosphere. BIG TIP.....GET THE COKE CUP ASAP. Huge money saver! The lifeguards were terrific and tested right in front of patrons. The arcade was pretty cool, but prizes a bit chincey. We will head back when we can save up the money or find a good deal. 14 year old had fun but it was a stretch for her to have a lot to do just in the lodge and Waterpark.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mitzubachi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
#9 of 87 in Lake George
Red Roof Inn
Red Roof Inn
#3 of 11 in Queensbury

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!